Cornell...anyone from there ...or been there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sam786

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:confused: Has anyone interviewed at both BWH and cornell? any idea which one's better? I haven't heard anything from cornell, but I've been contacted several times from BWH. cornell is almost on top of my ROL, but i read about people complaining about poor didactics and having to relieve CRNAs. how true is that?ANY thoughts?? Please help...i'm so confused.

Members don't see this ad.

sam786 said:
:confused: Has anyone interviewed at both BWH and cornell? any idea which one's better? I haven't heard anything from cornell, but I've been contacted several times from BWH. cornell is almost on top of my ROL, but i read about people complaining about poor didactics and having to relieve CRNAs. how true is that?ANY thoughts?? Please help...i'm so confused.
The number of times a program has contacted you probably shouldn't figure heavily into your ranking decision.

I interviewed at both and thought BWH was a much better program, and has a reputation among the top 5 programs across the country. BWH was my favorite program overall, I liked how well organized and academically focused they were, but more than anything I was VERY impressed with the quality of their residents. Definitely the most impressive group i met anywhere- fun, interesting, diverse, and serious about anesthesia. My top priority, however, was to build a life in NYC- so I'm headed to Columbia.

powermd said:
The number of times a program has contacted you probably shouldn't figure heavily into your ranking decision.

I interviewed at both and thought BWH was a much better program, and has a reputation among the top 5 programs across the country. BWH was my favorite program overall, I liked how well organized and academically focused they were, but more than anything I was VERY impressed with the quality of their residents. Definitely the most impressive group i met anywhere- fun, interesting, diverse, and serious about anesthesia. My top priority, howbever, was to build a life in NYC- so I'm headed to Columbia.

i have a different opinion. i spent a month at BWH, and hated it. I felt that there teaching was poor, lectures were almost non existant with the exception of grandrounds, and i was fortunate to attend a meeting where the PD chastized residents for doing so poorly percentile wise on in-service exams. i think the residents are smart and a fun group, but it is not the end all be all program. and i am sure cornell has its issues, but i prefer it to to BWH.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's interesting how POWERMD's own rank list last year had Cornell 2 spots above BWH. Anyhow, these are both awesome programs that will open any door anywhere. One is NYC the other is in Boston. You will work hard at both, but you will also be very good when you're done. I am clearly biased toward Cornell, ranked them 1st back in the day, and have no regrets. If you look up my other posts, my reasons are fairly clear. PM me if you have specific questions.

somedude said:
It's interesting how POWERMD's own rank list last year had Cornell 2 spots above BWH. Anyhow, these are both awesome programs that will open any door anywhere. One is NYC the other is in Boston. You will work hard at both, but you will also be very good when you're done. I am clearly biased toward Cornell, ranked them 1st back in the day, and have no regrets. If you look up my other posts, my reasons are fairly clear. PM me if you have specific questions.

Wow, somebody (maybe somedude) needs a cupcake.

If anyone has a GRUDGE (got your PM, somedude), it's isn't me.

I find it interesting how a frequent reader of this forum can't seem to comprehend that a variety of factors influence ROL organization, not just one's overall opinion of the quality of each program.

My opinion of BWH was based on my interview day, and the comments of Boston-area anesthesiologists and PD's I spoke to on the interview trail. Perhaps if I spent a month there I would feel different about the program. Somehow somedude got the impression that I was putting down Cornell. No. Both are fine programs, but based on my (admittedly limited) experience, I was more impressed with BWH. For the record, since that seems to matter to you, I liked the residents at Cornell too. They were second only to BWH among all the programs I ranked.

I'm still convinced I ended up matching the best program in NYC, despite my attempt to rank warm 'n fuzzy Sinai and Cornell higher. I'm happy with my match but I have absolutely no problem with the other top programs in NYC. I, personally, would have been happy at any of them. When applicants ask me about Sinai, Cornell, and Columbia I tell them all are great programs, and they should rank them however they want, because they would be lucky to match any of them.

We could argue for days about which program is truly best, but ultimately it doesn't matter since they're all great programs.

No, POWERMD - you are the one who needs a cupcake. And perhaps a little bandaid? Sour grapes and holding a grudge over not even being ranked? You take every opportunity to take little potshots at Cornell, and when called out on it, make some general comment on how they are all great programs blah blah blah. Somedude is not the only one under this impression. Read your other posts regarding topics on NYC programs. In your own words you thought BWH was a "MUCH BETTER PROGRAM", and that you matched at the "BEST NYC PROGRAM" yet you clearly ranked Cornell and Sinai above Columbia and ranked BWH two spots below a clearly inferior program.

I spent a month at both Cornell and BWH and ended up ranking Cornell #1. So did 2 others in my year, all from Boston. Clearly the 2 programs are comparable and there were factors that drew us to Cornell. You are basing your observations on interviews, which I am sure are SO accurate. Open your mouth only on things you know, POWERMD.

NYCAnesthesia said:
No, POWERMD - you are the one who needs a cupcake. And perhaps a little bandaid? Sour grapes and holding a grudge over not even being ranked? You take every opportunity to take little potshots at Cornell, and when called out on it, make some general comment on how they are all great programs blah blah blah. Somedude is not the only one under this impression. Read your other posts regarding topics on NYC programs. In your own words you thought BWH was a "MUCH BETTER PROGRAM", and that you matched at the "BEST NYC PROGRAM" yet you clearly ranked Cornell and Sinai above Columbia and ranked BWH two spots below a clearly inferior program.

