Controlled substances and retail drive-thrus

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by da8s0859q, May 29, 2008.

1. Quick question about retail pharmacy practice.

Someone was telling me that she went to a CVS today - the drive-thru, just picking up a prescription - and was told that controlled substances must be picked up in the store, not in the drive-thru.

Is this a CVS policy, some sort of addendum to the CSA, or what?

2. bananaface

bananaface Pharmacy Supernerd
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Sounds quirky to me. Then again when I was living in a high forgery area, some stores were requiring in-person pick up by the patient with a valid state ID.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Same. That's new to me; was curious if anyone had ever heard of such a thing.

4. Old Timer

Old Timer SDN Advisor
    SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Certainly not official CVS policy. But it may be a high diversion area as pointed out by bananaface....

5. RxWildcat

RxWildcat Julius Randle BEASTMODE!
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I agree with everyone else, if the store has had problems with drug diversion in the past, it makes sense that they would have a policy regarding controlled drugs. At one Rite Aid location here we have a similar policy that all controlled medications require an ID and can only be picked up by the pt. unless the pt. states specifically who may pick it up for them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Pharmer_Andy

Pharmer_Andy pretty fly yo!
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I work at walgreens and the only thing we cant sell in the drive thru is PSE products.

7. RxWildcat

Pharmacist
    so you sell beer? :D

8. Pharmer_Andy

Pharmer_Andy pretty fly yo!
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    haha :laugh: maybe should have been more specific, although the walgreens I work at doesn't sell any alcohol.

9. bananaface

Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    No photos either. That was my pet peeve. "BUT THE 1 HOUR PHOTO IS RIGHT NEXT TO YOU." Yeah, well it's right next to you too, lady. And, I don't work at it.

10. firefighter9015

firefighter9015 It's not THAT kind of study hour...
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    This is why I am VERY glad that the retail pharmacy I work out does not have a drive-thru. The one I was at for my EPPE was and it was a pain in the butt, especially since the desk where I would sit out to do my paper work and MTM was right next to the drive-thru. The clerk/tech (whoever was there) would not stop running around the store all day. It was comical at times.

11. bananaface

Pharmacist
    I think all a drivethru does is make it painfully clear when you are understaffed.

12. RxWildcat

Pharmacist
    Exactly, if you can't have a tech parked at the drive thru during peak hours then its going to be a huge PITA.

13. dgroulx

dgroulx Night Pharmacist
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I just realized that your avatar is a dog on a couch. I never looked closely and always thought it was sheep.

14. bananaface

Pharmacist
    It's my dog Bear. He was sleeping on the basement hideabed in that shot.

There are no sheep in my basement. I promise. :laugh: