cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I take this as "good luck in your future" and "bye! Have a great 2009!" PLEASE BE HONEST - isn't that what it sounds like? I feel like if I was accepted, it would be less "buh-bye." I am so upset. Again, PLEASE BE HONEST! Thanks!

If you were on an adcom and received an email update from a student, would you:
1. shoot a quick reply, print, and add to the file
2. print, peruse the file, figure out if the student is getting in or not, and type up a complicated email to stress them out even more?

I don't think you can read much into this...:rolleyes:
*hands over some hot cocoa, your favorite book, your favorite CD, and a fireplace (don't ask how) for relaxation purposes*

Man, they really make us crazy, don't they?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I honestly think you're over reacting. I mean I don't KNOW for sure, but just reading what you wrote does not immediately give me the "see ya later, buh bye" kind of feeling you're getting. It could just be "that sounds like a good experience, have fun, and good luck (cause we know you're freaking out right now but you'll be hearing from us shortly)"

I dunno, I think you're over analyzing :)

Ah , . . I wouldnt read too much into it. My first impression is that it sounds like she is getting alot of the same inquiries and this is just a generic response instead of having to type out something specific for each individual applicant that is contacting them. I have alot of respect for these adcoms . . I don't know how they handle these 5-6 months of having to deal with us :p !!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, I am embarrassed now...waaaaay too much thinking and trying to read into things on my part!:smack:

And, yes, they are pretty much pushing me towards insanity!!

GAH!!! . . .STUPID DOUBLE POST!! oopsy!

Ok, I am embarrassed now...waaaaay too much thinking and trying to read into things on my part!:smack:

That's why I love SDN - no one's going to look at you funny for overthinking this, because we all do it in regards to our own applications :)

I am right there with ya!! NO worries, I think we are all at that point:)!!

I'm going to the first info session. Looking forward to meeting some new classmates!

I don't remember now why I decided to go to the first one but I wish I would have chosen the second one. It seems like Fleabear and I will be the only SND'ers there.

The other member of Cornell Team Alternate, KittyRex, is also going to the second one so she'll see you there. She is interviewing at Tufts the following week.

Sambone and Rara Avis, I need you to find out-of-staters when you're there and convince them to choose a different school. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
The other member of Cornell Team Alternate, KittyRex, is also going to the second one so she'll see you there. She is interviewing at Tufts the following week.

Yep! I'll be there for the second session... I decided to stick it out with Cornell (at least until I hear back from UC Davis). What's a plane ticket in the big scheme of things? I just hope I'm not the only alternate there! :oops:

Sambone, it looks like we'll meet again!

What's everyone wearing and where's everyone staying? :D

hey guys - there's a significant amount of alternates that show up at each session and i KNOW it looks good for you guys.

as for where to stay, there are a few hotels, but there's also an option to stay with students, which is *free* and should be lots of fun. if you are staying at a hotel and want to know how close it is, feel free to PM me.

also, right now it's 9 degrees (but supposedly it's going to get to the 20s) so pack appropriately!

Sambone, it looks like we'll meet again!

KittyRex-Let's actually meet this time haha! I'll be a little more relaxed, thank god. I'm glad to hear that you're flying out, but I really think you'll get into Davis based on your success so far :D, and something tells me that the cold Cornell winters wouldn't stand a chance against Davis for a Hawaii/Cali girl!

KittyRex-Let's actually meet this time haha! I'll be a little more relaxed, thank god. I'm glad to hear that you're flying out, but I really think you'll get into Davis based on your success so far :D, and something tells me that the cold Cornell winters wouldn't stand a chance against Davis for a Hawaii/Cali girl!

I don't know which part of California KittyRex is in, but the day decisions came out, it was 23 degrees in Ithaca and 80 degrees where I'm at. :scared:

hey guys - there's a significant amount of alternates that show up at each session and i KNOW it looks good for you guys.

as for where to stay, there are a few hotels, but there's also an option to stay with students, which is *free* and should be lots of fun. if you are staying at a hotel and want to know how close it is, feel free to PM me.

also, right now it's 9 degrees (but supposedly it's going to get to the 20s) so pack appropriately!

Thanks for the encouragement Banditalfi!

Thanks for the vote of confidence... I hope you're right! :D
Can't wait to actually meet you this time.:laugh:

I don't know which part of California KittyRex is in, but the day decisions came out, it was 23 degrees in Ithaca and 80 degrees where I'm at. :scared:

80 degrees in January!!!

*opens up new search window to look for rotating internships in So.Cal.*

It was about 40 degrees here in North Cal, which I admit is only frigid by my (very spoiled) standards. :p

I'm not exactly sure what the dress code is - nice but not overly formal, I hope (I've had plenty of that with the interview attire :rolleyes:). Regardless, I will definitely be bringing the warmest clothing possible!
And I chose the stay-with-a-student option (I think it will give me a better feel for the campus) so I won't need a hotel, but my mother is coming, too, so I'll probably still have to look into something. The ones suggested in the email seem rather expensive, though.
Looking forward to meeting everyone!

FYI - attire is pretty casual... cords/khakis and a polo/solid colored shirt would be appropriate. Some people wear jeans - the students will DEFINITELY be wearing jeans (unless we have another crazy theme day... someone's petitioning for fleece day...).

Many people elect to stay at the Best Western in East Hill Plaza... I don't know how expensive those rooms are.

Also, I don't know a single vet student that lives on campus, FYI. We all live off campus (due in large parts to the pets and that many of us elect to stick around for the whole year).

