cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

efab

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
can someone post the approximate timeline for cornell's decision making last year. their site states they alert people in january. did i read incorrectly?

Members don't see this ad.

Last year everybody found out by e-mail January 7th, and the year before that, it looks like the dean called the people who got in around January 5th.

Any little birdies out there who might have some insight as to what day Cornell is sending notifications?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any little birdies out there who might have some insight as to what day Cornell is sending notifications?

Based on last year, I've been anticipating we'll be getting emails on January 5th . . .and I've been anticipating that since I turned in the application. I'm having problems concentrating on the Biochem class I'm finishing up. Good luck to us!

That early? What makes you think January 5?

I was also thinking January 5, because they sent decisions on the first Monday in January last year.

I was also thinking January 5, because they sent decisions on the first Monday in January last year.

and the Friday before the previous year.

However, Cornell did extend the deadline for apps this year to Nov. 1
Hopefully that doesn't delay their decision making/notifications.

Now I am really getting jittery! It is completely insane because Cornell would never accept me in a thousand years (gpa not good, don't have enough breadth of animal experience..they basically told me that last year after I was rejected) but Cornell has always been my dream school and so I am holding out one tiny sliver of hope that maybe, just maybe, my application will mistakenly get tossed into the "accepted" pile.

Didn't they extend last year, too? I could be wrong, but I feel like they went to Oct. 20 or so last year.

jennifer mailey just sent out an email to students telling us the first admitted students weekend is the 30th, so i guess you guys will find out soon...

jennifer mailey just sent out an email to students telling us the first admitted students weekend is the 30th, so i guess you guys will find out soon...

Thanks for letting us know. I'm going to go throw up now.

I think I prefer the old-style, snail-mail, thick-or-thin envelope process.

Members don't see this ad :)
i did not get that email - 30 of december or january?

i did not get that email - 30 of december or january?

That is for current students - I guess they need to know when the newbies will be descending on them?

Thanks for letting us know. I'm going to go throw up now.

I think I prefer the old-style, snail-mail, thick-or-thin envelope process.

Hahaha that's funny, not you actually throwing up but just because I feel the same way. :p

Anyone else feverishly checking their email today?
I have the day off of work, so there's nothing stopping me!!! :p

I certainly have. Do you think that if no-one has heard word yet, today may not be the day? I peeked at last years acceptance thread, and there were already several acceptances by this hour. Sigh....

I certainly have. Do you think that if no-one has heard word yet, today may not be the day? I peeked at last years acceptance thread, and there were already several acceptances by this hour. Sigh....

I was just thinking the same thing...I think I have a headache from checking email so much.

I think with the timing of New Years right before a weekend, the offices have been closed until today and we won't hear for a couple days. Although I hope I'm wrong!
*goes to check email again*:laugh:

I think with the timing of New Years right before a weekend, the offices have been closed until today and we won't hear for a couple days. Although I hope I'm wrong!
*goes to check email again*:laugh:

:: sigh ::

I think you're right. I just checked the calendar for Jan 06 and 07 (Yes. obsessive, I know :p) and it seems like they had a few business days inbetween the holiday and notifications. This year, the 1st happened to land on a thursday.

I swear, this is akin to the feeling I get right before a big exam is handed back. I can go an entire week or more after the test without even thinking about it, but about 5 min before the professor hands it back I suddenly feel like a thousand butterflies are choreographing a trapeze act in my stomach!! :laugh:

Okay. I'm going to stop obsessively checking email now. I'm going to get myself psyched up for another arbitrarily chosen day--Wednesday. But I will check email one more time first just to make sure . . .:)

I'm going to get myself psyched up for another arbitrarily chosen day--Wednesday.

haha - that's exactly what I'm doing!

But I really wish that Cornell did interviews. I left my Ohio interview feeling so excited about the school and people, but I didn't get that from just visiting Cornell. At the Cornell presentation we didn't really get to talk to anyone except the tourguides, who seemed pretty unenthusiastic - but maybe the whole vibe would have been different in an interview situation. After a year of thinking Cornell was my first choice, I feel weirdly ambivalent about it now... but actually being accepted might change that. I think my subconscious is trying to convince me I don't want to go there in case of rejection :laugh:

fyi i was really unenthusiastic about cornell even after i went to the admitted students day... it pretty much stayed that way until i got here and i really couldn't be happier. the professors are amazing, the students are fun, we get free candy every day (well, if you visit steve)... it's great...

i would strongly urge anyone considering cornell to go to the admitted students day and see how things go... as i said, i was still lukewarm even after the fact, but i'm happy with my decision and would be happy to talk to anyone in a similar situation.

i spoke to someone at 607-235-3700 (student services?)

we should be notified by email in a few weeks.

