Pros/cons of hospital OR vs ASC vs in-office surgeries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc mu

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently learned that most docs prefer (when possible) to do surgeries in ASCs rather than the hospital due to it being more efficient so I was wondering what the difference between these 3 settings is and which you think as an attending is better

Members don't see this ad.

This is about patient selection. Not all procedures and all patients are appropriate for these settings. But when appropriate, ASC and OBLs are really nice to work in for the reasons you’ve already referred to. There is no one that is “better” for all patients or every procedure.

Reactions: 2 users
This is about patient selection. Not all procedures and all patients are appropriate for these settings. But when appropriate, ASC and OBLs are really nice to work in for the reasons you’ve already referred to. There is no one that is “better” for all patients or every procedure.
I meant more what are the pros/cons from a doctor prespective as in money, staff, control...etc, I mean I don't understand why office procedures would be favored when they increase overhead drastically for example

Members don't see this ad :)
I meant more what are the pros/cons from a doctor prespective as in money, staff, control...etc, I mean I don't understand why office procedures would be favored when they increase overhead drastically for example

Why do you think they increase overhead?

ASCs and OBLs collect both the facility fee and the physician fee. If the physician has part or whole ownership, they get a portion of the fee. In a hospital, the physician is limited to the physician fee. Sure, they don’t pay for the support staff and building expenses and such. But in the ASC/OBL, if things are run well, with decreased turnover time and better efficiency, this makes for both better financials and better work-life balance.

Reactions: 4 users
As stated above you get paid more to do an office procedure. So if you can get it done without spending more on equipment and supplies then you come out ahead. Surgery center there are pros that come with ownership interest but even without that the turnover time is much less and at the one i go to buys you lunch when you have cases there so when I can I like going there.

Reactions: 1 users
I operate a lot in all of the above and my preference definitely depends on the case I’m doing. Overall I prefer our ASC because it’s so much faster and more efficient and I tend to do a lot of shorter cases rather than a couple big ones. For longer bigger cases I like our main OR - not as pressured to wrap it up when things go a bit long, and much easier to get patients to sicu afterwards.

I do a lot of office based procedures too - arguably the bulk of my revenue. You can bill a facility fee for office procedure depending on whether you’re classified as place of service -11 or -22. With a facility fee the MD fee is lower but you can charge the cost of things like single use injectables and laser fibers rather than deducting it from the slightly higher fee.

ETA: I love office procedures because it doesn’t eat up my precious OR time, and it’s a good use of my time, and notes are super easy to write. The drawbacks are efficiency of setup in the beginning as your staff are learning, and sometimes I bump a potential office case to the OR if I’m worried about an intraop complication. Managing something in the office is fairly challenging, so these tend to be easy chip shot cases.

Reactions: 4 users
I prefer ASC because the turnover is faster than the hospital and when you try to do a total hip in the office people lose their mind for some reason…

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I prefer ASC because the turnover is faster than the hospital and when you try to do a total hip in the office people lose their mind for some reason…
You never know, at some point outpatient TJA was borderline blasphemous and look at where we are today

Reactions: 1 user
As stated above you get paid more to do an office procedure. So if you can get it done without spending more on equipment and supplies then you come out ahead. Surgery center there are pros that come with ownership interest but even without that the turnover time is much less and at the one i go to buys you lunch when you have cases there so when I can I like going there.
Is buying lunch a Stark violation?