CorpsmanUP...question about switch to ER and getting out of NHSC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorALH

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Corpsman,

I tried to send you a personal message, but your mailbox is full. I have a NHSC scholarship, but am contemplating a last-minute switch to emergency medicine. I would love to hear details about how you got out of your NHSC commitment and how much money and interest you had to repay. I'd appreciate any info ASAP.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

DoctorALH said:
Corpsman,

I tried to send you a personal message, but your mailbox is full. I have a NHSC scholarship, but am contemplating a last-minute switch to emergency medicine. I would love to hear details about how you got out of your NHSC commitment and how much money and interest you had to repay. I'd appreciate any info ASAP.

Thanks!

Well, since you asked, I guess I can share this horrible experience with you and anyone else willing to listen and learn. The bottom line is that the NHSC is very much like the military in its recruiting. Thet used to let you do emergency medicine as a career, but they changed it somewhat recently. They had told me that I could do it anyway likely, but I was a bit confused as a 2nd year and did not realize that they meant I could do it as an FP. It all boiled down to some personal issues with my wife, and I really wanted to do EM. My wife has type I and was selected to go on an NIH study to get an inselt cell transplant. For her to do this, I felt it would be better for us to be able to live in one place for a long time instead of having to move to satisfy the NHSC commitment. So when they would not let me do EM, I decided it was time to bail. I had thought about doing rural FM where I could work the ED, and do OB as well. But I knew I would have no life, so it was not something I was willing to do. EM was where my heart was, and it would give me the best schedule in the future to help my wife. She probably will not have the procedure until 2008 or 2009 when they get the success rate above 80%, and by then my career will be really starting. But now after boring you, and to shorten a long story, I'll just say that I had to pay some serious fines and penalties in order to get out of my scholarship, but it was worth it to have the life I want in EM and the time to spend with my family in the future. It looked last month like I would be able to get out of it by just paying them back the principle and interest, but I ended up having to pay significantly more than that. I had some resources that most people would not have access to so unless you have a backup plan, you need to seriously think it through. They will let you finance it out over many years, but the interest will tick at 11% per year!!!! And after the penalties, the payments would end up in the hundreds of thousands if not a million dollars. I'm sorry I can't give you any better news my friend, but you are welcome to call me if you have any questions. I'll tell you all I know. God bless and good luck. Check your PM