Cookie cutter answers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acromonkey

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've wondered this ever since beginning the research on the application process and I have yet to figure it out. So maybe someone can shed some light. Everywhere you read about Med school interviews, when asked the question, why medicine, you are told not to say you want to help people and not to say that you like science. Well, excuse me if I'm wrong, but maybe this is my opinion, I would not want a doctor who doesn't want to help people or a doctor who doesn't like science!! Ok, ok, I know, it has to be more than that, but with the thousands and thousands of people who apply, how is there possibly going to be a reason that could possibly be "different"? Even the people with near death experiences have similar stories...when I was young I was really sick with such and such, almost died, and my doctor was great and since then I've always wanted to be a doctor. I've actually heard that story from two different people when talking to two different Deans of Admissions, where both the Deans said that would be a great reason to want to be a doctor. But to me, even though they may have different hardships, still a similar theme. So my question is how can you give an answer that isn't a "cookie cutter" answer???

Members don't see this ad.

I've wondered this ever since beginning the research on the application process and I have yet to figure it out. So maybe someone can shed some light. Everywhere you read about Med school interviews, when asked the question, why medicine, you are told not to say you want to help people and not to say that you like science. Well, excuse me if I'm wrong, but maybe this is my opinion, I would not want a doctor who doesn't want to help people or a doctor who doesn't like science!! Ok, ok, I know, it has to be more than that, but with the thousands and thousands of people who apply, how is there possibly going to be a reason that could possibly be "different"? Even the people with near death experiences have similar stories...when I was young I was really sick with such and such, almost died, and my doctor was great and since then I've always wanted to be a doctor. I've actually heard that story from two different people when talking to two different Deans of Admissions, where both the Deans said that would be a great reason to want to be a doctor. But to me, even though they may have different hardships, still a similar theme. So my question is how can you give an answer that isn't a "cookie cutter" answer???

ZzZzZZZZzZZ

alright then you go with that simpleton answer at your interview and let us know how it works out for ya johnson

You have to think deeper. Why do you want to help people? In what ways? What is it that drives you towards medicine? (Not just what you like about it) You need to ask yourself some tough questions: Do I want to be a doctor because of the prestige or the job security? Do I like to help people because subconsciously I like the feeling of being needed or being superior?

I know these may be cynical questions...but you need to get past them by thinking about where your motivations lie. The reasons are going to be different because your past is different. I guess my point is..don't worry about being different..just tell the truth about why you want to pursue medicine, but make sure you've really taken the time to figure that out.

Members don't see this ad :)
ZzZzZZZZzZZ

alright then you go with that simpleton answer at your interview and let us know how it works out for ya johnson
That's the entire point of this thread...obviously that was a very general answer and don't plan to go to an interview with that answer. Just trying to get some insight into the situation.

Idk what the point of even saying that was...to insult me? Thanks for the advice...johnson

There is absolutely nothing wrong with saying you like science or that you want to help people. Just make sure that isn't all you say. You want to convey that you are going into medicine based on a mature decision to pursue your interests.

When asked why medicine, I first discussed why a career in medicine was appealing to me (which includes the satisfaction of working with patients and my interest in science!), then I went on to discuss the many positive experiences I had while working in a hospital and shadowing physicians.

I didn't simply say "I like science, it's cool. Also, patients, those guys are cool too." Instead, I said "I decided to major in human biology, because I have a lot of interest in courses such as anatomy, immunology, physiology, and human disease. I see entering medicine as an opportunity to continue to learn more, and eventually apply what I have learned to helping others. I have worked both as an EMT and a tech in a hospital for five years. I genuinely enjoy my interactions with patients and my co-workers. I love my job, I find my work rewarding, but obviously I would like more patient care responsibility and a broader scope of practice."

I remember a girl from harvard asking how I would respond to "Why medicine vs. phd?" I told her I would say that I am looking forwad to patient interaction, which obviously a phd can't provide. She condecendingly told me "yeah, but that is so cliche." IMO, if you don't want to work with patients, then you don't belong in medicine. So I think it is perfectly fine to say. BTW, I was accepted at that school, not sure about Harvard girl though.

Edit: Just to add a couple more reasons, I also included the opportunities to teach (both classroom and residents) in the future, and opportunities for research.

Last edited:
That's the entire point of this thread...obviously that was a very general answer and don't plan to go to an interview with that answer. Just trying to get some insight into the situation.

Idk what the point of even saying that was...to insult me? Thanks for the advice...johnson

What made you SURE of the fact that you want to go into medicine? What experiences confirmed that belief for you? How did your undergraduate experience help you decide to become a physician?

Those are the kinds of questions you should be examining.

Yeah dude, everyone is trying to sell med schools the same crap. Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves. You just have to dress it up a little, be articulate and passionate and excited about it.

Admissions is a big joke that's neither funny or original. You need to be laughing right along with everyone else like it's the funniest thing you've ever heard. Otherwise, the joke's on you. Good luck.

Honestly, I think all adcoms know that this is the case. They're probably more interested in seeing if you are adequate at expressing yourself and advocating for yourself rather than what's actually coming out of your mouth in relation to others.

