Controversial/Argumentative Topics in Vet Med?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lynne8832

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I have to write a paper in which I discuss a controversial or "hot topic" in animal science/vet med. Does anybody have any resources or recommendations for me? I need to be able to argue both opinions and I am trying to stay away from the generic topics (ear cropping, tail docking, declawing, etc.)
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Ethics of designer breeds (I'm looking at you bernadoodles) or obviously deformed breeds like brachycephalics or munchkin cats.

Reactions: 13 users
1. Breeding in general tied in with overpopulation vs a maldistribution of dogs and cats. I liked "The Dog Merchants" for that one.
2. Animal use in research is a classic.
3. Vet techs acting more like physician assistants, particularly in undeserved areas. More of something I've noticed in facebook comments rather than a thoroughly explored topic.
4. Distributive model vs teaching hospital model in vet med education and whether or not schools without a VTH should be as expensive.
5. Not enough vets vs maldistribution of vets leading to vet shortages. Ties into "reasons" universities have recently justified opening new colleges/schools of veterinary medicine over the last 5-7 years. Also ties into debt of vet school.
6. Limited licensure vs comprehensive licensure in vet med.
7. The effects on vet med if animals were to no longer be considered property. Out there for sure and probs not a lot of info on it.
8. Some states allowing people to keep wildlife as pets and tying that into the welfare of wildlife
9. Ethics of zoos/aquariums

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Depopulation methods in large animal food production

Some good NYT articles on that in the last year, at the very least.

Horse racing could be another large animal option.

Reactions: 1 users
Ooh also -- the opioid crisis or antimicrobial resistance. Responsibilities for veterinary prescribers, impacts on human health, pet well-being, etc.

Reactions: 4 users
Foaming and ventilation shutdown are both nightmare scenarios. Ugh.
Totally...but tough to stomach the alternatives, too (emotional impact of individual culling on a large scale...vs moving away from factory farms, thereby making meat too expensive for a larger chunk of the population near the poverty line.. not good either)

Reactions: 3 users
"No kill" shelters adopting out aggressive/otherwise unfit animals in order to maintain their "no kill" status.

Antibiotic use in pets (or food animals)
1. Breeding in general tied in with overpopulation vs a maldistribution of dogs and cats. I liked "The Dog Merchants" for that one.
2. Animal use in research is a classic.
3. Vet techs acting more like physician assistants, particularly in undeserved areas. More of something I've noticed in facebook comments rather than a thoroughly explored topic.
4. Distributive model vs teaching hospital model in vet med education and whether or not schools without a VTH should be as expensive.
5. Not enough vets vs maldistribution of vets leading to vet shortages. Ties into "reasons" universities have recently justified opening new colleges/schools of veterinary medicine over the last 5-7 years. Also ties into debt of vet school.
6. Limited licensure vs comprehensive licensure in vet med.
7. The effects on vet med if animals were to no longer be considered property. Out there for sure and probs not a lot of info on it.
8. Some states allowing people to keep wildlife as pets and tying that into the welfare of wildlife
9. Ethics of zoos/aquariums
"Limited" licensure like just SA vs LA? Cause I'm all for that

"No kill" shelters adopting out aggressive/otherwise unfit animals in order to maintain their "no kill" status.

I could get on a soapbox about this for a long time. I'd also include in how even traditional "kill" shelters are drugging aggressive dogs to hide their aggression to improve live release/adoption rates since shelter politics has turned into focusing more on how may animals leave the shelter alive.

Antibiotic use in pets (or food animals)

"Limited" licensure like just SA vs LA? Cause I'm all for that

Yeah but we also have equine, exotic pet, zoo, avian, etc, so limited licensure would have to be way more than SA vs LA. My job would cease to exist if limited licensure were a thing. So would the jobs of vet derm, ophtho, neuro, radiology, pathology, etc... many of the specialties don't focus on just SA or LA.

Yeah but we also have equine, exotic pet, zoo, avian, etc, so limited licensure would have to be way more than SA vs LA. My job would cease to exist if limited licensure were a thing. So would the jobs of vet derm, ophtho, neuro, radiology, pathology, etc... many of the specialties don't focus on just SA or LA.
If the option for limited licensure existed, the option for comprehensive licensure would exist simultaneously. It would have to, cause in rural areas you may need mixed practices.

