Official 2023-2024 Nephrology, Nephro+crit Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1164820

Interested applicants for the current cycle with questions, information about the process can post here.

Members don't see this ad.

Are we doing an excel sheet?

Reactions: 1 user
If we have one that would be great. I don't even have any old sheet that we could start editing.

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone got any interviews you can post here where they got.

Good luck everyone. The nephro invites come out pretty quick compared to other specialties. The next two weeks will be busy with emails.

Hi bon22 I think you applied last year. Do you by any chance have the excel sheet for application?

Hey,

Lets just use last years Excel

Reactions: 1 users
What's the average programs count nephro applicants usually go for ?

This stupis thing.. when I post the link it shows thst

Hi bon22 I think you applied last year. Do you by any chance have the excel sheet for application?
Yep, just started nephro fellowship a few short weeks ago. I unfortunately don’t have the spreadsheet still saved. It wasn’t particularly active last year either :(

What's the average programs count nephro applicants usually go for ?
I applied to 25 but honestly should’ve only applied to 10-15. US-DO btw.

Applying less is often risky. Would you mind sharing the just the rank order you did last year?

Just to understand how to rank becoz I am an IMG and have no clue which are considered better.

Or the worst case post the red flagged programs one has to avoid.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to 25 but honestly should’ve only applied to 10-15. US-DO btw.
I might have gone a bit overboard, applied to 80 programs (mix between top, middle and low tier) I have 10 IV already. Should I cancel some ? If so, what would be the best way to go about it ?

I might have gone a bit overboard, applied to 80 programs (mix between top, middle and low tier) I have 10 IV already. Should I cancel some ? If so, what would be the best way to go about it ?

I applied to 20, I think being realistic as to how many IV you can actually go to and the places you are actually willing to go to for fellowship is key. I think canceling early would give more oportunity to others.

Reactions: 2 users
apply and go on IVs at the top programs and also the programs that you feel would be a good fit geographically and for your lifestyle.

A few years ago I knew a resident who got a little cocky and applied to only 2 programs. His father is a successful interventional nephrologist and he was primed to take over the family business. he applied to just 2 programs Mt Sinai, Columbia. He only ranked these two programs. The did not match as a result. Fortunately he scrambled into NYU and he is now an interventinoal nephrologist taing over his father's practice in Arizona. Good times. But the same conventional wisdom for applying to other fellowships should still hold suit.

Ranking at least 10 for other competitive fellowships like cardiology has a very high chance (i cant recall the exact numbers but i read it in the NRMP stats) to match

ranking at least 10 for nephrology is more than enough to match but think of it is ranking at least 10 places you WANT to go to ensures you will be happy in your fellowship training.

Even though I am a regular contributor to the Nephrology is Dead thread, I do encourage all applicants who WANT TO DO NEPHROLOGY (such as those who want to become academic physicians) to please do so. We need all the best future nephrologists we can get. Academic nephrology is a wonderful field. But for those who do not want to do Academic Nephrology, see the other thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
The way I went about it was having a planned cap of 12 total interviews. As I got invites I canceled others to keep it at 12. I also canceled all of my Texas interviews once I saw the average summer temperatures.
For context I applied to 25, got invites to 24, did 12 interviews, and ranked 10 of those.

Stanford, Yale and USC (California) started to invite.

Last edited:
So how do we access this excel sheet to update? Got UMinnesota and Rush today

Hello, has anyone heard from:
Duke
Baylor College
Vanderbilt
Emory or
Dartmouth
?

I've had several interview invites but still nothing (and hoping to get) from these above.

Non-US IMG

Been averaging like 3 interviews a day, how some of y'all already have like 20 IVs is crazy

Is anyone able to schedule an interview at UTSW, Dallas yet? It's weired that I got an email this weekend saying you are invited for IV, but no follow up emails, no dates to schedule yet.

Is anyone able to schedule an interview at UTSW, Dallas yet? It's weired that I got an email this weekend saying you are invited for IV, but no follow up emails, no dates to schedule yet.
I'm in the exact same position. I emailed the program coordinator just about 20 min ago. Will post here if he replies.

I am happy that we have this thread.
more than happy to contribute:

So anyone have any idea how these interviews typically go? Not really sure what they'll be asking or how I need to prepare.

