Cornell's acceptance procedures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.lilee

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard that Cornell accepts 1/3 of its class from its undergrad school- anyone know if this is true?

I know they accept NY residents as almost half of their class, and almost 20% URM, so does that mean that a white girl from PA has virtually no chance?

Members don't see this ad.

i'm a white boy from britain and i got in. so yes you have a chance. I suspect the NY bias may in part be due to who *wants* to go there. Not so many people from other places necessarily want to move to NY.

OK, as an accepted student they also gave us a list of accepted students with their state of residence and their undergrad institution.

Out of 166 initially accepted students

only 13 were from Cornell undergrad
and 49 were from NY

so, much less than the statistics you have been told before. Hope that reassures you it's worth applying ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Where can I get a peep at that list? How many Wisconsinites on there. It does take some balls to make the move to NYC for people not from the NE, so that might be the reason its skewed a little.

Originally posted by snoopdizzle
How many Wisconsinites on there

I only see 1 but I don't believe that is you, so that then makes 2 at least....

Usually, there is no way to know the state of residency of students accepted to any particular medical school, especially private medical schools. If you were able to look at a list of students actually ENROLLED, or were given a state by state breakdown of students actually enrolled, you should never conclude that it reflects data on the medical school's geographic preferences. What such lists more often reflect are the geographic preferences of ACCEPTED AND ENROLLED students who had choices of where to attend. Many students, by no means all, given the choice, tend to prefer schools in their own region.

Even if you look carefully in the MSAR at the tables on the right bottom of each 2 page spread for each medical school--INFORMATION ON THE ------- CLASS FIRST YEAR CLASS--, you will notice that the last line, NEW ENTRANTS, refers only to NEW ENTRANTS, not applicants accepted.

Moreover, account must also be taken of the population size of the state when looking at in-state and out-of state figures. Johns Hopkins, a private medical school in Maryland, a small state, in 2000-2001 had only 417 Maryland residents apply, while 6,108 non-residents applied. Ten times as many non-residents were interviewed. That year's class of 118 had only 7 Maryland residents. Nothing can be concluded about Hopkins' preferences.

Addendum re Cornell. Cornell has a small class of 101. That class is filled each year with about 10-15 MD/PhD students. Two to four places are usually filled from a linked post-bac program with Hunter College in NYC. One or two may be accepted ED. That leaves only about 80 places for regular applicants.

Cornell also has certain other preferences. Two-year college science courses are not desirable; AP is OK, but advanced science courses are then preferable; summer courses, preferably not more than one and that at the home institutution are OK; they look at the credit load and presumed difficulty of courses; they look for a liberal arts/science balance. All about what one might expect for an Ivy League medical school with a small class.

as a white girl from PA who was accepted early in December, you definitely have a shot!