Conventional class 2 or proximal box (slot) prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentL

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that nerb is allowing composite what would you do ? Taking my boards next week !

Members don't see this ad.

When I gave CRDTS, I did composite for Class II on a max molar because my patient wanted composite. She didn't want amalgam. I did it for her but if I had a choice I would do amalgam if its a huge lesion b/c you can condense better with amalgam then composite. I mean you can contour better with it too. I hope this helps.
P.S. If you have a choice do Class II first then Class III

When I did my NERB last year I did amalgam because it was the only option. If I had to do it again I would choose amalgam every time. I think that you can get much better contours and you can be assured of adequate condensation. Hope that helps and good luck!

Did a conventional composite on my NERB (passed 100% yay). There was shadowing on the occlusal, so I had to prep the occlusal. If you have a pristine occlusal, do just a slot. This is outlined in the manual and also is the real-life indication for either. You can request to switch to amalgam if you think it's too big or you can't get good isolation, etc. Just get good contact with your matrix (use bi-tine ring and sectional matrix if you can) and leave no flash and I think you'll be fine. Practice on your typodont if you need to. READ THE MANUAL. You don't have to break B-L contact for composites as long as you can put your matrix in.. so if you didn't open the contacts, you will end up having contact on your restoration......... :idea:
My patient requested composite (super adamant about it too) but I made her aware of the situations I would have to jump to amalgam. If I had my choice, I would have done an amalgam, but since composite was allowed I had to at least shoot for composite first. See if your patient would go for an amalgam and talk to issues regarding contact/compressive strength/etc when using composite. At the end of the day: their tooth, their choice. If you had more time, I would say try to find a different patient, but just get it done!! Good luck!