Cornell vs. Davis vs. UGA (Prestige vs. Price)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

elephantDVM

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys. So Background:
I've been extremely fortunate this application cycle. I've been accepted to 6 different programs so far (I'm from New Jersey....so my application strategy was just to apply everywhere and pray). Right now, I'm most seriously considering Cornell, Davis, and UGA. I've wanted to go to Cornell since I was a little baby high-schooler. Getting in is a huge deal for me and an absolute dream come true. But when I interviewed at Davis I felt so at home and happy. And then UGA called me on Friday and told me that they were offering me In State Tuition which....if I'm reading the website correctly, means that I could go to vet school for under 80,000 total and graduate with no debt. So I was wondering, dear internet, if you could give me some insight.
What is the REAL difference between the #1 school in the country and the #9? Is the Cornell or Davis reputation so much more prestigious than Georgia's? Are the opportunities offered at each school so vastly different?
Basically - would I be making a huge mistake if I chose the financially responsible option over the academically "better" ones.
I could really use some guidance here.
EVEN MORE BACKGROUND: I'm interested in Lab Animal/ Research and Aquatics.
 
You would be making the best decision possible if you chose the more financially responsible option over the others. Hands down. Unless there is some reason that you absolutely can't imagine yourself going to UGA...I mean, ultimately it is your decision, but I would go there. Rankings really don't mean anything, and in most cases you will be able to get the experiences you want for specialties through externships if you can't find those experiences at the school. If you can manage to get out of vet school with no debt (I'm assuming you have a way of paying that $80,000 out of pocket?) then that is seriously the best case scenario. Congratulations on all of your acceptances 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In the end it comes down to what decision can you live with and what will make you happiest. If you've dreamed of a school your entire life and now you have the chance to go there that's a huge deal but so is having little debt. Vet school only happens once and you want to make the most out of it. I would talk to Georgia and tell them about your interest and see if it is a viable option for you and compare that with other schools. Congrats on the acceptances!!!!
 
Hello,
My opinion for you is to choose where you would be happy for the next 4 years of your life. While it is nice to pay less, you have to think about...Am I going to be happy?
Ultimately, ranking has nothing to do with the quality of schooling. I have always thought its not about where you go, its what you do with it. While you have the opportunity to go to a school with enormous name recognition, at the end of the day you have a DVM and its what you learned that people will look at.

Just my 2 cents. Regardless, congrats on the amazing news and I wish you the best 🙂
 
You would be making the best decision possible if you chose the more financially responsible option over the others. Hands down. Unless there is some reason that you absolutely can't imagine yourself going to UGA...I mean, ultimately it is your decision, but I would go there. Rankings really don't mean anything, and in most cases you will be able to get the experiences you want for specialties through externships if you can't find those experiences at the school. If you can manage to get out of vet school with no debt (I'm assuming you have a way of paying that $80,000 out of pocket?) then that is seriously the best case scenario. Congratulations on all of your acceptances 🙂

haha yeah I do. I've got some really nice grandparents with excellent planning ahead skills who put away some money for grad school when I was born. It covers....just about the cost of Georgia's tuition.
 
If your heart is happy in UC davis, then go there. Regardless of where you go, you will graduate with minimal to zero debt. It will very easy to pay off the little bit of debt you accrue, so don't let that stop you. Do what makes you happy.
 
If your heart is happy in UC davis, then go there. Regardless of where you go, you will graduate with minimal to zero debt. It will very easy to pay off the little bit of debt you accrue, so don't let that stop you. Do what makes you happy.

No, she'd still have over $100,000 in debt due to OOS tuition costs at UC Davis, that is definitely quite a bit of debt. Not add much as some but enough that it should be a serious consideration.
 
If your heart is happy in UC davis, then go there. Regardless of where you go, you will graduate with minimal to zero debt. It will very easy to pay off the little bit of debt you accrue, so don't let that stop you. Do what makes you happy.
UC Davis current OOS tuition is $43,058 per year for 1st-3rd year students, $47,039 for 4th year. Take $80,000 off of that, that is still close to $100,000 in debt, certainly not "minimal" and definitely nothing to sneeze at if you have a chance to graduate with 0 debt.

Yes, being happy is important, but she didn't say that she couldn't be happy at UGA. And I can almost guarantee that not having to worry about paying off that debt is going to contribute significantly to her happiness in the future.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
UC Davis current OOS tuition is $43,058 per year for 1st-3rd year students, $47,039 for 4th year. Take $80,000 off of that, that is still close to $100,000 in debt, certainly not "minimal" and definitely nothing to sneeze at if you have a chance to graduate with 0 debt.

Yes, being happy is important, but she didn't say that she couldn't be happy at UGA. And I can almost guarantee that not having to worry about paying off that debt is going to contribute significantly to her happiness in the future.

