Cornell vs. Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lapape

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't decide which one of the two NYC programs to rank higher. I liked both programs and I was able to pick up on some of the differences between the two (better linving situation at Cornell, more operative experience at Columbia etc.), but I was wondering if anyone did rotations at either of them and can share his/her experience.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The fellows seem to dominate a lot of the cases at Cornell. I don't know if this is true at Columbia, but it is certainly true of Cornell. They say that they are trying to change this, and that while some of the big names brought more fellows with them (think Gagner, Milsom, etc) they are also bringing more cases. According to the Chairman, things were worse when these guys first arrived, as they still hadn't built up their practices at Cornell, but now that they have more cases the fellows won't be able to take all of them. Maybe that is true, but the residents still complain about not getting cases.

As you mentioned, the big advantage Cornell has is the housing. It would be nice to live in a large subsidized apartment in Manhattan with no commute to the hospital.

what's the housing like at Columbia
Are there good housing options near the columbia medical center, where you can walk to work?
thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Retinamark said:
what's the housing like at Columbia
Are there good housing options near the columbia medical center, where you can walk to work?
thanks

Both are great programs. I'd be happy to match at either. Columbia I think is the much stronger program in terms of case load. That may or may not be important to you. Not sure on the research front though, may be equal, but probably depends on what your interests are: CT - Columbia, Onc-Cornell is my sense.

Something I just recently found out is that Columbia does in fact have subsidized housing near the hospital, but it is not guaranteed, and it is housing that is for all hospital employees (nurses, techs...). One of the residents I spoke with pays a little over a grand a month for a two bedroom. Not bad. Certainly, not the upper east side like Cornell. But it is a safe area nonetheless. I think most residents however live in the upper west side and rents there are pretty pricey.

It is a total toss up. Go with your gut. That's all that matters.

Since the discussion of some of the NYC programs and Cornell vs. Columbia has come up, I thought I might add my two cents.

Residents:
Cornell: All of the residents were extremely friendly, seemed to have great rapport and a "have each other's backs" attitude. There was more than one instance when residents were getting hammered on call overnight and residents on other services would help out on their own accord. The team structure was very non-hierarchical, with it almost difficult to tell just based on interactions who was chief and who was intern.

Columbia: Definitely more of a "suck up and deal" attitude rather than "got your back". Residents seemed tired and overworked, with frequent tiffs between residents. Likely a reflection of the enormous workload in a hospital that makes everything more difficult. Unlike Cornell where the chiefs would tell students to come in, get the vitals and lets all round together, Columbia subI's were coming in as early as 4:30am (some earlier) and were expected to finish all the notes before the chief came, and weren't even given weekends off. Atmosphere definitely seemed not very collegial.

Leadership:
Cornell: The residents seemed to have a great relationship with the administration, especially the Chair and PD. The chair had weekly rounds, regularly held meetings with the residents, organized and conducted M&M etc. gestures I saw as indications of his commitment to the surgical program. Cornell is also starting their own liver transplant division, and I know the chair is instrumental in that. He also seems to command a great deal of respect both within the dept. as well as elsewhere (president of Society for Surg.Onc etc). Moreover, he is the nicest guy, an absolute gentleman and one of the most humble surgeons I have met given his prominence in the field of academic surgery.

The PD also seemed to have a great rapport with the residents, hanging out with them in the lounge, joking, and so on. His weekly topic discussions were a reflection of the laid back nature of their interactions, and this was evident to those who saw him at the bar night before interview day.

Although the hospital is supposedly run like a private hospital, it did not seem as if all attendings treated their patients like private patients. There were numerous instances where the chief was allowed to start complex cases with junior residents and the attending would show up hours later just to help out with the anastamosis and leave, with MSIV's regularly doing the opening and closing. OR teaching was overall great, with focus not just on technical details but possible complications, current treatment modalities and trials and so on.

Columbia: The fact that the chair doesn't come to the general surgery interviews, is completely uninvolved with the program (as per residents and info on interview day) and the ONLY attending addressing the candidates was the PD (who is likely going to retire in a few years) was discouraging. Some of the attendings I spoke to openly disclosed their discontent with the administration and because of this, are apathetic towards teaching residents. This seemed to agree with some other info on Columbia attendings being unhappy eg: the numerous vascular attendings who recently left for St. Luke's. MSIV's also spent entire months on service without even doing a single closure.

