Cornell Nephrology Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jonathanlikes

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone here able to offer opinions on the Cornell Nephrology fellowship. It's obviously not held in the same regard as Columbia but what is the general reputation for the program and how it treats residents?

Members don't see this ad.

well their program director Dr august is a nationally renowned leader in nephrology and within the asn . Being at a top academic tertiary care center they see the full range of nephrology including all forms of RRT , do their own plasmapheresis , have a high kidney biopsy and transplant biopsy rate , transplant nephrology , and onconephrology (at Sloan Kettering ). Chronic HD does not seem to be the majority of what they see like what is seen at the lower tier renal fellowship programs

They offer additional third year training in transplant , onconephrology , research year (to be a top academician) and last graduates have gone on to do hypertension fellowships .

You can’t go wrong getting a world lass nephrology education there .

It’s IMG heavy (see their website ) but all nephrology programs and IMG heavy . If you’re an AMG you should still gun for Columbia . Not that amg > img persay (let’s not open that can of worms )

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone here able to offer opinions on the Cornell Nephrology fellowship. It's obviously not held in the same regard as Columbia but what is the general reputation for the program and how it treats residents?

Before taking on this venture, I would recommend you read through nephrology is dead thread. Just want to make sure there are no regrets down the road.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that's a good program. I interviewed there. They don't have a night float, they were still doing their own kidney bx. And their transplant program was small just like every transplant program in New York.

Pd is a big name in gestational hypertension. They still don't have a non teaching service. This was like 2 years ago. Something like chronics service that is non teaching is very helpful. Seems like you also do hypertension consults. Something interesting I think.

They have a good pd population I remember that. And onco nephrology at mskc is very interesting might not be that helpful in practice but something that other programs cannot provide except for a handful program like Cornell

I don't remember who does vascath. I would confirm that. It is expensive to live in New York.

Biggest problems I remember was night float and not having non teaching service. Also I would say for me living in New York is a negative since it is very expensive to live close to the hospital. They had housing but that was even expensive.

Also I would say for me living in New York is a negative since it is very expensive to live close to the hospital. They had housing but that was even expensive.
Manhattan is certainly expensive but Cornell pays fellows very very well
They make almost six figures

Yeah but when the cost of lunch can be $20 in NYC, you will need every penny. This is the Au Bon Pain in the lobby of NYP New York Hospital

1656097498970.png

1656097510979.png

Are you applying this cycle?