Cop to Doc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Summa637

I'm here for comic relief
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know of this is the most appropriate forum for this subject so if not, I'm sorry.
I am interested in there are any current students (pre-med, or med) or any current MDs out there that have done the career change from police officer to doctor?
That's is the situation I am contemplating for several months now. There is a lot that I need to do in prepatory work before even taking the MCAT, but either way I would like to hear your take on this situation. Thanks in advance.:xf:

Members don't see this ad.

There are several former officers who post here and the EM forum, and they may have more to add. One of my attendings was an officer before med school, and another did a reserve academy during residency. It's certainly not unheard of. I don't really think it's fundamentally any different from other career changers. I think there are some advantages, in that both are helping professions, and in both fields you have to be good at dealing with people in emotionally difficult situations. But of course some people have a bias against LEOs, and that may include some on admissions committees. The most important thing, as with every other class of applicant, is going to be grades and MCAT. Best of luck!

Thanks for replying, I am not surprised that some may have biases against LEOs, and even some admission committees. Regarding the adcoms, I would love to hear what that bias is...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah hit up the non-trad forum, a wealth of information.

Personally, I am a firefighter/paramedic who tried the cop thing for a few years (part-time, thankfully) and found it to not be what I hoped. I have almost given up on it entirely as I focus my efforts on my full-time fire gig, my family, and school.

Good luck!

There are several former officers who post here and the EM forum, and they may have more to add. One of my attendings was an officer before med school, and another did a reserve academy during residency. It's certainly not unheard of. I don't really think it's fundamentally any different from other career changers. I think there are some advantages, in that both are helping professions, and in both fields you have to be good at dealing with people in emotionally difficult situations. But of course some people have a bias against LEOs, and that may include some on admissions committees. The most important thing, as with every other class of applicant, is going to be grades and MCAT. Best of luck!

Actually, your attending did law enforcement, then software engineering, then med school. Course, he does wear those weird glasses and walks too fast.

@ the OP....I agree with pseudo. There may be some w/ a bias against, but it shouldn't be much of a problem.

I know Pseudoknot's attending, a graduate of the York Hospital ED, and a trauma surgeon who all spent time on the job. I wouldn't worry about previous law enforcement experience being a problem in getting into med school or residency. In fact, it may serve you well.

Please feel free to drop me a PM if you want some additional insights.

Thanks.

Wook