I just know that it would benefit me most to have a focused study on SA cause I'm never touching a large animal after graduation. Studying cows/horses is not a good use of my time.

Members don't see this ad :)
If the option for limited licensure existed, the option for comprehensive licensure would exist simultaneously. It would have to, cause in rural areas you may need mixed practices.

I just know that it would benefit me most to have a focused study on SA cause I'm never touching a large animal after graduation. Studying cows/horses is not a good use of my time.
In my opinion, it seems fairly straightforward for small animal focused people but for limited licensure to work I think you’d still need to learn everything in school. The issue would be people who 100000% plan to do equine exclusive or food animal exclusive practice during school then a few years later life changes and they need to switch to small animal for the stability/lack of on call/better pay/whatever. If they only took large animal classes and can’t switch what do these people do? Go back to vet school for a couple years? Leave the profession? Feel trapped and become part of the mental health and suicide statistics? Do we force anyone who thinks they want to do only horses to track mixed because so many end up treating dogs and cats? If so how is that any different from making small animal people take the large animal classes? Yeah you could get a mixed licensure and maintain it just on the off chance you switch to small animal in the future but especially if you’re limiting it by solely tracking in one species during school you’re asking someone to choose their entire career projection when they’re 25. What if someone was practicing small animal for a couple years and wants to go do a residency in a “mixed” specialty like pathology or radiology? Are they out of luck because they only did small animal classes during vet school? I think you could argue that derm and ophtho could teach you enough about horse and cow eyes/skin to get by but that wouldn’t work for pathology since we are expected to know about basically every disease for all species. If we were to do limited licensure I think it would need to be a limitation AFTER graduation where you choose the species you’re licensed in and can pay additional fees/show CE to add on others. But overall I’m against it. It’s probably because I’m from a rural area with a relative shortage of vets. If everyone refused to be licensed for exotics or goats or whatever and couldn’t even euthanize one or try to treat, animals could suffer and I’m against that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Concept or compulsory no kill shelters is another good topic. One county in my home state made it so the county shelter had to be no kill. The county had to shut down the shelter due to the plummeting animal welfare conditions since the only parameters for euthanasia were drastic behavior or health concerns.

Reactions: 1 user

Concept or compulsory no kill shelters is another good topic. One county in my home state made it so the county shelter had to be no kill. The county had to shut down the shelter due to the plummeting animal welfare conditions since the only parameters for euthanasia were drastic behavior or health concerns.

On the opposite end, some no-kill shelters essentially end up “warehousing” nonadoptable dogs. It kinda happened at a shelter I worked at in undergrad. They’d had bonded littermates in the shelter for literally years. They were dog selective/aggressive and 80-100 lb pitbull sisters...not an easy placement. After like 6 years of being for adoption they sent them to a sanctuary to free up the kennel space and give them more room to live their lives. The shelter had to take like a dozen smaller dogs from the sanctuary but those got adopted quickly. Now the shelter has totally changed and the longest term dogs are only there a couple months, but that kind of warehousing happens all the time and I don’t always think it’s in the dogs best interest.

Rescuing dogs from foreign countries is also a fairly hot-button rescue-related topic. Like is it good allocation of resources to save dogs from ‘meat markets’ or whatever when we still have such a problem in our own country? Especially with the risk of bringing foreign diseases into our own populations?

What about rescues spending $10,000+ on the horrible neglect cases or intense orthopedic work for congenital limb deformities? Should they spend that much on one dog when that same 10,000 could spay and neuter like literally hundreds of other dogs? But alternative argument is the poor soul in need of donations will bring in way more donations than that one poor soul needs so it makes the rescue money to spend on the other animals.

Last edited:

You never know what will happen or where you will end up after graduation. I also think it is short sighted to go "Well this helps us SA focused people so let's do it." Plus a lot of vet school is taught all at once. Renal physiology encompassed all species not just SA or LA, are you going to completely change the entire vet school curriculum across the board?

You never know what will happen or where you will end up after graduation. I also think it is short sighted to go "Well this helps us SA focused people so let's do it." Plus a lot of vet school is taught all at once. Renal physiology encompassed all species not just SA or LA, are you going to completely change the entire vet school curriculum across the board?

This is so true. I've had so many colleagues plan on focusing on one area that ended up completely changing after graduation and other opportunities opened up, or got injured doing equine/LA and switched to small.

... And also SA people that have likewise gotten injured and ended up switching to something non-clinical!

