contracts with hospitals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j_sde

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
quick question...

someone mentioned to me that a downfall of being an anestheisologist is that when you are 50-60 years old... and have already been working in a pratice/group/contract with hospital..... you are vulnerable to the hospital changing contracts with another anesthesia group provider.... and leaving your group out to dry. And as you are dependent on the hospital for business, you really are left to either retire at that point or the hassle of relocating to a different city at your late age.

The situation prob happens to surgeons too... but less often since surgeons are synomonous with the hopsitals they work at usually. whereas, anesthesiologist can be changed without the patient/staff knowin much or carin much of it.

Does this siutaiton happen? If so, what options do anesthesiologist have at that time? Is this why I seldom see any real old ... past 60 year old anesthesiologist? cuz the younger guys will contract less pay/more hours with the hospital? It seems sorta a dire situation to face when your gettin into your old age and arent ready to just retire yet

Members don't see this ad.

I heard this sort of thing happened to a group of senior EM physicians in Arizona. I guess it's possible, but anesthesiology is the number one specialty in demand at the moment. It's hard to know what will happen in the future.