Cornell's night before – almost everyone who could including the PD and another attending showed up. Columbia's night before – turnout mostly limited to interns (some who were ortho and stuff), NO CHIEFS!! On interview day, whereas Cornell seemed vibrant, lots of people enthusiastic about the place, Columbia seemed empty – the presentation to the interviewees was done by a chief resident (not even an attending!), and apart from her (who was likely asked by the PD to do it), there were NO SENIORS/CHIEFS AROUND to talk about their experiences nor were there any attendings apart from the PD and maybe two others. If you like your program, you should be enthusiastic about it and show up to sell it. It was a hard sell if those tooting it were interns. Many of the interviewees echoed similar feelings (check out locitamd's post on interview experiences on Columbia).

Fellowships:
Cornell: Check them out yourself: http://www.cornellsurgery.org/resid...reer+Paths+of+Program+Graduates&type1=2Active

Great programs and a variety of specialties represented, including plastics matches at UCSF, NYU (2004), cornell/columbia, CT at MGH, WashU, Surg Onc at Memorial sloan, MDAnderson, transplant at UCSF and UPitt. Great fellowships = other programs must consider cornell residents very highly + cornell must have very supportive administration to get residents to where they want to be + the deal on "cornell residents don't operate" must be bogus as obviously other institutions hold them in high regard.

Columbia: Check it out: http://www.columbiasurgery.org/residency/graduates.html

Not as broad representation of specialties (very heavy CT, Tranplant), almost no plastics, very few onc with only 2 onc. fellowship in over 10 years (one which was breast). Even all the CT, transplant fellowships heavily matching at Columbia. I didn't like that fact that Columbia residents weren't venturing out for even CT and Tranplant fellowships, areas they are supposed to be better in. And if they are better than cornell in these specialties, why was I seeing CT at MGH, WashU and transplant at UCSF and Univ. of Pitt on Cornell's fellowship matches, but none of these for Columbia?

One area Columbia is likely stronger in is peds, with consistently very good fellowship matches and most likely a better peds surg experience by having a childrens hospital.

Location: Cornell, great location, great housing, nothing beats rolling out of bed into the hospital, home call a great plus. Columbia – location is horrible so even with subsidized housing, not a great location to live by any means. And although most residents live on the upper west side, commuting even 20mins can be extremely painful in NYC, especially going back in the evening. Also, considering Columbia's long hours, waking up at 4:00am (or earlier) to make that extra 20 min commute didn't seem appealing to me.

Training/OR experience: Columbia likely slightly more OR heavy than Cornell, but Cornell likely better all around training with better ICU rotations and so on. Also, I don't think making a good surgeon depends solely on the sheer number of cases you log as a resident. This in itself is a separate discussion but I think most would agree it is a mix of a lot of things. Cornell seemed to have all of it, with good operative numbers, good breadth of cases, great research opps, good didactics, great faculty, great residents and so on. Columbia, although anecdotally was supposed to have lots more operative exposure for residents, the seniors and chiefs were not terribly impressive in terms of operative skills (eg: fourth year residents holding single laparoscopic instruments with two hands). The lack of ICU experience at Columbia (I think only 2 months as a 2nd year) was evident in the billion consults for every little thing (plus questions to MSIV's such as "What is Plavix?"). The didactics also didn't seem highly academic, with not much emphasis of recent trials, new treatment modalities and so on.

OR volumes at Cornell had been criticized for being low. I found that the average cases logged by Cornell chiefs ranged from 850-1000 cases and these were the same numbers advertised by other big academic institutions such as MGH and Brigham on their interview days. I definitely don't believe the 1500 cases logged by Columbia chiefs. In city programs such as NYC, Boston where competition for cases is higher and fellowships exist, such numbers I don't think are possible anywhere - especially at Columbia considering poor ancillary facilities at the hospital. So my feeling was case load at Cornell was comparable to any other academic city program and the rumours on the trail were likely just that – very much like the "NYU is malignant" rumour which I know is completely unfounded.

I think most of your impressions of an institution depend on personal experiences so go with your gut. I think that among all the top institutions, there virtually is no difference and its just a matter of where you fit in. However, no matter how good a program is, it is not going to make you a good surgeon if you are miserable, hate the people you work with, are unmotivated and wish you were somewhere else. That being said, here's my list:

1. Cornell
2. Brigham
3. MGH
4. WashU
5. UCSF
6. UCLA
7. Hopkins
8. UPenn
9. NYU
10. Mt. Sinai
11. Columbia

Sorry double post

gsurg said:
Since the discussion of some of the NYC programs and Cornell vs. Columbia has come up, I thought I might add my two cents.

Residents:
Cornell: All of the residents were extremely friendly, seemed to have great rapport and a "have each other's backs" attitude. There was more than one instance when residents were getting hammered on call overnight and residents on other services would help out on their own accord. The team structure was very non-hierarchical, with it almost difficult to tell just based on interactions who was chief and who was intern.