No idea, may be bon22 can guide us a little bit as he is a Nephrology fellow already.

Anyone heard anything from programs in NYC? Is it still early in the interview season you think most of the invites are gone?

Anyone heard anything from programs in NYC? Is it still early in the interview season you think most of the invites are gone?
Still pretty early seems like, would give it another week til you start thinking about hitting the panic button.

I think Weill Cornell has sent invites to someone. They have updated the excel sheet. I got one invite from NJ. Not sure what timelines work on IVs.

No idea, may be bon22 can guide us a little bit as he is a Nephrology fellow already.

A lot of the interviews are going to boil down to the same questions:

The general question types were: nephrology-specific, generic behavioral, favorite cases, and random.

-What made you interested in Nephrology?
-Where do you anticipate ending up as a nephrologist?
-What makes you a good candidate and fit for the (blank) program? Why apply here?
-What difficulties do you anticipate as a fellow?
-Tell me about yourself.
-What are your strengths/weaknesses?
-Some questions about research or something on your CV. If it's on your CV, you must be prepared to talk about it for >2 minutes.
-Tell me about a case that you found exciting and what you learned from it.
-Tell me about a case where you made a mistake.
-What do you do in your free time?
-What accomplishment are you most proud of?
-How do you deal with conflict? Possibly will be asked about an example as well. There will be several variations of behavioral questions that will come up. There are many examples all over the internet.
-If you weren’t a doctor, what would you have been?

If I remember correctly, U Wisconsin had a very generic interview where everyone was asked the same questions and it was honestly offputting to me. I enjoyed the interviews where it just felt like a discussion showing interest both ways. In some places, it felt like the interviewer just picked my CV off of the table and started reading it out loud then asked questions about it. My favorite interviews were spent talking about my dogs, hobbies outside of work, and common interests. Hell, the place I ended up matching, I talked with one of the interviewers for 30 minutes about espresso.

These interviews are long, think a 4-6 hour time commitment for everything including welcomes and Q&As. Some places had three 20-minute interviews, one had six 30-minute interviews.

It still feels like yesterday that I was going through this process and it's hard to believe a year has passed already. I'm excited for y'all.

One of the most important things you can do for yourself is to have an exhaustive list of questions ready to go to ask and fill out for each program. I'll just paste them directly from my spreadsheet.

# of vacation days
Night coverage system? How many times average called in per night? Are attendings available at night?
Is there a clear delineation of call being for emergency only or are you expected to see routine consults too? Are you expected to see ESRD face-to-face overnight?
Which EMR is used? How many hospitals do fellows cover? How far apart are they?
Food and parking situations
Who does the vascaths? Is there an option for a procedural team to place it?
Have any fellows left the program in the last 2 years? If so why?
Have you retained any residents from the parent IM program in the last 2 years?
Is there any onsite pathologist with training in renal path? Are they read in-house or sent out? Do fellows and faculty review biopsies with pathologists? How quickly are they available?
Are NPs/PAs used? What is the responsibilities/relationship of the fellows to these providers?
Are there simulation experiences?
Is there protected time for fellows to attend lectures?
What do fellows typically do after graduation and where do they go?
How does the program prepare fellows for the business aspects of nephro including private practice, academics, and medical directorship?
How many HD, PD, NHD, and Home Hemo patients are under the care of the program? Do fellows follow their cohort of chronic dialysis patients?
How many transplants per year?
How many kidney biopsies are performed in native and transplants by fellows by the end of two years?
How many vascaths are placed during day/week/month/year? What is the supervision like? How is competency determined?
What is the ICU service like? How much CRRT experience?
What is the experience with urinalysis interpretation, renal ultrasound, and pathology?
What is the outpatient continuity clinic like? Do fellows have the primary responsibility for these patients? What kind of patients are seen? How many patients are seen in a half day? What is the supervision like?
Is there experience with kidney disease in pregnancy, children transitioning to adulthood, advanced cancers, or nephrotoxic immunotherapies?
How many general nephro clinics are there besides the fellow continuity clinics? What is the ratio of faculty to fellows in these clinics?
Are there specialty clinics within the programs? Complex hypertension, GN/SLE/renal vasculitis, stones, PCKD?
What experience is there with plasmapheresis?
Any renal palliative care didactic?
Is there a research requirement? What are the expectations?
What are the quality improvement expectations for fellows?

