Controlled Substances Pickup ID Requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luissarah

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am not sure for what is allowed or not allowed with regards to controlled substances pick up.

In CA, my understanding is the requirement is a government-issued identification card (either Driver's License or Passport).

What if the ID card is EXPIRED?

I can see from both sides of the argument. I've talked about with it coworkers but there still no consensus so I'm coming onto SDN to see if I can get better answers.

One side would say the ID is valid because the person picking up IS THE PERSON ON THE ID. However, if you were driving on the streets, you would be required by law to have an updated non-expired Driver's license. I don't see how this is any different for controlled substances pick up.

Of course, the other side would say, no the ID needs to be updated in order to be valid.

Have you ever refused anyone with an outdated Driver's license or passport ID for controlled substances?

Is the Board of Pharmacy black and white on this matter? "No, if the ID is expired." Or do they allow us to make exceptions for extenuating circumstances? AND IF YES, what are these particular instances that are allowed?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe I have read several laws that to be valid, an id must be in date. However, this usually applies to police/legal matters so have not heard anything specific about how it applies in the pharmacy world. That said, I usually give one pass, but after that the id must be in date.

Reactions: 1 users
California regulations actually do not specify anything regarding a government-issued ID, just that an "unknown" person needs to be able to establish his/her identity "properly" for sale of hypodermic syringes for animal use or for pick up of a oral or electronic RX for a controlled substance. BTW there is no age restriction on who can pick up either.

BPC 4075 states the board "may by regulation establish procedures to prevent unauthorized persons from receiving prescription drugs furnished to a patient or a representative of the patient" but there is nothing specific.

To be fair, individual board inspectors may argue a "reasonable" pharmacist would require valid government-issued photo ID to establish identity (as opposed to say a high school ID from 20 years ago or a SSN card). However some companies make it difficult or have no mechanism whatsoever to collect this information (*cough* WM *cough)

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe I have read several laws that to be valid, an id must be in date. However, this usually applies to police/legal matters so have not heard anything specific about how it applies in the pharmacy world. That said, I usually give one pass, but after that the id must be in date.
My experience is similar, that an expired ID is not a valid ID. But this was only in relation to selling alcohol in Iowa, so take that as it is. If a similar law was passed in Iowa, I would assume the ID would need to be not expired.

Why else do you think we check IDs?

It's the last-line of reasoning we can use to deny the dispense.

Texas law reads as follows:

A pharmacist may not permit the delivery of a controlled substance to any person not known to the pharmacist, the pharmacist intern, or the person authorized by the pharmacist to deliver the controlled substance without first requiring identification of the person taking possession of the controlled substance, except as provided by Subsection n

Subsection n reads

A pharmacist may permit the delivery of a controlled substance to a person not known to the pharmacist, a pharmacist intern, or the authorized delivery person without first requiring the identification of the person to whom the controlled substance is delivered if the pharmacist determines that an emergency exists and that the controlled substance is needed for the immediate well-being of the patient for whom the controlled substance is 35 prescribed. If a pharmacist permits delivery of a controlled substance under this subsection, the pharmacist shall retain in the records of the pharmacy for a period of not less than two years all information relevant to the delivery known to the pharmacist, including the name, address, and date of birth or age of the person to whom the controlled substance is delivered.

Deny since expired ID = not valid. You cant do much of anything else with an expired I'd, why would picking up controlled medications be ok?

Deny since expired ID = not valid. You cant do much of anything else with an expired I'd, why would picking up controlled medications be ok?
The argument is that an expired driver’s license has lost its ability to allow you to drive, but still functions to show who you are. I don’t agree with this, but that’s the general assertion.

Reactions: 1 user
The argument is that an expired driver’s license has lost its ability to allow you to drive, but still functions to show who you are. I don’t agree with this, but that’s the general assertion.

What do you think people are actually checking for when they ask for ID?

It's DOB and/or DOE.

You're practically an alien if your ID is expired.

If I know that patient really well then I would let go one time or if they have paper from DMV showing that they already renewed their license. Other than that they just have to grab relative/friend or even a stranger (I don't suggest this but have seen it) with an ID to get their control meds. Quite a few people drive to pharmacy without their driver licenses so our techs always have to remind them at drop off "Have your ID at pick up"

I find the situation rather humorous because we can't get people to get ID's for voting, but with the same groups of people that get defended for not having one, we can impose a requirement for an ID and people will actually comply "voluntarily".

Arizona Drivers License Renewal Guide | DMV.org
For my part, I always found funny how licenses were issued in AZ until recipient was 60 or 65 under the old law. I had 1960s issued licenses handed to me frequently in 2000s. The bald guy with a pot belly was this suave looking pompadeur slick dude in 1970s and I'm supposed to pass him his oxybutinin prescription based on his picture at 15. (They've subsequently required that people retake their photos every 12 years).

If I know that patient really well then I would let go one time or if they have paper from DMV showing that they already renewed their license. Other than that they just have to grab relative/friend or even a stranger (I don't suggest this but have seen it) with an ID to get their control meds. Quite a few people drive to pharmacy without their driver licenses so our techs always have to remind them at drop off "Have your ID at pick up"

The law in Texas specifies that ID isn't necessary if you know the patient really well.

Your company's policy may be different.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why is an expired ID such a big deal to you guys? Can you not identify the patient or is this a concern about the ID being fake?

Why is an expired ID such a big deal to you guys? Can you not identify the patient or is this a concern about the ID being fake?

Depending on the company, it becomes an issue if the system has a hard stop when the ID is expired. So you aren’t able to complete the transaction.
Some companies (Walgreens until recently) keep a written log. Of course, you can bypass that but they don’t want you to. And you’ll get nonsense for doing it.
I believe WM policy states the ID must be unexpired.