On the opposite end, some no-kill shelters essentially end up “warehousing” nonadoptable dogs. It kinda happened at a shelter I worked at in undergrad. They’d had bonded littermates in the shelter for literally years. They were dog selective/aggressive and 80-100 lb pitbull sisters...not an easy placement. After like 6 years of being for adoption they sent them to a sanctuary to free up the kennel space and give them more room to live their lives. The shelter had to take like a dozen smaller dogs from the sanctuary but those got adopted quickly. Now the shelter has totally changed and the longest term dogs are only there a couple months, but that kind of warehousing happens all the time and I don’t always think it’s in the dogs best interest.

Rescuing dogs from foreign countries is also a fairly hot-button rescue-related topic. Like is it good allocation of resources to save dogs from ‘meat markets’ or whatever when we still have such a problem in our own country? Especially with the risk of bringing foreign diseases into our own populations?

What about rescues spending $10,000+ on the horrible neglect cases or intense orthopedic work for congenital limb deformities? Should they spend that much on one dog when that same 10,000 could spay and neuter like literally hundreds of other dogs? But alternative argument is the poor soul in need of donations will bring in way more donations than that one poor soul needs so it makes the rescue money to spend on the other animals.

All really good points!

FAD being introduced is a really big concern- if it's a disease we aren't used to looking for, it could easily be overlooked and given time to spread.

And yes rescues can generate a lot of sympathy donations for those heart breaking cases but that may not be the best use of it when we can help so many other animals.

I always wonder if owning a pet is a right or a privilege. Like, when someone has a record of mistreating pets due to cruelty, negligence, or purely financial reasons, should they own pets again.

Totally...but tough to stomach the alternatives, too (emotional impact of individual culling on a large scale...vs moving away from factory farms, thereby making meat too expensive for a larger chunk of the population near the poverty line.. not good either)
Absolutely!

But I have quite literally had a nightmare about being an animal being foamed. It was not a fun nightmare.

This is such a crazy double standard to me. Livestock, the bulk of which are raised for food, don’t get flown in from another continent as rescues or $10k surgeries (yes there are exceptions). And they don’t get retained for breeding specifically because they have some life-altering deformity a la brachycephaly or a skeleton that leads to inevitable c-sections. People (barring PETA) also don’t have incredibly heated arguments about the ethics of selectively breeding beef cattle. And then we’ll warehouse dogs for years. Completely different worlds. The way that a single profession straddles both French bulldogs and feedlots is fascinating.

Reactions: 2 users
This is such a crazy double standard to me. Livestock, the bulk of which are raised for food, don’t get flown in from another continent as rescues or $10k surgeries (yes there are exceptions). And they don’t get retained for breeding specifically because they have some life-altering deformity a la brachycephaly or a skeleton that leads to inevitable c-sections. People (barring PETA) also don’t have incredibly heated arguments about the ethics of selectively breeding beef cattle. And then we’ll warehouse dogs for years. Completely different worlds. The way that a single profession straddles both French bulldogs and feedlots is fascinating.

It actually surprises me how many DVMs *have* brachycephalics... I mean who doesn't think Frenchies or smooshy faced slobbering Pugs aren't adorable? But the farther along in my career I get the more I am against them. It seems very hypocritical.

But I guess to keep going down that road it's probably hypocritical to both save animals (cats, dogs, horses) and eat other animals. For the record, I'm very much a carnivore :) .

I
It actually surprises me how many DVMs *have* brachycephalics... I mean who doesn't think Frenchies or smooshy faced slobbering Pugs aren't adorable? But the farther along in my career I get the more I am against them. It seems very hypocritical.

But I guess to keep going down that road it's probably hypocritical to both save animals (cats, dogs, horses) and eat other animals. For the record, I'm very much a carnivore :) .

I guess I reconciled some of that as seeing it as the role of being a good steward of both the natural world and peoples’ resources. I don’t think “saving” is always the appropriate goal, but a good life always should be.

But I also knew pretty early small animal would be a bad fit for me for many of the same reasons. I never felt comfortable watching people spend money they couldn’t afford on a poor prognosis.

The defense of those brachycephalic breeds I’ve heard is that well bred ones have less extreme, functional conformation, and there are some that can run agility courses etc. But then those don’t make up the majority. It reminds me of halter breeding in horses - you end up with exaggerated traits that negatively impact performance on an animal that only has half a brain because they aren’t produced with a functional goal in mind.