Columbia: Definitely more of a "suck up and deal" attitude rather than "got your back". Residents seemed tired and overworked, with frequent tiffs between residents. Likely a reflection of the enormous workload in a hospital that makes everything more difficult. Unlike Cornell where the chiefs would tell students to come in, get the vitals and lets all round together, Columbia subI's were coming in as early as 4:30am (some earlier) and were expected to finish all the notes before the chief came, and weren't even given weekends off. Atmosphere definitely seemed not very collegial.

Leadership:
Cornell: The residents seemed to have a great relationship with the administration, especially the Chair and PD. The chair had weekly rounds, regularly held meetings with the residents, organized and conducted M&M etc. gestures I saw as indications of his commitment to the surgical program. Cornell is also starting their own liver transplant division, and I know the chair is instrumental in that. He also seems to command a great deal of respect both within the dept. as well as elsewhere (president of Society for Surg.Onc etc). Moreover, he is the nicest guy, an absolute gentleman and one of the most humble surgeons I have met given his prominence in the field of academic surgery.

The PD also seemed to have a great rapport with the residents, hanging out with them in the lounge, joking, and so on. His weekly topic discussions were a reflection of the laid back nature of their interactions, and this was evident to those who saw him at the bar night before interview day.

Although the hospital is supposedly run like a private hospital, it did not seem as if all attendings treated their patients like private patients. There were numerous instances where the chief was allowed to start complex cases with junior residents and the attending would show up hours later just to help out with the anastamosis and leave, with MSIV's regularly doing the opening and closing. OR teaching was overall great, with focus not just on technical details but possible complications, current treatment modalities and trials and so on.

Columbia: The fact that the chair doesn't come to the general surgery interviews, is completely uninvolved with the program (as per residents and info on interview day) and the ONLY attending addressing the candidates was the PD (who is likely going to retire in a few years) was discouraging. Some of the attendings I spoke to openly disclosed their discontent with the administration and because of this, are apathetic towards teaching residents. This seemed to agree with some other info on Columbia attendings being unhappy eg: the numerous vascular attendings who recently left for St. Luke's. MSIV's also spent entire months on service without even doing a single closure.

Cornell's night before – almost everyone who could including the PD and another attending showed up. Columbia's night before – turnout mostly limited to interns (some who were ortho and stuff), NO CHIEFS!! On interview day, whereas Cornell seemed vibrant, lots of people enthusiastic about the place, Columbia seemed empty – the presentation to the interviewees was done by a chief resident (not even an attending!), and apart from her (who was likely asked by the PD to do it), there were NO SENIORS/CHIEFS AROUND to talk about their experiences nor were there any attendings apart from the PD and maybe two others. If you like your program, you should be enthusiastic about it and show up to sell it. It was a hard sell if those tooting it were interns. Many of the interviewees echoed similar feelings (check out locitamd's post on interview experiences on Columbia).

Fellowships:
Cornell: Check them out yourself: http://www.cornellsurgery.org/resid...reer+Paths+of+Program+Graduates&type1=2Active

Great programs and a variety of specialties represented, including plastics matches at UCSF, NYU (2004), cornell/columbia, CT at MGH, WashU, Surg Onc at Memorial sloan, MDAnderson, transplant at UCSF and UPitt. Great fellowships = other programs must consider cornell residents very highly + cornell must have very supportive administration to get residents to where they want to be + the deal on "cornell residents don't operate" must be bogus as obviously other institutions hold them in high regard.

Columbia: Check it out: http://www.columbiasurgery.org/residency/graduates.html

Not as broad representation of specialties (very heavy CT, Tranplant), almost no plastics, very few onc with only 2 onc. fellowship in over 10 years (one which was breast). Even all the CT, transplant fellowships heavily matching at Columbia. I didn't like that fact that Columbia residents weren't venturing out for even CT and Tranplant fellowships, areas they are supposed to be better in. And if they are better than cornell in these specialties, why was I seeing CT at MGH, WashU and transplant at UCSF and Univ. of Pitt on Cornell's fellowship matches, but none of these for Columbia?

One area Columbia is likely stronger in is peds, with consistently very good fellowship matches and most likely a better peds surg experience by having a childrens hospital.

Location: Cornell, great location, great housing, nothing beats rolling out of bed into the hospital, home call a great plus. Columbia – location is horrible so even with subsidized housing, not a great location to live by any means. And although most residents live on the upper west side, commuting even 20mins can be extremely painful in NYC, especially going back in the evening. Also, considering Columbia's long hours, waking up at 4:00am (or earlier) to make that extra 20 min commute didn't seem appealing to me.