And you haven't even added in cost of living or additional school supplies, that is just in straight tuition.
 
I mean Davis is cool in that it lets students become residents after the first year and then pay in state tuition for the following 3 years. So it's slightly more fiscally responsible.....just no where near as responsible as georgia
 
One thing that could help you decide is requesting a tour with UGA or see if they have an accepted students day where you could check it out.

Granted, it could be a bit expensive to either fly or drive down just for a day or a weekend, but you could really look at the school, potential housing, surrounding town, and then see if you feel like you would be happy to live/matriculate there.
 
One thing that could help you decide is requesting a tour with UGA or see if they have an accepted students day where you could check it out.

Granted, it could be a bit expensive to either fly or drive down just for a day or a weekend, but you could really look at the school, potential housing, surrounding town, and then see if you feel like you would be happy to live/matriculate there.

I'm already doing that 🙂 Looking at flights to Athens now ^_^
 
I mean Davis is cool in that it lets students become residents after the first year and then pay in state tuition for the following 3 years. So it's slightly more fiscally responsible.....just no where near as responsible as georgia

I forgot they allowed for that, so then you are looking at 60K plus cost of living and school supplies and anything else you might need while living there.. so maybe 100K total... really is up to you, but if I could get free vet school (or close to it) I would run through fire for it. But that is me, you might be different. 😉
 
If it helps, also coming from New Jersey, I picked my school keeping tuition/loans at the top of my priorities list. If you get any financial incentives, I'm sure you can't go wrong! You'll probably appreciate it in the long-term, when you have no/less debt to pay back. My philosophy as far as rankings go- I still feel like it is an honor to be in any veterinary school. Congrats on your acceptances! Rankings are so subjective, and probably based on many factors, not just academics. Either way, we all graduate with DVM as a title, regardless of school, and can make great opportunities for ourselves anywhere if we really work at it! 🙂

If you are interested in lab animals/research, perhaps look at the research going on at the schools too, to help make a decision? Im not sure about UGA, but Cornell and Davis have awesome research opportunities. Especially Davis- the graduate programs are massive there and there are so many departments! 🙂
 
Just saying, if I were ever to make a deal with a crossroads demon, it would probably be for free vet school. I'd lose my soul, but hey, it would have been crushed by the debt anyway...
This is brilliant. It should be printed and framed.
 
This is brilliant. It should be printed and framed.
tumblr_liu9d76alX1qablrx.gif


I'll be here all week month year forever
 
Just saying, if I were ever to make a deal with a crossroads demon, it would probably be for free vet school. I'd lose my soul, but hey, it would have been crushed by the debt anyway...
But then you'd only have 6 years of practice before the deal is up.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree to go where it's cheapest, and UGA is a great school! I know a vet who graduated from there and he always raves about how awesome Athens is. His recommendation is the main reason I looked into UGA and ended up applying there. I also agree with what others have said, visit Athens and UGA. If you absolutely hate it there and don't think you could live there for 4 years, then you have other options.
 
Hi guys. So Background:
I've been extremely fortunate this application cycle. I've been accepted to 6 different programs so far (I'm from New Jersey....so my application strategy was just to apply everywhere and pray). Right now, I'm most seriously considering Cornell, Davis, and UGA. I've wanted to go to Cornell since I was a little baby high-schooler. Getting in is a huge deal for me and an absolute dream come true. But when I interviewed at Davis I felt so at home and happy. And then UGA called me on Friday and told me that they were offering me In State Tuition which....if I'm reading the website correctly, means that I could go to vet school for under 80,000 total and graduate with no debt. So I was wondering, dear internet, if you could give me some insight.
What is the REAL difference between the #1 school in the country and the #9? Is the Cornell or Davis reputation so much more prestigious than Georgia's? Are the opportunities offered at each school so vastly different?
Basically - would I be making a huge mistake if I chose the financially responsible option over the academically "better" ones.
I could really use some guidance here.
EVEN MORE BACKGROUND: I'm interested in Lab Animal/ Research and Aquatics.
Call each of the other schools and tell them of the offer that you have on the table - ask them what they can offer in terms of financial, scholarship or tuition support. Remember that you are an educational consumer. The three schools that you are considering, of which I represent one, are all looking to fill their seats with the best and brightest. My honest opinion is that the three programs that you are considering are all very good - choose that one that makes the most financial sense, meets your educational needs and will leave you with the least amount of student loan debt. Congrats on your success and best of luck in school.
 
I live in Ga and am trying to get into UGA not only because I love living here and Athens is a great place to live but also because UGA is a great school. I have worked with several UGA grads and they always excel in their client communication as well as their knowledge.

Good luck with your choice and if you need a ride around let me know!