Convincing an MD of what DO is all about

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Many of the physicians I have shadowed and worked with are DOs, and I think they make just as good of doctors. HOWEVER, the one thing that irks me is those among you who ride the DO bandwagon so hard, yet you are hypocrites that are just self justifying yourselves. I'm talking about those who on their MD apps applied to a butt load of MD schools, but only got into DO. I have seen very few among you who have turned down MD schools on your apps when you applied to a mixture and got at least one of each. For those of you chose DO over MD schools, or those who only applied to DO schools, I respect your beliefs and your arguments. For those who are what I mentioned above, you embarrass yourselves by fighting so viscously against those who say DO schools are easier to get into, etc, etc, when you only switched camp after you failed to get into MD school. Like I said, I respect DO's, I think that they do just a good of job, but I think self justification by those who are DO converts is a tad pathetic.

I'll brace myself now. :boom:

Members don't see this ad.

Many of the physicians I have shadowed and worked with are DOs, and I think they make just as good of doctors. HOWEVER, the one thing that irks me is those among you who ride the DO bandwagon so hard, yet you are hypocrites that are just self justifying yourselves. I'm talking about those who on their MD apps applied to a butt load of MD schools, but only got into DO. I have seen very few among you who have turned down MD schools on your apps when you applied to a mixture and got at least one of each. For those of you chose DO over MD schools, or those who only applied to DO schools, I respect your beliefs and your arguments. For those who are what I mentioned above, you embarrass yourselves by fighting so viscously against those who say DO schools are easier to get into, etc, etc, when you only switched camp after you failed to get into MD school. Like I said, I respect DO's, I think that they do just a good of job, but I think self justification by those who are DO converts is a tad pathetic.

I'll brace myself now.

It's called human nature. Deal with it.

I applied to both, but I agree with you. I was put on hold at two schools. That hold is enough for me to withdraw, but I don't know if I will. For me, its about seeing and experiencing the school. I'm extremely content with my decision that I have made, but decisions are fluid. It would take a lot to convert me, but it could happen but more than likely won't.

Members don't see this ad :)
:laugh:

LOL! Well, I agree that it could be some psychological twist of fate for some who've had their heart set on "MD" for years and have had to "settle" for a DO program. I humbly mention that I'm someone who's in the latter camp who chose DO under no duress, quite the opposite, and hadn't applied to any MD schools, though I'm unabashed about my support for Temple University and their programs.

It's really possible, in my view, that myopic pre-meds could "have an awakening" in DO school their first and second year, and become the biggest cheerleaders. We'll never know for sure if they are kidding themselves or not if you want to be cynical about it, but if they were so gung-ho about MD and then committed to DO, they're going to favor the positives of any program they now belong to and push them hard, cause that's what they've always done.
So I don't see anything particularly wrong with that, per se. Old habits die hard, right?

The other thing is, they get to kind of put their money where their mouth is and demonstrate a tool MD's don't typically have on the clinical rotations: OMM. I know in Philly it's been rumoured to be a big hit with the other schools in the area, once they are exposed to it.

So I hope I've remained uncontroversial in my response, that's what I was aiming for.
In the end, you'll look back and wonder why you and your peers had so much confidence in understanding the politics of medicine before you were even old enough to drink.

you embarrass yourselves by fighting so viscously against those who say DO schools are easier to get into, etc, etc, when you only switched camp after you failed to get into MD school.

Wow, you're a nice person. I graduated undergrad with 2 B.S. degrees, summa cum laude, and got a 27T on my mcats. I was an emt also for a couple of years...

DO schools are easier to get into, you cannot deny that.

On that note though, I only applied to schools within 2 hours or so from my house. I didn't want to go far away, and I didn't want to take a year off to study for the MCAT again post-undergrad. I'm not in an MD school because of my MCAT score, simple as that. Do I care about the DO-MD difference? no. Do some other people? sure.

But really, why get so heated. People will be people.

:laugh:

LOL! Well, I agree that it could be some psychological twist of fate for some who've had their heart set on "MD" for years and have had to "settle" for a DO program. I humbly mention that I'm someone who's in the latter camp who chose DO under no duress, quite the opposite, and hadn't applied to any MD schools, though I'm unabashed about my support for Temple University and their programs.

It's really possible, in my view, that myopic pre-meds could "have an awakening" in DO school their first and second year, and become the biggest cheerleaders. We'll never know for sure if they are kidding themselves or not if you want to be cynical about it, but if they were so gung-ho about MD and then committed to DO, they're going to favor the positives of any program they now belong to and push them hard, cause that's what they've always done.
So I don't see anything particularly wrong with that, per se. Old habits die hard, right?

The other thing is, they get to kind of put their money where their mouth is and demonstrate a tool MD's don't typically have on the clinical rotations: OMM. I know in Philly it's been rumoured to be a big hit with the other schools in the area, once they are exposed to it.

So I hope I've remained uncontroversial in my response, that's what I was aiming for.
In the end, you'll look back and wonder why you and your peers had so much confidence in understanding the politics of medicine before you were even old enough to drink.

A very good point. And you're right, it really is impossible to tell the difference.