Cook County no pre-interview dinner?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caprisun

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't see anything about this... is it true they don't have a pre-interview dinner the night before?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't see anything about this... is it true they don't have a pre-interview dinner the night before?

The residents don't even get paid on time ( heard this from two residents that I know personally but it may not be across the board) so not surprised but nothing to fret over.

This is what you care about when evaluating a residency?

This is really important, literally every interview I went on had a dinner. The place is either broke or doesn't trust it's residents to not bash the program around you

I agree, the pre-interview dinners were key to evaluating programs. It's tough to get a good feel for the program in the formal interview setting.

This is really important, literally every interview I went on had a dinner. The place is either broke or doesn't trust it's residents to not bash the program around you

During one of the dinners I attended last year the PD sent the chief to babysit. He kept a tight leash on the other two residents and it seemed like they weren't allowed to speak freely. A buddy of mine interviewed at the same program a few weeks prior and apparently one resident showed up already wasted and disheveled. :laugh: Needless to say, I ranked that program pretty low on my ROL.

Interviewed there many moons ago and the program was a complete shambles. Lady that met us (PD?) was 30 minutes late as she had forgotten they had interviews scheduled. Didn't see a single resident and spoke to one other attending. They offered a prematch spot which I didn't even consider. Mind you this was the first year they had moved into the new hospital so things might have improved. Wonder if they sill wear the pink scrubs?

well, being from chicago and having rotated here for a month I can give a great lowdown of this program.

Hours : Probably the best in chicago. If not on call, hours are 6-330, 4pm tops. attendings are awesome about letting residents out early. they have a huge crna / attending support staff so the residents pick and choose what cases they want. the trauma/ortho/neuro/uro cases are awesome, you see crazy stuff. Peds is decent, but your pads rotation is at christ and is awesome. Hearts are weak ( but hearts are weak at a lot of places nowadays ). Transplant is weak. Regional is awesome.

Residents: a few american grads mixed in with carrib/eastern european grads. the older classes have a few 'old' anesthesiologists from europe and asia, but all the newer classes are carrib with a few american grads.

Organization: cook is not a organized hospital. They are incredibly busy, there isn't a ton of 'camaraderie' between the residents, hence i think no dinner. The teaching is still good, the didactics are decent and improving, but they give u a decent amount of time to study on your own so no big deal.

they used to primarily prematch, but have moved away from that this year. They have enough applicants where i think they are probably going to do 1/2 prematch and 1/2 match. The pre matches are usually for their advanced spots and offered to prelim-surg or IM candidates, but are occasionally offered as categorical spots too.

Not the place to go for glitz and glam. If you want to stay in chicago , want decent hours, and to be a competent anesthesiologist, it's a decent option. I have interviews at a lot of 'bigger' names but i would consider it for location, hours, and the decent fellowship matches. if you don't mind IMGs and some attendings with heavy accents, u can get a lot out of county; it gets a much worse rep than it should.

SO.....
No dinner.
There is a reason that they have so many foreigners.
COMMUNITY HOSPITAL.
I will strongly erase them from my matching list.
Unparalleled training at a very high cost.
Good attendings - brainwashed by the system.
Out of the PP reality. The hospital is a HUB for socialized medicine.
Hope that helps.
2win

I wanted to update this thread to add that this year they do have a pre-interview gathering. I interviewed there and in fact the pre-interview was one of the high points, because many residents showed up, and you could really get the feeling that people got along.