Cornell vs Einstein vs Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

live18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was deciding between Einstein and Downstate, but then Cornell entered the picture. I get that Cornell is the highest ranked school of all three, but would I be crazy to say no to Cornell if one of the others is in a more convenient location, is more affordable and/or has a more appealing student population? I wouldn't want to miss out on an opportunity that can influence my entire career.
Anyway, please talk to me about the pros/cons of these schools relative to each other (cost and location aside).
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Easily Cornell, primo location, top 20, prestige. What specifically is holding you to the other two schools?

Reactions: 1 user
Unless you have a full ride to Einstein, definitely go to Cornell

Members don't see this ad :)
Easily Cornell, primo location, top 20, prestige. What specifically is holding you to the other two schools?
The other schools are significantly less expensive, would not require a commute (for various reasons, including $$$$$, I would be unable to live on the UES), and seemed to have a friendlier/more relatable student body...basically lifestyle factors.

cornell, no question, its significantly higher in prestige than the other 2 schools. Prestige of residency program DOES matter especially if youre going to do academics and fellowship

Essentially, you're all saying you would choose a school with greater prestige over a school with significantly greater lifestyle...

Anyway, how much better is the Cornell rep over Einstein when it comes to residencies, fellowships, etc?

Essentially, you're all saying you would choose a school with greater prestige over a school with significantly greater lifestyle...

Anyway, how much better is the Cornell rep over Einstein when it comes to residencies, fellowships, etc?

Well given the fact that Cornell's match list is way better than Einsteins, it's MUCH better.

definitely go to Cornell, the location differences arent even different states so its pretty insignificant. You can live anywhere in manhattan and the commute will still be really easy on the subway. Classes change year to year so just because you like some people you met one year doesnt mean you'll like your class, and the prestige of the school will help you immensely in residency as well as fellowship.

definitely go to Cornell, the location differences arent even different states so its pretty insignificant. You can live anywhere in manhattan and the commute will still be really easy on the subway. Classes change year to year so just because you like some people you met one year doesnt mean you'll like your class, and the prestige of the school will help you immensely in residency as well as fellowship.

I agree with everything except for the commute. I'm from NYC and trust me you wouldn't want to be commuting everyday. It could potentially be an hour or so even within the city.

I agree with everything except for the commute. I'm from NYC and trust me you wouldn't want to be commuting everyday. It could potentially be an hour or so even within the city.
youre right i guess anyhwere was a stretch but im from NYC also and I think to the UES if youre close to the 4/5 it shouldnt be too bad- like doable from LES (30-40 minutes) which might be less expensive. although nowadays UES is actually the least expensive neighborhood of manhattan

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah fair enough. ues like spanish harlem to suny downstate takes about an hour. And to albert einstein it's also about an hour. Doable but imo not worth it.

So I was deciding between Einstein and Downstate, but then Cornell entered the picture. I get that Cornell is the highest ranked school of all three, but would I be crazy to say no to Cornell if one of the others is in a more convenient location, is more affordable and/or has a more appealing student population? I wouldn't want to miss out on an opportunity that can influence my entire career.
Anyway, please talk to me about the pros/cons of these schools relative to each other (cost and location aside).
Thanks!

I have to say that I understand why people are confused by YOUR "dilemma". In a perfect world Cornell would be a no-brainer. I think you should listen to what your gut tells you and take it seriously. I am applying as well and as part of the process I ask alumni about their experiences at different schools. A friend of mine is a Harvard MS grad and she, without hesitation, told me she regrets her decision to go to Harvard. The lifestyle, experiences, and student population did not meet her expectations. She also had issues during clinicals due to lack of support from the school. If she had to do it again she would probably go to Harvard because she is very competitive, but she does not recommend it to anyone... I know that might not make sense, but I think you might get it. Good luck and congratulations on havind this problem!

Reactions: 1 users
First, drop downstate and attended revisit for Einstein and Cornell and see where you’d be happier. Also look into the aids they give.
I think you know this but Einstein’s subsidized housing is really nice and cheap (something ridiculously low like 475 for 2 other roommates and 700 for studio) you can afford to live on campus. Monte is great if you’re interested in Pediatric specialities and Jacobi Trauma is great for EM.

