Copay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VictorOfHungerGames

May the odds be ever in your favor
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently had a few patients just hang up on me after being told what the copay was.

I've spoken to my friends who are working at independents about this and they said their pharmacies have copay assistance where they will collect a certain minimum amount and set up a payment option of some kind. DIdn't really understand what that meant. I am told that doctors offices and hospitals do this all the time where they would only collect what the patient can afford and have a "write off" at some point?

How do you guys deal with these issues? Apparently, you have to at least make an attempt to collect the copay but then I guess whether you are successful or not is a different matter?

Members don't see this ad.

If they hang up on you the problem is already solved .. they aren't going to buy it. Move on to the next task.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Those are the types of patients you want to leave.

Reactions: 1 users
I've spoken to my friends who are working at independents about this and they said their pharmacies have copay assistance where they will collect a certain minimum amount and set up a payment option of some kind. DIdn't really understand what that meant. I am told that doctors offices and hospitals do this all the time where they would only collect what the patient can afford and have a "write off" at some point?
That sounds like a terrible idea. I can just imagine a huge number of patients making a downpayment or whatever, taking a few tabs and then saying "why would I pay $1500 for this?"

We had someone demand brand name Valium once. Then she got the huge copay to match. SHE PAID IT. Took the pills home and had buyer's remorse. No take backs!

Reactions: 1 user
I recently had a few patients just hang up on me after being told what the copay was.

How do you guys deal with these issues? Apparently, you have to at least make an attempt to collect the copay but then I guess whether you are successful or not is a different matter?

Any discussion about copays - really, they should be calling their insurance company. Why are they calling to speak with the pharmacist about a copay? Your technicians can provide that information. You don't decide copays. Their insurance plan does. If they call their insurance, they can tell them if they are restricted to certain pharmacies or WHATEVER. Just cut the middle man.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, I think what they meant was on some of the high priced drugs or drugs with high reimbursements. I guess if patient rejects to receive the meds due to a $50 copay, for example, then the pharmacy would lose out thousands of dollars whereas if they set up a payment option, patient wouldn't be as hesitant?