Controversial Advocacy Essay?

Started by deleted1193118
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted1193118

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am putting together my advocacy essay and I just wanted to sanity check that I have not picked too controversial a topic:

My essay here revolves around the rights of the incarcerated, depending on the prompt I talk either about working with "ban the box" advocacy (a legislative effort to strengthen protections for the formerly incarcerated against employment discrimination) or visiting with a person who was on death row who shares some facets of my own identity as part of working with anti-death-penalty activism.

I think this should be ok, but I realized that advocating for the incarcerated sometimes makes more "uptight" (for lack of a better word) people uncomfortable. I'm largely applying to universities in cities in blue states but I just wanted a sanity check on this. Thoughts?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am putting together my advocacy essay and I just wanted to sanity check that I have not picked too controversial a topic:

My essay here revolves around the rights of the incarcerated, depending on the prompt I talk either about working with "ban the box" advocacy (a legislative effort to strengthen protections for the formerly incarcerated against employment discrimination) or visiting with a person who was on death row who shares some facets of my own identity as part of working with anti-death-penalty activism.

I think this should be ok, but I realized that advocating for the incarcerated sometimes makes more "uptight" (for lack of a better word) people uncomfortable. I'm largely applying to universities in cities in blue states but I just wanted a sanity check on this. Thoughts?
This is a fune topic