I could get on a soapbox about this for a long time. I'd also include in how even traditional "kill" shelters are drugging aggressive dogs to hide their aggression to improve live release/adoption rates since shelter politics has turned into focusing more on how may animals leave the shelter alive.

Oh man, nobody get me started on controversial shelter topics. I could rail for days about crazy people who think it's acceptable practice to be hoarding behaviorally unhealthy animals for years in a facility that is and always should be considered a temporary housing situation. I have met many animals that I consider absolutely unsafe to release into the general public and who will lead miserable lives full of suffering because of their extensive behavioral problems. It is so challenging to convince people that behavioral health CAN cause suffering and that being physically healthy is not the end-all be-all for animals. Can you imagine spending your entire life being terrified 24/7? Or constantly on edge and actively ready to bite someone 24/7? As someone with multiple anxiety disorders and PTSD I can tell you right now that living with that constant level of physiologic and mental stress as your baseline is truly awful, and I have the benefit of medications and therapy to improve that. We simply don't have as many options and resources available to our animals and I think keeping them drugged enough to just not be able to demonstrate their level of distress is not appropriate.

Lots of animals with behavioral issues can totally be rehomed with thoughtful adoption practices. Including animals that have a bite history! But so many people do not get that this does not apply to ALL of them.

I think some other good controversial topics in the shelter med realm include mass transport of heartworm positive animals. Lots of papers out that show that areas of the country that import a large volume of animals from the south have rapidly increasing heartworm endemicity that is likely related to movement of those animals. Creates a bit of an ethical dilemma concerning how you balance health of the animals in your home community with health of animals from an overwhelmed region which would most likely be euthanized if they cannot be transported.

Other things to consider include ethics of increasing access to care. Lots of shelters are now providing a decent variety of GP services to underserved areas, and there are arguments regarding whether people with limited finances should be supported in maintaining animals and whether this practice is driving business away from standard GP clinics in the area.

Another very argumentative topic are TNR programs for feral cats - balancing cat welfare alongside the heavy impact cats have on the environment and on vulnerable species in the area. Find any person who's even remotely into birds or wildlife and ask them about this topic, it's like opening the gates to hell with how passionate and outraged they are about this topic. Cats are a leading killer of many vulnerable and endangered bird species.
It actually surprises me how many DVMs *have* brachycephalics... I mean who doesn't think Frenchies or smooshy faced slobbering Pugs aren't adorable?
Me! I hate them and think they're fabulously ugly lol. Have no idea why they are so popular. I do get why a lot of vets end up with them though, I think they tend to be expensive little disasters and often end up relinquished to the clinic and then taken in by staff. At least, that's how most of the veterinarians I know ended up with one.

• Love
This drives me nuts too, but done right there are ways to balance it with paying for care of other less expensive animals. The problem is many rescues don't do this and simply rake in donations to dump money into an animal that ends up euthanized because anyone with eyes could tell the prognosis was grave at best from the outset. (I still maintain that if you want to get into embezzling money you should open a rescue, some of these people will fundraise $10,000 and then euthanize the animal with like an $800 vet bill - it's never clear where the rest of the money goes)

Anyway, there is a concept called fast tracking and slow tracking in shelter med, basic idea is you identify your animals that are highly adoptable, need minimal care to get out to a home, and are very desirable (think puppies, young small dogs, apparent pure breeds that wouldn't run into breed or weight restrictions in apartments, that sort of thing). You make these animals your fast tracks: adoption fees more expensive for them, and you make them available fast so they move out the door as soon as possible. You take that overhead from the adoption fees for those animals and use it to bankroll the increased cost of your slow track animals, which are generally less desirable animals that take longer to get adopted and usually have cheaper or no adoption fees (think old, sick, larger breeds, most cats except for fancy coat colors and kittens). The main exception to your slow tracks needing to be bankrolled is the scenario above, where you have an animal that is definitely going to take forever to be ready to be placed in a home but that has an extremely publicly compelling story that drives a LOT of donations to your shelter. Those animals can be moneymakers in and of themselves despite how $$$ their care is - I have actually even run into shelters that used excess donations from one of these animal's care to fund a cross-country transport of like 30 dogs using this idea.

