Cornell, Yale, Harvard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYMed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been complete at those three school since early September. Granted, they are my dream schools and I'm not exactly their top applicant. But, if I haven't heard from them yet, is there still hope that they might invite to interview me? Should I call them and ask if they are still inviting people for interview (and should I mention that I have been complete a VERY long time ago?) Basically, I'm debating where or not to write a letter of intent to a school which is by far my top choice from the schools I have been interviewed at, but I would only do that if there is no more hope to hear from these three schools. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

SearsTower said:

No hope? Or no advice? Or no don't call them? Or no don't write the letter or intent? Can you please be more specific? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
NYMed said:
No hope? Or no advice? Or no don't call them? Or no don't write the letter or intent? Can you please be more specific? Thanks.

Don't mind SearsTower. S/he rarely makes much sense.

If I were you, I would wait until early- to mid-January before writing a letter of intent. By that time (judging from last year's schedule), Cornell should have sent out a huge batch of rejection letters. (You could call the office to confirm exactly when they plan to send out this batch.) Harvard will have finished sending out interview invitations by the third week of January, I believe (from their admissions catalog). So if you can afford to wait another 4-6 weeks, you'll probably be in a better position to write a letter of intent...

If you're really in a hurry (i.e. trying to beat a waitlist), then you could try emailing the schools, indicating that you're hoping to finish up your interviews in the next month or so and would like to know whether you've been approved for an interview...I don't think this would hurt you in any way.

NYMed said:
So I have been complete at those three school since early September. Granted, they are my dream schools and I'm not exactly their top applicant. But, if I haven't heard from them yet, is there still hope that they might invite to interview me? Should I call them and ask if they are still inviting people for interview (and should I mention that I have been complete a VERY long time ago?) Basically, I'm debating where or not to write a letter of intent to a school which is by far my top choice from the schools I have been interviewed at, but I would only do that if there is no more hope to hear from these three schools. Any advice?

I'm in the same boat with the Harvard. I had everything in before the first week of September and I haven't heard a word from them. However, I assume there's still plenty of time for these schools. Like argonana said, Harvard schedules interviews into Jan and does interviews into February.

It's kind of flustering for me as well because I received an acceptance from JHU, so I'd assume I'm at least competitive enough to receive an interview from Harvard. In any case, I've given up making sense of the application process.

Good luck!

Harvard is non-rolling right? They wait for all the apps and then invite? That might explain the delay.

i'm still really confused by this "letter of intent" deal. I thought it only applied if you were waitlisted at a school....i didn't think you could do it to pre-empt a waitlist or rejection decision..

EndSong said:
Harvard is non-rolling right? They wait for all the apps and then invite? That might explain the delay.

No, I'm pretty sure that while acceptance isn't rolling at Harvard, interviews are. Starting in either October or November, they let interview invites start trickling in, which suggests that they do it on a rolling basis. If they didn't, then different people wouldn't have heard about interviews at different times.

EndSong said:

they are non-rolling, but have already started interviewing . . basically non-rolling means that they wait until their interview season is finished before they grant acceptances/rejections/waitlist.. they started interviewing in october, but go at least until february (i think)

i'm in the same boat at all three schools.

NYMed, same thing for me re: Cornell. I called them today and they said they will be interviewing until mid/end of February, and to wait for an email. There's still hope.

sujeti12 said:
NYMed, same thing for me re: Cornell. I called them today and they said they will be interviewing until mid/end of February, and to wait for an email. There's still hope.

Thanks, Sujeti! Did you tell them when you were complete? Or just ask about interviews? Cause I know all three of these schools interview through like Feb, but I'm wondering if at this point the invites go to people who were complete much later, and the people who were complete early have already been passed over...

Well unfortunately I know I've probably already been passed over- I was complete early, on Aug 11! It bothers me that they claim to not have rolling admissions, but they start sending out "decisions" in Dec. and interview until Feb. I'm guessing they'll take a second look at certain applicants who weren't good enough for an interview at first glance but are still possibilities after they see how many people accept acceptances later this month or in January. Who knows. I also don't think that there would be too many really good applicants who would apply so late to Cornell, so I don't think that the issue of "only people who are complete later are getting interview invites now" has sufficient validity to be a reason why I haven't gotten an interview. I think they're just busy working on the batch of people who were automatic interviewees and I have to wait because for some reason my app didn't make that first cut.

sujeti12 said:
Well unfortunately I know I've probably already been passed over- I was complete early, on Aug 11! It bothers me that they claim to not have rolling admissions, but they start sending out "decisions" in Dec. and interview until Feb. I'm guessing they'll take a second look at certain applicants who weren't good enough for an interview at first glance but are still possibilities after they see how many people accept acceptances later this month or in January. Who knows. I also don't think that there would be too many really good applicants who would apply so late to Cornell, so I don't think that the issue of "only people who are complete later are getting interview invites now" has sufficient validity to be a reason why I haven't gotten an interview. I think they're just busy working on the batch of people who were automatic interviewees and I have to wait because for some reason my app didn't make that first cut.
Keep your chin up and hope for the best. I was complete in mid-August and just got an interview invite from Cornell today!

Labslave said:
Keep your chin up and hope for the best. I was complete in mid-August and just got an interview invite from Cornell today!

Congrats!!! That does give me hope :)