Controversial Essay Topics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bachboy123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm unaware of another thread that deals with this topic specifically so here goes:

We're all filling out/filled out a buttload of secondary applications and we're all trying to distinguish ourselves from 'the pack' (i.e. each other).
I've found myself writing secondary essays and thinking: "should i play it safe or try and get the adcom's attention?"
If you've got controversial approaches to essays and you want a second opinion as to whether you should use them post them here.

I'm starting with this one:
In answer to the question: "describe a difficult life experience and how you dealt with it?" I've drafted out an essay about reapplying to medical school. I got rejected the first time a couple years ago and have done a decent amount to improve my application. However, I think it's pretty risky to essentially lead with the fact that I was rejected. I'm not commenting on why i got rejected, just how i improved myself and how difficult that was.
I'm still really up in the air about this topic as I feel that it could be great or it could totally backfire on me.
what do YOU think!?

Members don't see this ad.

awesome! it could totally work out for the best or backfire based on the adcom!

Since they will know that you're a reapplicant anyway, I think it could be a very convenient way of highlighting how you've worked to strengthen yourself and your application. Then again, I'm not an adcom...

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above post. They already know and it would be niceto let them know that you actually did something about it and improved. stress the positives and don't mention the negatives.

For overcoming adversity or not in the majority essays, I discussed my conflicts with my parents/friends over a very personal issue and how it made me a stronger person.

I made it not risky but discussing how mentally strong I was, stuck with what I believed in, never gave up, kept trying, etc...

They already know you're a reapplicant, so I think it's fine to address it.

I disagree. Using your re-application as a talking point about a challenging situation could be interpreted as applying/school/medicine is your life. I would almost say that it would be hard to make that essay have the raw emotional/personal feel that I would guess they are looking for.

Well if he's spent the past few years of his life getting his application ready/stronger, then it has been the main overarching goal for him at this point in time. ;)

But I agree that you want the writing to be poignant and interesting. OP, the only way to know if it's any good is to write a draft of what you want to say and see how it reads. If it just doesn't work, change topics.

Here's the thing... it is probably best to play it safe, as pretty much anything you can conceive has already been thought of by another pre-med at another time. I kind of agree with vishadas on this one...

I agree with the above Vihsadas and bcat85. Actually, if someone were to ask me what's one of the most difficult things you've gone through, I'd probably answer with something similar. I.e. the whole process of preparing to apply to medical school, which includes going back to school to take classes on top of working, then studying for the MCAT, and now applying, etc.

There's a lot of uncertainty there which was what made it/makes it so hard. BUT, I don't think talking about it paints me in a positive light. First of all, highlighting my doubts about becoming a doctor or getting into medical school seems counterproductive. Second, just in terms of narrative, my narrative of that just now probably sounds like everyone else's narrative. It's all angsty without much pathos.

In your case with the reapplication, I would think that seems even worse to highlight the fact that you're a reapplicant. If there's something that you did to strengthen your app this time around, say, a job experience, or some extra volunteering that you did, I'd pick something from that to talk about in the essay. It serves both the purpose of drawing attention to these new exps you've had to improve your app, and being interesting from a narrative perspective as well as having that "emotional impact" they're looking for.

Exactly.

Pick a specific example of a situation you've encountered along the way, and focus on it. Talk about how you overcame that specific example and how it changed your perspective.

I guess I'm "lucky" enough to have my sister die of cancer, and so I write about that as my problem. Would trade any med school acceptance for her back though.

what about religion?? if my parents are against me being christian, but i stuck with what i believed in.. do you think it's a risky topic? =/

what about religion?? if my parents are against me being christian, but i stuck with what i believed in.. do you think it's a risky topic? =/

Not at all I think, depending on how much of a challenge it was for you. You could probably pull a lot of good qualities out of it.