Converting MBBS/MBChB to an M.D.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

commonwealthMD

Reaction score
I've read on these forums that it is common practice for MBBS doctors to use the MD postnominal as it is much more recognized by US patients and physicians alike. And I've also seen that MBBS/MBChB holders can be conffered an MD by the NYSED

Which brings me to my question:

When someone is conferred this degree are they officially a Doctor of Medicine just like their US counterparts? And who on earth actually awards the degree? Is it a US Med school or does the NYSED personally award a diploma? Or is it just a legal technicallity? Is this comporable to the MD DO cali merger in the 60s? If someone could elucidate I would be grateful..:)

This is something I am quite interested in as a FMG. It's quite apparent that patients have no idea what an MBBS is, so having MD on my whitecoat and documents would make much more sense.

Cheers

Members don't see this ad.

I've read on these forums that it is common practice for MBBS doctors to use the MD postnominal as it is much more recognized by US patients and physicians alike. And I've also seen that MBBS/MBChB holders can be conffered an MD by the NYSED

Which brings me to my question:

When someone is conferred this degree are they officially a Doctor of Medicine just like their US counterparts? And who on earth actually awards the degree? Is it a US Med school or does the NYSED personally award a diploma? Or is it just a legal technicallity? Is this comporable to the MD DO cali merger in the 60s? If someone could elucidate I would be grateful..:)

This is something I am quite interested in as a FMG. It's quite apparent that patients have no idea what an MBBS is, so having MD on my whitecoat and documents would make much more sense.

Cheers

In the US, the "MD" degree is awarded by a medical school, just as your MBBS will be awared by your school. New York has given the state the power to award the "MD", most likely as a legal technicality, so that you can use the MD title.

That being said, I've seen plenty of doctors with MBBS on their white coats and patients are well familiar with it. Most likely you will need to conform to the rules of whatever state and hospital you are at. In most states you will be using MBBS as that is the degree you have been awarded.

Reactions: 1 user