Einstein match list by speciality: Match Results 2017 | M.D. Admissions | Albert Einstein College of Medicine

Cornell match list: Match Results 2017

I think they’re comparable but Cornell definitely has more Mass Gens. I don’t think the Cornell name carries THAT much more weight than Einstein given you have similar step scores and academic profile.

Last edited:
First, drop downstate and attended revisit for Einstein and Cornell and see where you’d be happier. Also look into the aids they give.
I think you know this but Einstein’s subsidized housing is really nice and cheap (something ridiculously low like 475 for 2 other roommates and 700 for studio) you can afford to live on campus. Monte is great if you’re interested in Pediatric specialities and Jacobi Trauma is great for EM.

Einstein match list by speciality: Match Results 2017 | M.D. Admissions | Albert Einstein College of Medicine

Cornell match list: Match Results 2017

I think they’re comparable but Cornell definitely has more Mass Gens. I don’t think the Cornell name carries THAT much more weight than Einstein given you have similar step scores and academic profile.
As a person who works at one of the top hospitals in NYC, Einstein is way less known than Cornell. Cornell is part of presbyterian, and as diverse as Einstein. People know Cornell School of med much more than Einstein. Just my opinion.

As a person who works at one of the top hospitals in NYC, Einstein is way less known than Cornell. Cornell is part of presbyterian, and as diverse as Einstein. People know Cornell School of med much more than Einstein. Just my opinion.
As someone who has also rotated through essentially all the hospital system in NYC (aside from Sloan Kettering), yes people will know NYP more. But people in the Bronx definitely knows Monte more, it’s also the healthcare system that has the largest cash flow in the northeast region, it’s also the system that Afforable care act is based on. As a med student, I’d say medical school prestige matters but will not save you if you have lower stats and profile. Einstein has people match to top residency programs every year also. Personally, I’d advised OP to pick the place where he will be happier, while looking at aid/living situation. If you’re gonna be miserable, the extra 2 cents of prestige is just not worth it.

What I’m trying to say is if you don’t work hard enough towards what you want, the extra +15 on ranking won’t on save you. If you work hard enough for what you want, Cornell name adds minimal advantage.

cornell doesn't release any decisions until march though right? wait to see if you get in first, otherwise debating this is kind of a waste of time

Reactions: 3 users
cornell doesn't release any decisions until march though right? wait to see if you get in first, otherwise debating this is kind of a waste of time
Exactly what I was thinking as I combed through this thread. I wish I was confident enough to be debating whether or not I should attend a school I have not even gotten into yet.

Once gentrification comes south to East Flatbush, Downstate’s going to be the UCLA of New York. Mark my words.

Reactions: 2 users
I have to say that I understand why people are confused by YOUR "dilemma". In a perfect world Cornell would be a no-brainer. I think you should listen to what your gut tells you and take it seriously. I am applying as well and as part of the process I ask alumni about their experiences at different schools. A friend of mine is a Harvard MS grad and she, without hesitation, told me she regrets her decision to go to Harvard. The lifestyle, experiences, and student population did not meet her expectations. She also had issues during clinicals due to lack of support from the school. If she had to do it again she would probably go to Harvard because she is very competitive, but she does not recommend it to anyone... I know that might not make sense, but I think you might get it. Good luck and congratulations on havind this problem!

even with the knowledge that lifestyle/experiences/student population would not meet her expectations she would still choose Harvard.....because.....I think you know
go to Cornell dude. Congrats!

even with the knowledge that lifestyle/experiences/student population would not meet her expectations she would still choose Harvard.....because.....I think you know
go to Cornell dude. Congrats!
Why is anyone congratulating someone for a school that has not yet released decisions?

Why is anyone congratulating someone for a school that has not yet released decisions?
Hah yeah I posted before I read the post that mentioned Cornell hasn't released their acceptances yet. So I guess I'm congratulating him for getting an II which is still an accomplishment :)
so I'll amend what I said: OP IF you get accepted to Cornell, go to Cornell dude. Congrats!

LOLZ I think you will get into Cornell you have the right amount of crazy for the top tier...

Any one able to find Cornell's 2017 match list? The post above linked to U Penn's match list.
I'm similarly torn between these schools.