That can't be right if the first admitted student day is January 30th.

Really??!! That is so against their "pattern" of notification. Anybody else want to call? I am at work so I can't :cool:. Just seems odd.

that's exactly what I needed to hear so I could stop checking my email for the day. Now I can focus on getting excited about the "lost" season premier! anyone else super excited?

I was all mentally prepared to receive my Cornell rejection this week...a couple more weeks is stressful.

Do you think Cornell will over-accept this year due to the situation last year?

And finally, a good way I have found to destress is to read the Pre-Allopathic Forums! They make all of us look practically relaxed!

Last year, I guess they didn't get enough acceptances because they went through the whole wait list offering admission, and then even had to go to rejected folks offering admission - as late as 2 weeks before the semester started!

I don't think so. I am playing receptionist at the hospital today so I can play online but can't make phone calls. Anyone out there up to it?

Ok, I had a break so I called. The word is "from the middle to the end of this month." :bang:

Ok, I had a break so I called. The word is "from the middle to the end of this month." :bang:

:eek: boy I was loving that application deadline extension in October. Now we're suffering for it!

I still am fairly positive it'll be this week or next. I work at Cornell's vet school and I just have a feeling.

But...but I was just able to wean myself off of looking at my email every two minutes! :p

Are you a student at Cornell? If so, was it an early acceptance because you work at the school? More importantly, any more information you can find out would be sooo much appreciated! Thanks for whatcha got so far!:)

When I spoke with someone at length this morning about applying to the DVM/PhD dual degree program next cycle, she told me to contact Jennifer Mailey as well, but that I should probably wait until next week or so because they were "in admissions" this week, so take that as you will.

Maybe next week...?

Can we all come to an agreement here that when one of us actually gets the email, we'll start a new thread titled "Cornell decisions are in" or something similar instead of posting to this thread? Every time I see a new post on this damn thread my heart skips a beat and it's always for no reason. Tell the truth--you all know exactly what I mean. ;)

I'm crossing my fingers for Monday and giving up on today.

Right.

I agree - and make sure the first person to receive the email and log on creates that thread before posting on the "Acceptances" thread. Every time that one has a new post too, my stomach flip-flops.:D

I agree! And Im so glad im not the only one who feels that way!

I agree - and make sure the first person to receive the email and log on creates that thread before posting on the "Acceptances" thread. Every time that one has a new post too, my stomach flip-flops.:D

Same here. I think I can relax a bit now. :)

Can you believe this??!! I have Comcast cable and internet service. Well, Friday afternoon, Verizon was doing some work in my neighbors' backyard and inadvertantly CUT OFF MY ACCESS!!! Currently, I have NO internet (or cable, but who really cares about that). Anyway, they are coming today to try and fix it but I am so stressed that they won't be able to (who the heck knows what Verizon did?!) Aargh!!!!! +pissed+

Can you believe this??!! I have Comcast cable and internet service. Well, Friday afternoon, Verizon was doing some work in my neighbors' backyard and inadvertantly CUT OFF MY ACCESS!!! Currently, I have NO internet (or cable, but who really cares about that). Anyway, they are coming today to try and fix it but I am so stressed that they won't be able to (who the heck knows what Verizon did?!) Aargh!!!!! +pissed+

Question 1: How are you posting this? Did you bang on a friend's door in the wee hours and say you desperately needed to post to a forum? :)
Question 2: You work during the week and have internet access at work, right?

If you are going to be without internet and want to get a call on your cell when the emails from Cornell come in, PM me.

I filled in for someone at work this AM. In fact, I am leaving in a few and Comcast promises they will be at my place this evening to fix me. Thank goodness! I swear, with this whole application process, if it's not one thing, it's another!!

Thank you so much, JustCats, that is so thoughtful! :) Hopefully, all will be resolved.

I think I just got the Cornell kiss-off...

I emailed Jennifer last night for a quick update on my app regarding an activity I wanted to add (figuring that if I got on the wait list, it would be pertinent.) Anyway, she wrote back today and here is her email to me:

Thanks for the update- and how exciting! Good luck and enjoy the experience!
Happy New Year~
Jennifer

I take this as "good luck in your future" and "bye! Have a great 2009!" PLEASE BE HONEST - isn't that what it sounds like? I feel like if I was accepted, it would be less "buh-bye." I am so upset. Again, PLEASE BE HONEST! Thanks!

It sounds like the "and how exciting! Good luck and enjoy the experience" is in regards to whatever activity you're adding