Contract

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dral

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To any of you who finished residency/fellowship recently or are about to...how did you handle the contract? Did you review it yourself or get a lawyer? If you went the lawyer route, did you use someone who specialized in contract law or do you think most lawyers have the general ability to give advice about medical position contracts?

Members don't see this ad.

To any of you who finished residency/fellowship recently or are about to...how did you handle the contract? Did you review it yourself or get a lawyer? If you went the lawyer route, did you use someone who specialized in contract law or do you think most lawyers have the general ability to give advice about medical position contracts?

I would definitely get a lawyer to review the contract unless you plan on signing something very standard (e.g. something at Kaiser)

I would pick someone who specializes in contract law and specifically, with physicians. They will give you the best advice on how and what to counter with. Many of these lawyers should give you a discount as well if you mention you are a graduating resident or fellow

Members don't see this ad :)
Good to know about the discount thing. Do you think it's important that the lawyer be in the state where one's prospective job will be located?

Not a huge difference, I used a lawyer closer to my residency program just because other residents had recommended her. If you are looking into a particularly competitive area and wanted to see if salary, bonus, vacation, 401k benefits, etc... are competitive with other offers in the area, then a local lawyer may be more helpful but I would still favor a lawyer that others have recommended if possible.

Get a lawyer even if its with a big organization. You'd be surprised about little "mistakes" that can end up in there.