Training/OR experience: Columbia likely slightly more OR heavy than Cornell, but Cornell likely better all around training with better ICU rotations and so on. Also, I don't think making a good surgeon depends solely on the sheer number of cases you log as a resident. This in itself is a separate discussion but I think most would agree it is a mix of a lot of things. Cornell seemed to have all of it, with good operative numbers, good breadth of cases, great research opps, good didactics, great faculty, great residents and so on. Columbia, although anecdotally was supposed to have lots more operative exposure for residents, the seniors and chiefs were not terribly impressive in terms of operative skills (eg: fourth year residents holding single laparoscopic instruments with two hands). The lack of ICU experience at Columbia (I think only 2 months as a 2nd year) was evident in the billion consults for every little thing (plus questions to MSIV's such as "What is Plavix?"). The didactics also didn't seem highly academic, with not much emphasis of recent trials, new treatment modalities and so on.

OR volumes at Cornell had been criticized for being low. I found that the average cases logged by Cornell chiefs ranged from 850-1000 cases and these were the same numbers advertised by other big academic institutions such as MGH and Brigham on their interview days. I definitely don't believe the 1500 cases logged by Columbia chiefs. In city programs such as NYC, Boston where competition for cases is higher and fellowships exist, such numbers I don't think are possible anywhere - especially at Columbia considering poor ancillary facilities at the hospital. So my feeling was case load at Cornell was comparable to any other academic city program and the rumours on the trail were likely just that – very much like the "NYU is malignant" rumour which I know is completely unfounded.

I think most of your impressions of an institution depend on personal experiences so go with your gut. I think that among all the top institutions, there virtually is no difference and its just a matter of where you fit in. However, no matter how good a program is, it is not going to make you a good surgeon if you are miserable, hate the people you work with, are unmotivated and wish you were somewhere else. That being said, here's my list:

1. Cornell
2. Brigham
3. MGH
4. WashU
5. UCSF
6. UCLA
7. Hopkins
8. UPenn
9. NYU
10. Mt. Sinai
11. Columbia

That was one of the more thought out and insightful psots I've seen in a while. I think gsurg hit the nail right on the head with that one. Having interviewed at both, I got the same exactl impressions, and agree with everything said above. I think this post deserves :thumbup: :thumbup:

gsurg said:
Residents:
Wow. I don't know when you were at Cornell or for how long, but I think my rotations at Cornell must have been in a parallel universe. I'm really interested in hearing which residents you worked with (although I don't expect you to post their names ;)) and which teams you were on. And it actually seemed non-hierarchical to you? What are we comparing this to - the Marine Corps? The one thing I hate about Cornell is the hierarchy. A resident's rank was always clear on the teams I was on. And as for residents helping each other out - really? I just remember one day when the PGY-3 was mocking the interns for calling him in the middle of the night with trivial problems. This wasn't in a friendly playful way, and it was just a few months into the interns' year. That guy will be a PGY-5 next year.

Cornell:
There were numerous instances where the chief was allowed to start complex cases with junior residents and the attending would show up hours later just to help out with the anastamosis and leave, with MSIV's regularly doing the opening and closing. OR teaching was overall great, with focus not just on technical details but possible complications, current treatment modalities and trials and so on.
:laugh: Dude, you WERE in a parallel universe. MSIVs doing the openings? Even the interns have to fight for that. The Cornell med students usually hate doing their general surgery clerkship at Cornell because all you do is stand there. One guy, who had previously wanted to do surgery but changed his mind after that clerkship, was pretty bitter when he told me that he was allowed to suture ONCE during the rotation. So med students opening and closing? This may have happened, but it is not in any way normal or common.

I can't comment on Columbia too much because I never did a rotation there. I'm only going on what I saw at the interview and at a second look with the residents.

Cornell certainly puts residents into good fellowships. That's because of its name. It doesn't have to produce technically good surgeons because it has an academic name, and the residents are all smart people who do research. Of course they get good fellowships.

About the ICU training at Cornell: Yes, you will get good ICU training... and you will hate every minute of it. I spent a month in that ICU. I really respect the guy who runs it - he's very intelligent and he knows it. And he believes in education by humiliation. The medical students get off easy because they are completely ignored.

Yes, this is all very subjective. But I'll add one more thing. I did a rotation with one of the residents who bitched about the program all the time during the rotation. Then on the interview day he gave us a tour and acted like he loved it. I just found out that he will be leaving after this year and has secured a spot in another field at a different hospital. He didn't seem like someone who "wasn't cut out to be a surgeon," either. I think he liked surgery; he just couldn't stand the program.

Alex, for your sake, if you match here than I hope that my impressions are completely wrong. :luck: