Medic --> doc... PS advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frosted2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any medics turned docs that used a good portion of your PS to explain how being a medic helped you grow as a person but also made you realize that you wanted to pursue med school?

I don't want to talk about it too much, but it is what made me realize that med school is where I would rather be (along with other things :) )

Thanks and stay safe out there.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not a doc yet, but I wrote about how being a medic pushed me to med school. What you need to remember is nobody but an EM doc will give two craps about you being a medic; everyone else basically equates it to being a nursing assistant.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not a doc yet, but I wrote about how being a medic pushed me to med school. What you need to remember is nobody but an EM doc will give two craps about you being a medic; everyone else basically equates it to being a nursing assistant.
Isn't that the truth? Haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any medics turned docs that used a good portion of your PS to explain how being a medic helped you grow as a person but also made you realize that you wanted to pursue med school?

I don't want to talk about it too much, but it is what made me realize that med school is where I would rather be (along with other things :) )

I’m an EMT, and I talked about my expdrience and how it pushed me towards the physician route. I hit on it in my personal statement, secondaries, and in my interviews. I was accepted to multiple schools. You have hands experience working with patients and making decisions so ADCOMS will look at as a positive. It is also unique, not many applicants have the experience in the field as you do. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I’m an EMT, and I talked about my expdrience and how it pushed me towards the physician route. I hit on it in my personal statement, secondaries, and in my interviews. I was accepted to multiple schools. You have hands experience working with patients and making decisions so ADCOMS will look at as a positive. It is also unique, not many applicants have the experience in the field as you do. Best of luck!
Awesome!!!! Congrats on your acceptances :) Bet it feels great to have all of that hard work pay off.

I just wanted to make sure that I did not blur the lines too much between sharing my experiences in a positive manner and making it sound like I want to be a medic for the rest of my life. I hope I have successes similar to you! Did you apply to any MD schools? I didn't see any in your signature. Were most of the interviewers receptive to the fact that you worked in EMS?

Awesome!!!! Congrats on your acceptances :) Bet it feels great to have all of that hard work pay off.

I just wanted to make sure that I did not blur the lines too much between sharing my experiences in a positive manner and making it sound like I want to be a medic for the rest of my life. I hope I have successes similar to you! Did you apply to any MD schools? I didn't see any in your signature. Were most of the interviewers receptive to the fact that you worked in EMS?

If you have a solid reason for why the physician route is right for you, then you're fine. I did apply to MD programs, waiting on UCLA and UCR, they were two programs that showed interest in me. Some schools didn't even bring it up in the interview, some did ask me about my experiences, but when answering behavioral type questions such as "tell me about at a stressful time in your life, a moment you failed, a time when you worked in a team setting" etc.. you'll have a much better base and more experience that are related to health care than most applicants, which i think will give you a huge leg up. Most pre meds just volunteer in a hospital or scribe and never talk with patients and do interventions. Anyway, best of luck! Please don't hesitate to PM me if you have any questions along the way, I am happy to help or share my advice/experiences.

Reviving old thread;

I applied 5 MD / 5 DO, accepted to 1 MD (WL at another, one R, silence on others) and 2 DO (4 II, canceled the rest of the II after 2) and I have found that EMS was best used to demonstrate empathy with patient populations and not necessarily for clinical exposure. I framed my PS around a call I had where it was obvious our trauma protocol was woefully outdated and was not in the patient's best interest (it was an overdose, but omfg GCS 3 backboard immediately reeeeeee).

Reiterating what was said above: the only interviewer than cared about skills and contact was an EM physician, and the first thing he did was vet that I've actually practiced at the ALS level and didn't just use it for a checkbox. B is common, and even P / NRP is fairly easy to get for someone driven for med school.

Tie it in to exposure to people that are different from yourself, placing yourself in their shoes, and realizing higher medicine is a way to greater contribute to these populations. EMS was the gateway to a humbling experience, etc. PM me if you have other questions.

Reviving old thread;

I applied 5 MD / 5 DO, accepted to 1 MD (WL at another, one R, silence on others) and 2 DO (4 II, canceled the rest of the II after 2) and I have found that EMS was best used to demonstrate empathy with patient populations and not necessarily for clinical exposure. I framed my PS around a call I had where it was obvious our trauma protocol was woefully outdated and was not in the patient's best interest (it was an overdose, but omfg GCS 3 backboard immediately reeeeeee).

Reiterating what was said above: the only interviewer than cared about skills and contact was an EM physician, and the first thing he did was vet that I've actually practiced at the ALS level and didn't just use it for a checkbox. B is common, and even P / NRP is fairly easy to get for someone driven for med school.

Tie it in to exposure to people that are different from yourself, placing yourself in their shoes, and realizing higher medicine is a way to greater contribute to these populations. EMS was the gateway to a humbling experience, etc. PM me if you have other questions.

Thanks for your input!
Also, I have pissed off many firefighters by removing people from backboards. :laugh:

(it was an overdose, but omfg GCS 3 backboard immediately reeeeeee).

Also, I have pissed off many firefighters by removing people from backboards. :laugh:

I was on residency interviews in December. During one of the ED tours, I noticed no less than 3 people in full spinal precautions with NO visible signs of trauma.....I couldn't help myself, "What f*****ing barbarians are still fully spinally immobilizing everyone?" slipped out.

I was on residency interviews in December. During one of the ED tours, I noticed no less than 3 people in full spinal precautions with NO visible signs of trauma.....I couldn't help myself, "What f*****ing barbarians are still fully spinally immobilizing everyone?" slipped out.
It’s bad man. We also have lots of people routinely pushing 8-10 mg of Narcan on cardiac arrests...while we are still in cardiac arrest. Or, wondering why they start to buck the tube and have to sedate them again.

It’s bad man. We also have lots of people routinely pushing 8-10 mg of Narcan on cardiac arrests...while we are still in cardiac arrest. Or, wondering why they start to buck the tube and have to sedate them again.

Geez. when I was still on the truck, I worked with a guy who still did the Narcan/D50/Bicarb on every cardiac arrest. The closest I came to chewing a crew out during one of my 4th year auditions was the old "Slam 2mg on the ramp and let them come up puking and swinging on the staff" trick. The medic didn't realize why I asked him how long the transport was: "Oh, 20 minutes, huh?"...

Geez. when I was still on the truck, I worked with a guy who still did the Narcan/D50/Bicarb on every cardiac arrest. The closest I came to chewing a crew out during one of my 4th year auditions was the old "Slam 2mg on the ramp and let them come up puking and swinging on the staff" trick. The medic didn't realize why I asked him how long the transport was: "Oh, 20 minutes, huh?"...
“They won’t learn if you let ‘em keep the high.”

:laugh:
I always love the 80+ year old with severe kyphosis on the backboard... thats another one that comes off the board after I do my assessment.

Got ‘em! What an ass.

8-10mg???? We dont even carry that much on a truck here wow.

Also did not know that EMS is still doing backboarding more than a handful times a year. We use vacuum mattresses even in Alaska...... I've only been working for 2 years, but ive only seen a backboard used once, and that was to extricate an unconscious pt.... onto a vacuum mattress.

Also did not know that EMS is still doing backboarding more than a handful times a year. We use vacuum mattresses even in Alaska...... I've only been working for 2 years, but ive only seen a backboard used once, and that was to extricate an unconscious pt.... onto a vacuum mattress.
We carry 4 mg on our trucks. If that doesn't wake them up, they earn a vent until they wake up.

It is a rare occasion that I board someone. I rarely even use c-collars anymore. They are uncomfortable and people end up moving around more anyways. As long as there is no apparent compromise and no spinal pain/tenderness, I usually forego the c-collar. How about everyone else? What are your alls thoughts on c-collars only?

We’ve got 4 mg in the bag, 2 mg in the box, PD carries 4 mg doses and the duty carries an additional 4 mg. We use a LOT of Narcan, and we treat pairs often enough that it’s nice to have a bit available, even through we rarely need all of it.

You’ll see most of us in the field titrate for effort vs ETCO2, but some of the old timers (supervising officers) slam lots and lots of Narcan. Or, PD arrives first and slams 4 IN because the administration set is silly and their hands are tied.

We can opt for a c-collar only, but the neighboring fire companies are still running full immobilization (and delicious standing takedowns). ALS is cleared to remove it, but that gets dramatic (as I’m sure you all experience)

We’ve got 4 mg in the bag, 2 mg in the box, PD carries 4 mg doses and the duty carries an additional 4 mg. We use a LOT of Narcan, and we treat pairs often enough that it’s nice to have a bit available, even through we rarely need all of it.

You’ll see most of us in the field titrate for effort vs ETCO2, but some of the old timers (supervising officers) slam lots and lots of Narcan. Or, PD arrives first and slams 4 IN because the administration set is silly and their hands are tied.

We can opt for a c-collar only, but the neighboring fire companies are still running full immobilization (and delicious standing takedowns). ALS is cleared to remove it, but that gets dramatic (as I’m sure you all experience)

YES.