1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Cool "glide" years before med school?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by SBBunny, Nov 14, 2005.

1. SBBunny

SBBunny coffee bunny
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hello,

I'm curious what kinds of cool things people have done with the years between a Bachelor's and med school. I'm personally looking for something closer to medical work / clinical experience rather than classes, but I want to try to do something different and fun. I plan to file my AMCAS before the year off, so I don't really need something that will astound admissions....

Anyway, what kinds of activities have people done before medical school? Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. trishaaa

trishaaa Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I have been working as a Clinical Research Assistant and a Mental Health Counselor, but I'm quitting to be a dog walker and nanny for the next 9 months.

4. chemist156

chemist156 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am going to work in Latin America for 6 months and become fluent in Spanish, then go to France or China and work there for 6 months and become fluent in that language. Is 6 months enough time to be fluent?

5. drmota

drmota 2K Member
    5+ Year Member

chinese is a hell of a language to learn in 6 months. you'd get pretty good though.
    -mota

6. LucidSplash

LucidSplash Wire Jockey Trainee
    Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    By the time I matriculate (fingers crossed) in 2006, I'll have worked at a contract research organization for 2.5 years, helping to coordinate preclinical toxicology studies. I wouldn't use the word "fun" but it was definitely a nice change from my undergrad experience/degree (biochemistry/molecular bio) getting to experience the animal side of things. Interesting at times, definitely. And half-way to paying back those college loans to boot. :)

7. Uh, I don't think so, not unless you have some working knowledge of the language before hand. Most dialects are tonal. There is little room for an "accent" or mispronunciation like there is in English. But going to any country is the best way to get fully immersed and learn. Way to go! Let me know how it all works out for ya! :p

8. bobito

bobito Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

That sounds all fine and Dandy, until you try to do it.

For example when will you interview?? And then what if you apply to non-rolling schools....they could decide to interview you late in the season...say feb. Also are you going to come back for second look weekends...schools only give you 300 bucks for travel or so. tickets are about 500 bucks to latin america outside of mexico. and 1000+ to china.

I'm on my glide year. I went to guatemala for a month over the summer, before I had to come back and start on secondaries and such. I wrote some secondaries there like Northwestern that had due dates, which kind of sucked. The only thing keeping me in country right now is med schools....but its somewhat frustrating not having solid dates for being able to plan internships, buy plane tickets ect... But yeah after about Jan/Feb you'd be free as a bird.

9. rosenblum

rosenblum Membership Revoked
    Removed

yeah, i'm gonna take a year off. I'll try and do something productive for some of it: research, volunteer, etc. But for at least 3 months of it my plan is to go down to El Salvador. My buddy has a place on a beach down there, and we're just gonna bum around and go surfing all day. Apparently near my buddy's place there are fields and fields of marijuana. :eek: :) I imagine a scenario like that leonardo dicaprio movie "The Beach." Hopefully i won't get shot tho by some indonesian drug thugs as i steal a little. :rolleyes: :laugh:

10. Rjuza333

Rjuza333 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I working in clinical research right now for a non-profit cardiovascular research group. This summer I plan on taking some time to hike the Appalachian trail with my dad. Should be a fun experience.

11. 63768

63768 Guest
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    research in orthopedics, surgical experience, clinical experience. it's weird because sometimes i feel like i'm not doing enough...yet i'm working 50+ hr weeks.

12. pinkey

pinkey Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

slacker.