Depending on the company, it becomes an issue if the system has a hard stop when the ID is expired. So you aren’t able to complete the transaction.
Some companies (Walgreens until recently) keep a written log. Of course, you can bypass that but they don’t want you to. And you’ll get nonsense for doing it.
I believe WM policy states the ID must be unexpired.

That is only for PSE.

We're talking controls.

That is only for PSE.

We're talking controls.

At Walmart you still have to enter the expiration date for C-II thru C-IVs, as well as CVs. I rarely get caught at the register. I know I’ve had to enter most of the information on the patient’s driver’s license; including expiration date.

To be clear, in the two states I’m licensed in and at Walmart, we have to get the ID and enter info into the system; not just for pseudoephedrine.

At Walmart you still have to enter the expiration date for C-II thru C-IVs, as well as CVs. I rarely get caught at the register. I know I’ve had to enter most of the information on the patient’s driver’s license; including expiration date.

To be clear, in the two states I’m licensed in and at Walmart, we have to get the ID and enter info into the system; not just for pseudoephedrine.

Are you saying you can't scan the ID via some sensor? That you actually have to manually type the information found on their ID?

Are you saying you can't scan the ID via some sensor? That you actually have to manually type the information found on their ID?

Correct. But then again, we’re in the Midwest. If the person has been carded before, some of it is there. You have to enter the rest. Expiration date is one of the blank fields

Or could have changed names...

I just don't see the logic in denying someone a controlled substance prescription because their ID expired 12/31/2017. Does the photo look like them? Is it their DOB? Is the ID real? Just sell it to them. They've been identified.

I just don't see the logic in denying someone a controlled substance prescription because their ID expired 12/31/2017. Does the photo look like them? Is it their DOB? Is the ID real? Just sell it to them. They've been identified.
Would it make a difference to you if the ID expired a few months or a year ago?

Would it make a difference to you if the ID expired a few months or a year ago?

Depends on whether or not I could identify them from the ID provided. Expired ID doesn't mean the person no longer exists.

Nos, what about foreign passports!!??? I have been going to the same pharmacy for the past 2 years with my valid foreign passport and until today this (im thinking new) tech said its not allowed!!! I said "ive been coming here for 2 years like this, check your history. Apprently they don't keep history, because he could not answer but "they have probably overridden it but its not allowed". So i called customer service, and they confirmed ot for me.....they need to train these people correctly!!!

Nos, what about foreign passports!!??? I have been going to the same pharmacy for the past 2 years with my valid foreign passport and until today this (im thinking new) tech said its not allowed!!! I said "ive been coming here for 2 years like this, check your history. Apprently they don't keep history, because he could not answer but "they have probably overridden it but its not allowed". So i called customer service, and they confirmed ot for me.....they need to train these people correctly!!!
I would turn you away as well.

It's sketchy. Trying to dodge PMP?

It may be valid and legal, but I, the final authority in my pharmacy, wouldn't allow it.

I said "ive been coming here for 2 years like this, check your history. Apprently they don't keep history, because he could not answer but "they have probably overridden it but its not allowed". So i called customer service, and they confirmed ot for me.....they need to train these people correctly!!!

History has nothing to do with it, it is the pharmacist on duties complete discreption on what they will and won't accept. "Customer service" can say anything they want to, but they can not force the pharmacist to do something against his/her professional judgement. Just because 1 pharmacist in a store is fine with it, doesn't mean every other pharmacist has to accept it. If you have been living in the US for 2 years, why haven't you gotten a state issued ID?

Curious as to why people would decline a passport?

How can I serve the homeless population who don't have an ID? They have shelter Id's, hospital discharge paperwork and a history with our pharmacy.

Unless the ID expired a long time ago (like more than a month), I feel like the issue is pulling hairs. To be totally honest, I'm not sure how many busy retail pharmacies would even notice... I usually take a cursory glance to see if the person matches the picture and to see if the name and DOB matches ... if name and DOB doesn't match, I question who they are in relation to the patient.

I honestly think a much bigger issue is the lack of control on who can pick up other people's medications, especially for controlled substances. For all the rules in pharmacy that I honestly think are kind of anal, you'd think they'd have some kind of rule about who can pick up other people's controlled substances, but no. Any family member/cousin/"friend" can come pick them up. And that I think is the real issue. If it was only the patient that could pick up, or a designated list of people pre-specified by the patient, perhaps we wouldn't even have to worry about the ID being expired, unless the pick up person had a convincing stunt double with the same DOB.

Unless the ID expired a long time ago (like more than a month), I feel like the issue is pulling hairs. To be totally honest, I'm not sure how many busy retail pharmacies would even notice... I usually take a cursory glance to see if the person matches the picture and to see if the name and DOB matches ... if name and DOB doesn't match, I question who they are in relation to the patient.

I honestly think a much bigger issue is the lack of control on who can pick up other people's medications, especially for controlled substances. For all the rules in pharmacy that I honestly think are kind of anal, you'd think they'd have some kind of rule about who can pick up other people's controlled substances, but no. Any family member/cousin/"friend" can come pick them up. And that I think is the real issue. If it was only the patient that could pick up, or a designated list of people pre-specified by the patient, perhaps we wouldn't even have to worry about the ID being expired, unless the pick up person had a convincing stunt double with the same DOB.

That’s a great point. I think everyone should have to authorize someone to pick up their meds. That should be noted on the profile and the person would show ID.
I’ve had people try to pull stunts on me, but for some reason I can just tell they’re not authorized to pick up. So they get overexcited. Then we call the patient.
Oh retail...