I could go on and on, but you'll hear it all during the info session, so have fun and relax :)

So I'm another member of the Team Alternate. I was just wondering if NOT attending the info session will influence their decision, in case seats do become available? I know for one's own benefit, it is better to attend the session. But I'm just curious, as how many of you are on the alternate list, but will not attend the info session. Thanks~

Hi! I'll be at the info session this weekend (the first one) as will pretty much everyone else I know that's an undergraduate at Cornell. Does anyone know what time they plan on keeping us until on Friday and Saturday?

I'm excited to meet everyone!

I'll be attending the first info session as well! I'm very excited to see the school, Ithaca, snow!, etc. Is it true there is a cow with a window inserted in its side so students can see its gastrointestinal tract?

Also, for undergrads there or current students: I'm deciding between whats more appropriate - my waterproof, comfortable, nice black boots or my ugg-type waterproof snow boots. Will we be trekking around outside much on the tour and whatnot?

The vet school and hospital are all connected so no wandering around in the snow for that. If you go on the general campus tour you are in a bus and we only got out to look at the gorge.

Have fun!

you'll be mostly indoors and there might be some snow on the ground, but the pathways should be clear... i'd wear whichever shoes are more comfortable :)

Hi! I'll be at the info session this weekend (the first one) as will pretty much everyone else I know that's an undergraduate at Cornell. Does anyone know what time they plan on keeping us until on Friday and Saturday?

I'm excited to meet everyone!

I was told that Friday's program will last all day and will consist of info sessions, mock tutor groups, and a dinner (optional). It should go until around 6 or 6:30.

On Saturday morning, there will be a financial aid presentation followed by tours. It will last until around 12:30 or 1:00.

So for all those people in the know with Cornell, do they have any expansion plans in their future? Community medicine oriented maybe? Any rumors?

I've heard some rumors...

Hey everyone, I am going to the open house next weekend. Could someone that went this weekend please give an approximate time frame of the weekend's schedule? Other than being there around 10 on friday and being done at 12 on saturday I have no idea what to expect. Thanks!

I was at the admitted students this past weekend. Registration was Friday morning, 10:00-10:30 AM. There were speakers discussing the college, its curriculum, brief introductions from some different professors, a light ice-breaker activity to break up the talking, and then lunch at 12. After lunch, there are a couple more intros from different professors, a mock tutor session to mimic the case-based learning, a panel discussion from present students, and then taking a look at some facilities/demonstrations. There was time for informal discussion with present students afterwards, and then dinner at 6PM. Saturday morning consisted of breakfast at 8 am, a financial aid presentation, and tours.

I ended up wearing nice jeans with a nice jacket/sweater, but all of the alternate students and a lot of other people were more professionally dressed than I was. It was pretty casual and I figured I'd be as comfortable as possible and was happy with my choice. You end up sitting most of the day, but definitely wear comfortable shoes on saturday for the tour. Guests stayed the whole time. The way someone put the weekend was this: Cornell didn't interview us, but this is our time to interview Cornell. Definitely prepare yourself for a long day on friday.

so i just went to the information session and really loved cornell. i was not expecting to at all, but was pleasantly surprised. however, i'm an alternate :( does anyone know the likelihood that maybe they'll pull some alternates off the waitlist before april 15?? i don't like the idea of having only a few days to decide... (assuming i get in somewhere else.. and that's no guarantee!)

Thanks boringusername! That really helps me plan out my weekend and now I can give the people I am staying with an approximate time frame of when I will be busy.

so i just went to the information session and really loved cornell. i was not expecting to at all, but was pleasantly surprised. however, i'm an alternate :( does anyone know the likelihood that maybe they'll pull some alternates off the waitlist before april 15?? i don't like the idea of having only a few days to decide... (assuming i get in somewhere else.. and that's no guarantee!)

I was wondering about something similar...

What do people do when they are accepted by other schools and waitlisted by their first choice? Do they accept another school's offer and put down a deposit by the April 15th deadline then withdraw from that school if they get an offer from their first choice post-April 15?
This seems pretty unethical (one would basically be breaking a contract with a school and possibly jepordizing someone else's chances there by making a potentially false committment)
On the other hand, it seems like a pretty big leap to not accept any offer and just take your chances on being accepted off the waitlist at your first choice...

I haven't even attended Cornell's info session and I don't anticipate this being my senario yet it was something I was wondering about. There has got to be some kind of unspoken waitlist etiquette or something...

I was wondering about something similar...

What do people do when they are accepted by other schools and waitlisted by their first choice? Do they accept another school's offer and put down a deposit by the April 15th deadline then withdraw from that school if they get an offer from their first choice post-April 15?
This seems pretty unethical (one would basically be breaking a contract with a school and possibly jepordizing someone else's chances there by making a potentially false committment)
On the other hand, it seems like a pretty big leap to not accept any offer and just take your chances on being accepted off the waitlist at your first choice....

I don't think it's unethical - it probably happens all the time. That's why they make you pay that big deposit - even if you change your mind they got a several hundred out of you!

On the other hand, it seems like a pretty big leap to not accept any offer and just take your chances on being accepted off the waitlist at your first choice...

You're not jeopardizing anyone else's chances, because they will just pull someone else off the waitlist. People do this after April 15 all the time, it's not unethical at all. You'll lose your deposit, though!

I don't anticipate this being my senario

It looks like it has become my senario (atleast pre-hearing back from Davis) because I LOVED the school :rolleyes:

Any OOS people with full offers totally dissapointed after the info session and ready to decline their offer already??? :p

does anyone know how alternates are ranked? we can't call and find out our rank, right?

Nope. I asked that already. They say that it's always changing (I'm not sure why) so they don't tell you your ranking. :(

does anyone know how alternates are ranked? we can't call and find out our rank, right?