However... like I said before, MOST rescues don't do this for various reasons. And so they sink money into one dog and then complain about all of the healthy dogs getting killed in shelters that nobody will do anything about, lol

• Love
I would just love to talk dog welfare in shelters with @vetmedhead and purebred dog welfare with @finnickthedog at some point in my life. So fascinating to me and basically what I want to do when I grow up.

I would just love to talk dog welfare in shelters with @vetmedhead and purebred dog welfare with @finnickthedog at some point in my life. So fascinating to me and basically what I want to do when I grow up.

I caution anyone about getting me started, but feel free to ignore the warning and hit me up for my opinions. :laugh:

I caution anyone about getting me started, but feel free to ignore the warning and hit me up for my opinions. :laugh:
I would just like to be involved in the welfare world for *all* dogs. When I was vaguely looking for jobs in the welfare-ish industries, I could not find a dog centric animal welfare position that wasn't solely shelter related. Tried a few emails from when I did the animal welfare competition through AWJAC and it didn't really pan out to anything. And I'm geographically restricted.

But I'm sure you've got some great opinions on the dog world lol

I'm always down lol, my primary interest is animal cruelty investigation and prevention so it's something I very much care about. Also as a bit of an aside, when I was doing my interviews for shelter med internships this year several asked me about behavior cases similar to what was discussed above and were very relieved when I discussed criteria that would personally lead me to recommend euthanizing lol
I would just like to be involved in the welfare world for *all* dogs. When I was vaguely looking for jobs in the welfare-ish industries, I could not find a dog centric animal welfare position that wasn't solely shelter related. Tried a few emails from when I did the animal welfare competition through AWJAC and it didn't really pan out to anything. And I'm geographically restricted.

But I'm sure you've got some great opinions on the dog world lol
Yeah, those positions get tricky as the primary place I see people solely work on animal welfare is in food animal

Yeah, those positions get tricky as the primary place I see people solely work on animal welfare is in food animal
Basically just have to make my own career lol

Food animal brings up other controversial topics- gestation crates, caged vs cage free layers...

Ooh also -- the opioid crisis or antimicrobial resistance. Responsibilities for veterinary prescribers, impacts on human health, pet well-being, etc.
I feel like a lot of people mean well, but do not consider the other side. A 20,000 ft view would lend one to the big pharma conspiracy, etc. Sure, there was some wrongdoing, and opioids can cause harm, but they're also unbelievably useful, and for me, the only way I can live my life. I have an implanted pain pump that delivers morphine directly to the lesion of my spinal cord via CRI. I also rely on oral opioids to allow me to function alongside anti-epileptics and other medications to manage my nerve pain. I understand the danger, and utilize them cautiously. I know my body is dependent to some degree, but there's a massive difference between dependence and addiction. The current state of opioid demonization has made it increasingly harder for those that need them to get them. I am an advocate for my health, but there are those that aren't adept at navigating the healthcare maze and are legitimately crippled because their pain doctor has no choice but to cut their dosage in half or potentially lose their medical license.

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
I feel like a lot of people mean well, but do not consider the other side. A 20,000 ft view would lend one to the big pharma conspiracy, etc. Sure, there was some wrongdoing, and opioids can cause harm, but they're also unbelievably useful, and for me, the only way I can live my life. I have an implanted pain pump that delivers morphine directly to the lesion of my spinal cord via CRI. I also rely on oral opioids to allow me to function alongside anti-epileptics and other medications to manage my nerve pain. I understand the danger, and utilize them cautiously. I know my body is dependent, but there's a huge difference between dependence and addiction. The current state of opioid demonization has made it increasingly harder for those that need them to get them. I am an advocate for my health, but there are those that aren't adept at navigating the healthcare maze and are legitimately crippled because their pain doctor has no choice but to cut their dosage in half or potentially lose their medical license.

I have in my family a family member that has used and medically needed them for decades. I also have drug addicts in the family. The only person who had issues getting opioids... the person who needs and uses them medically. This isn't preventing drug addicts from getting anything. My argument is that it'll make the opioid/drug crisis worse as now there will be some people that use them medically and legally that get frustrated and start seeking them elsewhere. I strongly believe this bull**** they're doing won't help and may make things worse.

