Controlled substances and retail drive-thrus

Started by da8s0859q
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

da8s0859q

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Quick question about retail pharmacy practice.

Someone was telling me that she went to a CVS today - the drive-thru, just picking up a prescription - and was told that controlled substances must be picked up in the store, not in the drive-thru.

Is this a CVS policy, some sort of addendum to the CSA, or what?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Certainly not official CVS policy. But it may be a high diversion area as pointed out by bananaface....
 
I agree with everyone else, if the store has had problems with drug diversion in the past, it makes sense that they would have a policy regarding controlled drugs. At one Rite Aid location here we have a similar policy that all controlled medications require an ID and can only be picked up by the pt. unless the pt. states specifically who may pick it up for them.
 
I work at walgreens and the only thing we cant sell in the drive thru is PSE products.
 
No photos either. That was my pet peeve. "BUT THE 1 HOUR PHOTO IS RIGHT NEXT TO YOU." Yeah, well it's right next to you too, lady. And, I don't work at it.

This is why I am VERY glad that the retail pharmacy I work out does not have a drive-thru. The one I was at for my EPPE was and it was a pain in the butt, especially since the desk where I would sit out to do my paper work and MTM was right next to the drive-thru. The clerk/tech (whoever was there) would not stop running around the store all day. It was comical at times.
 
I think all a drivethru does is make it painfully clear when you are understaffed.

I just realized that your avatar is a dog on a couch. I never looked closely and always thought it was sheep.