Contractility

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringmd1015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
does Contractility increase w/ Increased HR? BRS says it does bc w/an increased HR, you'll have a higher Intracellular ca2+ concnetration. Its not listed in FA so thats why im asking.

Members don't see this ad.

Not necessarily. Things that affect heart rate have a chronotropic effect, while things that affect contractility will have an inotropic effect. While a lot of times we will see both an increase in contractility and heart rate together (ie. sympathetic activation), that is not the rule. For instance, the drug Digoxin will have a positive inotropic effect, but will have a negative / no effect on chronotrophy. Hope this helps.

i get what youre saying, but it didnt answer the context of what my questoin was asking, i wasnt asking if chronotropic and inotropic effects will always be the same, im asking if by increasing your HR(chronotropic) can increase your contractility, A/c To BRS, its true. Its not mentoined in FA so its either its something they left out, or not important enough.