I spent a month at both Cornell and BWH and ended up ranking Cornell #1. So did 2 others in my year, all from Boston. Clearly the 2 programs are comparable and there were factors that drew us to Cornell. You are basing your observations on interviews, which I am sure are SO accurate. Open your mouth only on things you know, POWERMD.
Sour grapes? I don't think so. Cornell didn't fill because they wanted more Ivy leaguers in their program and didn't rank enough of us non-Ivy league grads. I'm not upset that I won't be working with such a narrow-minded PD. His strategy ended up backfiring anyway- one of my classmates scrambled in to a Cornell slot! You seem hypersensitive about anyone criticizing Cornell. I've been very clear about where I get my information. It's okay with me if you have a contrary viewpoint. I'm not going to engage in a pissing contest if that's what you're looking for. Now please, have a cupcake, relax, take a few deep breaths, and repeat after me- "there's no place like Cornell... there's no place like Cornell... there's no place like Cornell." Feeling better?

btw. Columbia is still the best!

powermd said:
Sour grapes? I don't think so. Cornell didn't fill because they wanted more Ivy leaguers in their program and didn't rank enough of us non-Ivy league grads. I'm not upset that I won't be working with such a narrow-minded PD. His strategy ended up backfiring anyway- one of my classmates scrambled in to a Cornell slot! You seem hypersensitive about anyone criticizing Cornell. I've been very clear about where I get my information. It's okay with me if you have a contrary viewpoint. I'm not going to engage in a pissing contest if that's what you're looking for. Now please, have a cupcake, relax, take a few deep breaths, and repeat after me- "there's no place like Cornell... there's no place like Cornell... there's no place like Cornell." Feeling better?

btw. Columbia is still the best!

PowerMD... u have a last second, quick columbia question PM... thanks!

sam786 said:

Sam786.. looks like ur having some difficulty evulating BWH, esp in comparission to Cornell. Obviously, I'm also an applicant, so take it for what its worth. However, I really liked BWH when I interviewed and second looked. As mentioned a few times before, the residents seem pretty cool, nice facilities, and great name. Schedule/work hour wise --- I've come to the conclusion that your gonna be working hard whichever program you go. Theyre is maybe at most a +/- 5 hour per week difference in the programs... to me, thats not that big a deal. The name/reputation of the program as well as the people who you'd be working with seem like bigger factors in my consideration.

Of note tho, BWH is heavy in Ob, whether thats your interest or not. Also, I really liked BWH and MGH simply because they are in the heart of the Longwood Medical area (Okay... MGH isnt really in the area).... which means your right in the vibrant medical culture, many opportunities for research, networking, meeting people, just attending semaniars/lectures in the area. Cornell didnt really offer that opportunity.

Infact, althought I've heard many good things about Cornell, nothing really stood out for me during my interview. Please dont take this as a knock of Cornell.... but to me, it seemed like their main selling point was the housing and regional experience. Regional is great and all, but I want to train as an Anesthesiologist first. I was told by more than one resident, that the didatics could be better. And housing ..... I came to the conclusion that paying $1,000 for the studio/1bedroom, while a good deal in lower east side, is really not that GREAT a deal. The same price gets you a decent 1bedrom/studio in Brookline (pretty nice area btw).

Anyways, I'm sure you and I would be fine whichever program we end up at. Just wanted to share my last minute thoughts with the board.

[thank you soo much. i personally loved bwh too, but my only fear was how am I going to manage. I am not from boston and so have no idea if I can commute to work everyday on a bike ...like most residents said they did. It seems like you're familiar with the area...would you mind letting me know about housing etc. I did stay at the brookline marriott for my interviews and the place seemed real nice. I'm from texas and to me privacy and having my own place is very important...rather than sharing with a room-mate. anywayz..if you have time please do respond.
:)

sam786 said:
[thank you soo much. i personally loved bwh too, but my only fear was how am I going to manage. I am not from boston and so have no idea if I can commute to work everyday on a bike ...like most residents said they did. It seems like you're familiar with the area...would you mind letting me know about housing etc. I did stay at the brookline marriott for my interviews and the place seemed real nice. I'm from texas and to me privacy and having my own place is very important...rather than sharing with a room-mate. anywayz..if you have time please do respond.
:)

ha.. no problem. i've been surfing this site for the last hour... making sure i didnt miss anything in regards to my assestment of my rank list. i dont anticipate changin my list, but can't help this obsessive personality...

anyways... I do remember hearing one of the BW residents saying they biked to work... which I thought was odd. The Longwood area is about 10minutes from Brookline by car or by subway. Brookline is where alot of the Harvard residents live. I spent some time up there before, so I know the 1bedroom/studios range from 800-1300 in that surrounding area. You can definitely get a nice 1bedroom for 1000-1100, but you will have to spend some of your own energy/time hunting. The area is quiet, about 10mins from downtown Boston, alot of younger professional types live there, alot of nice restaurants... overall a fun/younger/safe area. And again, the Longwood area is nice too.... durign spring/summer you'll see people hanging around in the Harvard quad and abouts. Alternatively, you can live in some other parts of Boston (which isnt THAT big a city really)... a big longer commute, but you can find 1bedrooms for $7-900. I plan on living in the Brookline area myself if I end up in Boston.

Let me mention, Cornell's area is pretty nice too... a bit more expensive I think tho, and a good 10-15min walk to nearest subway to take you another 10mins into downtown... or alternatively a $10 cab to downtown.