Reactions: 3 users
Please please please do not go somewhere that does not consistently match fellows. Your call schedule will be brutal and there's usually a good reason for not filling entirely.
2023 Match Rates

Reactions: 3 users
A lot of the interviews are going to boil down to the same questions:

The general question types were: nephrology-specific, generic behavioral, favorite cases, and random.

-What made you interested in Nephrology?
-Where do you anticipate ending up as a nephrologist?
-What makes you a good candidate and fit for the (blank) program? Why apply here?
-What difficulties do you anticipate as a fellow?
-Tell me about yourself.
-What are your strengths/weaknesses?
-Some questions about research or something on your CV. If it's on your CV, you must be prepared to talk about it for >2 minutes.
-Tell me about a case that you found exciting and what you learned from it.
-Tell me about a case where you made a mistake.
-What do you do in your free time?
-What accomplishment are you most proud of?
-How do you deal with conflict? Possibly will be asked about an example as well. There will be several variations of behavioral questions that will come up. There are many examples all over the internet.
-If you weren’t a doctor, what would you have been?

If I remember correctly, U Wisconsin had a very generic interview where everyone was asked the same questions and it was honestly offputting to me. I enjoyed the interviews where it just felt like a discussion showing interest both ways. In some places, it felt like the interviewer just picked my CV off of the table and started reading it out loud then asked questions about it. My favorite interviews were spent talking about my dogs, hobbies outside of work, and common interests. Hell, the place I ended up matching, I talked with one of the interviewers for 30 minutes about espresso.

These interviews are long, think a 4-6 hour time commitment for everything including welcomes and Q&As. Some places had three 20-minute interviews, one had six 30-minute interviews.

It still feels like yesterday that I was going through this process and it's hard to believe a year has passed already. I'm excited for y'all.

One of the most important things you can do for yourself is to have an exhaustive list of questions ready to go to ask and fill out for each program. I'll just paste them directly from my spreadsheet.

# of vacation days
Night coverage system? How many times average called in per night? Are attendings available at night?
Is there a clear delineation of call being for emergency only or are you expected to see routine consults too? Are you expected to see ESRD face-to-face overnight?
Which EMR is used? How many hospitals do fellows cover? How far apart are they?
Food and parking situations
Who does the vascaths? Is there an option for a procedural team to place it?
Have any fellows left the program in the last 2 years? If so why?
Have you retained any residents from the parent IM program in the last 2 years?
Is there any onsite pathologist with training in renal path? Are they read in-house or sent out? Do fellows and faculty review biopsies with pathologists? How quickly are they available?
Are NPs/PAs used? What is the responsibilities/relationship of the fellows to these providers?
Are there simulation experiences?
Is there protected time for fellows to attend lectures?
How does the program prepare fellows for the business aspects of nephro including private practice, academics, and medical directorship?
How many HD, PD, NHD, and Home Hemo patients are under the care of the program? Do fellows follow their cohort of chronic dialysis patients?
How many transplants per year?
How many kidney biopsies are performed in native and transplants by fellows by the end of two years?
How many vascaths are placed during day/week/month/year? What is the supervision like? How is competency determined?
What is the ICU service like? How much CRRT experience?
What is the experience with urinalysis interpretation, renal ultrasound, and pathology?
What is the outpatient continuity clinic like? Do fellows have the primary responsibility for these patients? What kind of patients are seen? How many patients are seen in a half day? What is the supervision like?
Is there experience with kidney disease in pregnancy, children transitioning to adulthood, advanced cancers, or nephrotoxic immunotherapies?
How many general nephro clinics are there besides the fellow continuity clinics? What is the ratio of faculty to fellows in these clinics?
Are there specialty clinics within the programs? Complex hypertension, GN/SLE/renal vasculitis, stones, PCKD?
What experience is there with plasmapheresis?
Any renal palliative care didactic?
Is there a research requirement? What are the expectations?
What are the quality improvement expectations for fellows?
What a Legend!