I feel like a lot of people mean well, but do not consider the other side. A 20,000 ft view would lend one to the big pharma conspiracy, etc. Sure, there was some wrongdoing, and opioids can cause harm, but they're also unbelievably useful, and for me, the only way I can live my life. I have an implanted pain pump that delivers morphine directly to the lesion of my spinal cord via CRI. I also rely on oral opioids to allow me to function alongside anti-epileptics and other medications to manage my nerve pain. I understand the danger, and utilize them cautiously. I know my body is dependent to some degree, but there's a massive difference between dependence and addiction. The current state of opioid demonization has made it increasingly harder for those that need them to get them. I am an advocate for my health, but there are those that aren't adept at navigating the healthcare maze and are legitimately crippled because their pain doctor has no choice but to cut their dosage in half or potentially lose their medical license.

I have in my family a family member that has used and medically needed them for decades. I also have drug addicts in the family. The only person who had issues getting opioids... the person who needs and uses them medically. This isn't preventing drug addicts from getting anything. My argument is that it'll make the opioid/drug crisis worse as now there will be some people that use them medically and legally that get frustrated and start seeking them elsewhere. I strongly believe this bull**** they're doing won't help and may make things worse.
My understanding is that the overwhelming majority of opioid addictions resulting from a prescription are from over-prescribing for acute injuries/surgery recovery. People who are on them for chronic pain are probably often chemically dependent, but when you’re in bad pain and using an appropriate amount to treat that pain, my understanding is that you don’t really feel the psychoactive effects, so people don’t really go chasing any dragons. Meanwhile, there’s sich a bias towards taking pain from acute and visible conditions way more seriously than chronic pain that people are often given way more than they need, leaving them with a bunch of opioids to either “waste” or use once their pain has healed (or at least used to be, I’m not sure how much cracking down on opioid prescriptions has been directed towards these short-term prescriptions vs just making it harder for people who need long-term opioid treatment to get it).

My understanding is that the overwhelming majority of opioid addictions resulting from a prescription are from over-prescribing for acute injuries/surgery recovery. People who are on them for chronic pain are probably often chemically dependent, but when you’re in bad pain and using an appropriate amount to treat that pain, my understanding is that you don’t really feel the psychoactive effects, so people don’t really go chasing any dragons. Meanwhile, there’s sich a bias towards taking pain from acute and visible conditions way more seriously than chronic pain that people are often given way more than they need, leaving them with a bunch of opioids to either “waste” or use once their pain has healed (or at least used to be, I’m not sure how much cracking down on opioid prescriptions has been directed towards these short-term prescriptions vs just making it harder for people who need long-term opioid treatment to get it).

Yeah, I know some people get addicted from short use, but they aren't getting constant refills of opioids for an acute issue and they weren't before the opioid crackdown either. They started searching for the meds after that short use. I can also say none of the members of my family that have drug problems started with a rx... it was all obtained illegally via them being with the wrong people or seeking out the drugs themselves.

Instead now I've heard numerous stories is people with acute pain due to serious injuries (think broken limbs, car accidents) that even the ER won't provide opioids for hours. When pain winds up like that, you need more drug to take it down which contributes to the chance an addiction might develop. Withholding pain control which most doctors do now because of all the opioid rules is worse than addressing pain immediately and implementing a proper course of tapering pain control with multimodal pain therapy.

Instead my family member with chronic pain was treated like a drug addict. Forced to add in a pain Dr among all the other Dr's she already had to see. That cost extra $$$$... regular urine drug tests. Abrupt changes to medications she had been on for 20 years. When she lost her insurance and couldn't afford to see the pain Dr, she begged her regular Dr who was the last one that rxd her the meds to come up with a taper and stop the opioids entirely. He refused. So she got stuck tapering herself off of opioids she had been in for 20 years.

The opioid rules are not affecting those that want to use illegally or feed an addiction. Not at all. They're hurting the people that need the meds for medical purposes.

• Sad
  • Care
When I broke my arm my doctor prescribed me a crazy amount of percocet, so much so that my insurance wouldn't even fill the full amount by like 30 pills. Even with that reduced amount I still have a lot left over (haven't gotten around to dropping it off at a drug disposal thing) and I can completely see how people can get onto them easily and quickly with those amounts. I tried my best to get off them and onto typical OTC pain relievers since I really only used them for postsurgical pain.

Meanwhile my mom has chronic pain and working with the pain clinics was wild. She would try her best to take opioids only as needed and tried to rely mainly on anti-inflammatories with opioids as more rescue meds on very bad days. Her pain doctors would get mad if she came in and didn't test positive for opioids on their screens and would accuse her of selling her meds on the street. She ended up quitting going entirely and just living with poorly controlled pain because they were so consistently nasty to her.

