Cornell MHA vs. Other MHAs?? HELP!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MadeInChinaa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Here's my dilemma:
I'm debating between going to Cornell MHA, going to Dalhousie MHA (Canada), or wait to hear back from University of Minnesota MHA program. I just had my interview with UMN last week and won't hear back until May 2nd, which is after the deadline to respond to my offer to Cornell (this Friday!). At this point I don't think I want to wait on UMN and put all my eggs in one basket (if I reject Cornell and Dalhousie and then don't get into UMN then I'm screwed...) So now my most pressing problem is Cornell or Dalhousie?

Cornell
Pros: Ivy School; extensive network; good program; more opportunities in the States in healthcare cuz I can go with private or public
Cons: expensive (I'll be looking at 25,000 in tuition for 1st year); apparently the job prospects for this year's grads is not as good as previous years (not sure about the salary of recent grads); never studied in US so not sure what I'm getting myself into exactly...

Dalhousie:
Pros: I'll be staying in Canada (I'm more familiar with the work environment in Canada and how the healthcare system functions); I have lived in Halifax before; cheaper; job security (somewhat)
Cons: relatively new program; smaller exposure/smaller network

Is anyone here currently attending either program? or know either program in depth? or planning on attending either one?
Any insights are highly appreciated!
Thanks!
JD

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I m planning to apply for an MHA program in Canada. Could anyone please provide some info regarding MHA program in Dalhousie University?Is anyone here who has completed the program from Dalhousie?

What are the job prospects after completing an MHA from Dalhousie University?
Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks & regards,
Ravi

Hey there,

I'm also considering going to Cornell's MHA program starting this fall.
I don't know anything about Dalhousie, but Cornell definitely has lots of career resources and a great reputation.
What are your priorities when looking at a program?
For me, I wanted practical work experience. Students at Cornell can work part time or volunteer at the Cayuga Medical Center, Ithaca Health Alliance, and other organizations in the area. The PLIC is also a unique part of the curriculum.

I know graduate school in the US is expensive, but I would treat it as an investment for the future. Healthcare is a growing and exciting field, with many different possible career paths.
Actually Cornell is one of the cheapest in terms of tuition, which is another reason why I'm leaning towards it.

It does seem like you are hesitant to move to the US. But from what I have observed and talking with the students and faculty, they have a really great environment here.
Grad school is also a great opportunity to build your professional network, and Cornell has lots of access to healthcare leaders.

Those are some of my inputs. I'm still deliberating between choices myself but I wish you the best.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there,

I'm also considering going to Cornell's MHA program starting this fall.
I don't know anything about Dalhousie, but Cornell definitely has lots of career resources and a great reputation.
What are your priorities when looking at a program?
For me, I wanted practical work experience. Students at Cornell can work part time or volunteer at the Cayuga Medical Center, Ithaca Health Alliance, and other organizations in the area. The PLIC is also a unique part of the curriculum.

I know graduate school in the US is expensive, but I would treat it as an investment for the future. Healthcare is a growing and exciting field, with many different possible career paths.
Actually Cornell is one of the cheapest in terms of tuition, which is another reason why I'm leaning towards it.

It does seem like you are hesitant to move to the US. But from what I have observed and talking with the students and faculty, they have a really great environment here.
Grad school is also a great opportunity to build your professional network, and Cornell has lots of access to healthcare leaders.

Those are some of my inputs. I'm still deliberating between choices myself but I wish you the best.

Hi acadia1227!

Cornell is one of the top programs that I am considering for the Fall! How did you arrive at Cornell and what other programs are you applying to?

If you'd rather send me a PM, feel free to do so.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi acadia1227!

Cornell is one of the top programs that I am considering for the Fall! How did you arrive at Cornell and what other programs are you applying to?

If you'd rather send me a PM, feel free to do so.

I just sent you a PM