Cornell vs NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

armin

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to get some opinions regarding these two programs. I have interviewed at both institutions and I am having a difficult time ranking them. Personally, I really like both programs. People say that Cornell is more prestigious and there are perks like subsidized housing. The residents at NYU seem to have more autonomy and my interview experience there was more personable. My future aspirations are probably in the field of plastic surgery. Cornell residents get amazing fellowships in plastics and NYU is not so bad itself. One of the advantages I see at NYU is doing research in their plastic surgery department and possibly having the chance to go there for fellowship after I finish my general surgery years. Both institutions have a great track record but Cornell seems to have any overall egde in fellowship placement. Any thoughts or comments are greatly apprecited.

Members don't see this ad.

if you are thinking of plastic surgery, NYU is one of the most prestigious programs out there. the chairman is dr. mccarthy, who is god of plastic surgery. he is to plastics what sabiston is to general.

from what i have heard from my plastic surgery friends, NYU is by far the most competitive one in NYC. you will not have any problems getting the fellowship you want out of NYU.

I have to agree with Bella. If you know you are interested in plastics, you can't beat NYU. Their plastics department/fellowship is one of the best around. Go with your gut feeling about where you should be.