Copy and Paste Secondaries? How do you differentiate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

When writing secondaries for multiple schools I am finding there is a LOT of overlap in questions. Beyond adjusting for character count and changing words to match the prompt, what do you do to swing the essay more towards one school or another?

With the exception of mission driven schools, most school mission statements are basically "Heal people in a culturally competent environment with the power of science as well as compassion." So does tailoring to mission statement matter as much?

Members don't see this ad.

If it answers the question, you don’t need to change anything. Just don’t try to shoehorn an essay for a slightly different prompt that doesn’t quite fit.

Reactions: 1 users
Rule #1. Be sure you're using the name of the school you are applying to and not the name of another school.
#2. show that you know something about the school's curriculum or something else that the school mentions as important to it and mention it. Some schools use this question to force you to look at their website and respond as to why you think that their approach to team based learning is the greatest thing since Pokemon Go.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
and mention it
I am only on my third secondary (So much...) but I have not found an opportunity for anything like this. When beyond "Why our school" type questions would this come up?

All of the essays I have filled out thus far are like adversity, diversity, autobiography, research, when did you teach, when did you get criticism etc.

Granted, I still have 17 more to fill out so I will likely come up with more but when does that come up outside of the direct 'why our school' type questions? Also, should I mention my Pokémon Go level (37)? Will that help? /s

Reactions: 1 user
I am only on my third secondary (So much...) but I have not found an opportunity for anything like this. When beyond "Why our school" type questions would this come up?

All of the essays I have filled out thus far are like adversity, diversity, autobiography, research, when did you teach, when did you get criticism etc.

Granted, I still have 17 more to fill out so I will likely come up with more but when does that come up outside of the direct 'why our school' type questions? Also, should I mention my Pokémon Go level (37)? Will that help? /s

Many schools ask “Why our school?” You could also use “Anything else?” if they don’t have a “Why our school?”

Many schools ask “Why our school?” You could also use “Anything else?” if they don’t have a “Why our school?”
Huh, that didn't come up in my "Anything else" thread from the other day lol If a school already has an adversity and a diversity essay and they also have an optional essay, then I guess their programs etc. could come in to play there. I guess I just haven't happened across a "Why our school" question. Will def have an answer prepared for interviews.

Huh, that didn't come up in my "Anything else" thread from the other day lol If a school already has an adversity and a diversity essay and they also have an optional essay, then I guess their programs etc. could come in to play there. I guess I just haven't happened across a "Why our school" question. Will def have an answer prepared for interviews.

Northwestern and Mayo both have “why our school?” and I think you had them on your list. I also had a few others that asked.

I'm thinking of the "why our school" type questions where mission might be one answer but curriculum or fit might be others.
If there is an "anything else you want the committee to know" prompt, that's a good place to include the Pokemon Go level. /s

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Also, for the "anything else?" questions, it's totally okay to say 'nothing else'! Don't just write for the sake of writing.

I would also recommend waiting a few days before sending a secondary back, to give you a chance to reread it with a fresh set of eyes.

Reactions: 4 users
Also, for the "anything else?" questions, it's totally okay to say 'nothing else'! Don't just write for the sake of writing.

I would also recommend waiting a few days before sending a secondary back, to give you a chance to reread it with a fresh set of eyes.
Definitely picked that up on the other thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well it could help if you just caught them all...
Still missing Mr. Mime (only found in Europe) and Farfetch'd (only found in Asia). But beyond that, I have the rest of the gen 1 pokemon.

Enough Pokémon and derailing, the secondaries are an important topic lol

I'd recommend approaching each secondary individually and copy/pasting pieces into it. Don't exactly copy an essay unless it's purely about you and you can't mention the school.

It's a tiny bit more work, but they come out better and are more tailored to the institution each time

Don't exactly copy an essay unless it's purely about you and you can't mention the school.
I am finding that there are not very many questions that actually have anything to do with the schools.

What I have been doing is copypasta my template/basic/standardized copy of that essay type, reading the unique school prompt to see what it specifically wants emphasized, then going through the standard essay line by line and changing words, removing and adding different stories/themes, and expanding or contracting different components to match the given length. Obviously maintaining consistency geared toward the theme and towards the prompt.

I strongly concur with this. Many cut and paste answers read just like that. With difference in word/character length, slight variation in question, etc, each essay needs to be structured on its own. Do not assume simply shortening an essay will leave it as efffective
Is that a good method?

I pre-wrote like ~25 secondaries and I did one that was real long first and copied and pasted. I changed the names and I went on each school’s website and explicitly stated tied in mission specific topics or school related themes.

explicitly stated tied in mission specific topics or school related themes.
Do you think it is a good idea to use verbatim words from their mission statement or is it better to have your word choice hint in that direction?

Are schools upset if you use word choices directly from their website? I guess it just kinda feels corny.

Do you think it is a good idea to use verbatim words from their mission statement or is it better to have your word choice hint in that direction?

Are schools upset if you use word choices directly from their website? I guess it just kinda feels corny.

Definitely use your own words. 100%

I used the same key words in the schools’ mission statements. We all have our methods though. I’m the type of person that never likes to leave anything ambiguous.