• Wow
  • Sad
@wheelin2vetmed I was only suggesting it as a controversial topic, not trying to imply opioids themselves are bad. My primary area of interest is anesthesia, so providing adequate analgesia to our patients is something I think about quite a bit.

And I am also a cat person -- not a lot of options out there besides opioids (and then basically just buprenorphine) for cats with severe chronic pain. Trying to crack down on addiction by restricting vet access etc. would actively harm so many feline patients.

Last edited:
Cats are really challenging! I really worry about gabapentin becoming a controlled drug in my state.

@wheelin2vetmed I was only suggesting it as a controversial topic, not trying to imply opioids themselves are bad. My primary area of interest is anesthesia, so providing adequate analgesia to our patients is something I think about quite a bit.
Of course, I just decided to step in and offer a viewpoint since this is a thread about controversial topics...pun intended.

Food animal brings up other controversial topics- gestation crates, caged vs cage free layers...
As a poultry person I could argue about that stuff for hours and hours 😂 I do feel like a lot of the blame for misinformation about poultry welfare does lie with the poultry industry tho- we need to do a much better job with communicating with the public about how our birds are treated. Cage-free housing leads to huge spikes in chicken cannibalism and don’t even get me started on free range haha. Fun fact: if we wanted to switch over all our poultry houses the u.s. to free-range but keep producing the same amount of birds, we would need an amount of land equivalent to the size of Texas just dedicated to chicken housing in order to accomplish that!

Fun fact: if we wanted to switch over all our poultry houses the u.s. to free-range but keep producing the same amount of birds, we would need an amount of land equivalent to the size of Texas just dedicated to chicken housing in order to accomplish that!
Cynics (including myself) think that's the point of animal rights groups supporting these proposals. It's a long game. They know from a logistics perspective that our current production numbers would be impossible with these "cage free" set ups. It's a step towards reducing the number of production animals in total, with the ultimate goal being the elimination of the animal agriculture industries as a whole in the long term.

While the cynic in me thinks this is the ultimate goal, the realist in me also acknowledges that this won't be a serious accomplishment for a long time. Ag is just simply too big in too many states with friends in tangential industries. A good example is a bill currently in committee in Colorado that would require production species be allowed to live 25% of an arbitrary lifespan (20 years in cows) and no sexually invasive procedures. This includes AI, implants, vaginal/rectal palpation. So while all the ag organizations in Colorado are against it, so is the Colorado VMA.

Cynics (including myself) think that's the point of animal rights groups supporting these proposals. It's a long game. They know from a logistics perspective that our current production numbers would be impossible with these "cage free" set ups. It's a step towards reducing the number of production animals in total, with the ultimate goal being the elimination of the animal agriculture industries as a whole in the long term.

While the cynic in me thinks this is the ultimate goal, the realist in me also acknowledges that this won't be a serious accomplishment for a long time. Ag is just simply too big in too many states with friends in tangential industries. A good example is a bill currently in committee in Colorado that would require production species be allowed to live 25% of an arbitrary lifespan (20 years in cows) and no sexually invasive procedures. This includes AI, implants, vaginal/rectal palpation. So while all the ag organizations in Colorado are against it, so is the Colorado VMA.
The lady who proposed this bill is totally insane, it's farcical that Polis appointed her to the State Board of Veterinary Oversight

The lady who proposed this bill is totally insane, it's farcical that Polis appointed her to the State Board of Veterinary Oversight
I now know what internet hole I'm going down tomorrow!! Lol.

Low key saw someone from Boulder was involved and said, "There it is."

I now know what internet hole I'm going down tomorrow!! Lol.

Low key saw someone from Boulder was involved and said, "There it is."
God speed. Multiple pictures of her "protesting" meat sections of supermarkets while holding up those horrible PETA type signs

God speed. Multiple pictures of her "protesting" meat sections of supermarkets while holding up those horrible PETA type signs
Oh my dog.

Honestly I feel like people like her and PETA put food animal welfare progress 10 steps backwards. Because now the ag people can just point to crazies like her and say "look! the animal welfare people want to take away all your meat!" and then the conversations about feasible improvements to food animal conditions are lost. Like when PETA protests the use of our live bulldog mascot in his *air-conditioned* dog house during college football games. Just makes it easy to ignore any semi-rational argument they have.