It's not a cookie cutter answer they are looking for, premed is a process. Start with what sparked your interest in med school. For me it was when I took my girlfriend to the ER after something stabbed through her hand. But that is only a starting point. I can't say "I want to go to medical school because my girlfriend got a foreign object through her hand." But it is okay if I make that a starting point. Show that your development from your starting point.

Yeah dude, everyone is trying to sell med schools the same crap. Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves. You just have to dress it up a little, be articulate and passionate and excited about it.

Admissions is a big joke that's neither funny nor original. You need to be laughing right along with everyone else like it's the funniest thing you've ever heard. Otherwise, the joke's on you. Good luck.

I like. :thumbup:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with saying you like science or that you want to help people. Just make sure that isn't all you say. You want to convey that you are going into medicine based on a mature decision to pursue your interests.

When asked why medicine, I first discussed why a career in medicine was appealing to me (which includes the satisfaction of working with patients and my interest in science!), then I went on to discuss the many positive experiences I had while working in a hospital and shadowing physicians.

I didn't simply say "I like science, it's cool. Also, patients, those guys are cool too." Instead, I said "I decided to major in human biology, because I have a lot of interest in courses such as anatomy, immunology, physiology, and human disease. I see entering medicine as an opportunity to continue to learn more, and eventually apply what I have learned to helping others. I have worked both as an EMT and a tech in a hospital for five years. I genuinely enjoy my interactions with patients and my co-workers. I love my job, I find my work rewarding, but obviously I would like more patient care responsibility and a broader scope of practice."

I remember a girl from harvard asking how I would respond to "Why medicine vs. phd?" I told her I would say that I am looking forwad to patient interaction, which obviously a phd can't provide. She condecendingly told me "yeah, but that is so cliche." IMO, if you don't want to work with patients, then you don't belong in medicine. So I think it is perfectly fine to say. BTW, I was accepted at that school, not sure about Harvard girl though.

Edit: Just to add a couple more reasons, I also included the opportunities to teach (both classroom and residents) in the future, and opportunities for research.

Nice. Do not forget abou personal anecdotes. They sure help too. Superficial ansers like 'i wana help people' just wont cut. There has got to be another reason, the other 9/10s belo the iceberg....and that is why you volunteer, shadow, and do research, to cultivate that motivation and reason for becoming a physician.

What made you SURE of the fact that you want to go into medicine? What experiences confirmed that belief for you? How did your undergraduate experience help you decide to become a physician?

Those are the kinds of questions you should be examining.

Pretty much this. From what I've gathered talking to others and reading here or in books is that both answers are fine as long as you can demonstrate with your experiences that its actually the case with you. If you say you love working with people, you better have something in your application that shows that and that you can talk about. That's all. It's a reasonable answer when backed up by evidence.

Admissions is a big joke that's neither funny or original. You need to be laughing right along with everyone else like it's the funniest thing you've ever heard. Otherwise, the joke's on you. Good luck.
Well said.

As long as you make it somewhat personalized you'll probably be okay. Either way there are opportunities for follow up questions if you need to expand. I think people overthink the question and that its main purpose is to weed out the 5% of candidates that are crazy or very insincere. At least that's the vibe I got from some of my interviewers.

Well said.

As long as you make it somewhat personalized you'll probably be okay. Either way there are opportunities for follow up questions if you need to expand. I think people overthink the question and that its main purpose is to weed out the 5% of candidates that are crazy or very insincere. At least that's the vibe I got from some of my interviewers.

Probably more than 5%

Everywhere you read about Med school interviews, when asked the question, why medicine, you are told not to say you want to help people and not to say that you like science. Well, excuse me if I'm wrong, but maybe this is my opinion, I would not want a doctor who doesn't want to help people or a doctor who doesn't like science!!

...and that's the point. It's already assumed that most people drawn to medicine want to help people and enjoy science. (Just think, has anyone in the history of med school admissions said they want to be a physician because they can't stand people and they loathe science?)

Some of the reasoning behind the question is a) those broad reasons alone don't justify why *medicine* as opposed to many other career paths where you can help others and/or use science, and b) adcoms want to hear about your personal journey to making the choice of medicine. What will motivate you through the long years of training or to stick with it on those days where everything seems to be going wrong? And, as other posters have noted, the way someone answers often demonstrates an applicant's level of self-reflection and maturity...two qualities valued highly in the process.

That's the truth. Schools are playing a game just as much, and perhaps even more, than the applicants are. "Our curriculum is new and unique. Our students get the earliest patient exposure. Our students score above average on step 1/2. Student run clinics, research, blah blah garbage."

I really like the way you describe the "joke". I'm picturing a horrible stand up comic in front of a sell out audience at some really fancy theatre: the jokes are awful and yet everyone is disrupting in laughter. I'm sitting there, utterly confused and bored, but I decide to force myself to smile and giggle for fear of looking like the only idiot who doesn't get the jokes. And I begin to wonder, "is anyone else laughing because they actually think it's funny or are they forcing themselves to laugh like me?" woah...