Corpus Christi or University of Alabama?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mat the coolcat

jus tryn'a make it
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to pick between Corpus Christi ultrasound and University of Alabama EM for an away rotation (offers on both).

Any insight/advice? Like which SLOE is better? Which I will learn more from? Is doing an US rotation even worth it as a med student?

I have heard great things about both programs, and don't think I can go wrong either way...which is a good problem to have haha.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Can you even get a SLOE from an ultrasound rotation?

Yeah you can. They're typically not weighted as heavily though, they're an EM "sub-set" SLOE. The advice given to me by my EM advisor from my school and another was that they are good to have as a 3rd SLOE if you need it, but not your first two.

I'm not so worried about the number of SLOE's I'll be able to get, just the quality/weight of them based off the institution.

Can you even get a SLOE from an ultrasound rotation?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My friends have rotated at both places for EM (I mean, one friend rotated at each, not both) and have great, glowing things to say. I wouldn't hesitate to tell you to do an EM away at either. The tiebreaker here is that an ultrasound rotation is unlikely to be nearly as enjoyable and fulfilling as an EM rotation, AND the SLOE won't mean as much, AND when it comes time to rank you, you want residents to advocate for you based on how well you functioned in the ED. Which is different from how well you functioned as an ultrasounding tourist in the ED.

My vote: UAB EM! You'll have a great time.

Reactions: 1 users
My friends have rotated at both places for EM (I mean, one friend rotated at each, not both) and have great, glowing things to say. I wouldn't hesitate to tell you to do an EM away at either. The tiebreaker here is that an ultrasound rotation is unlikely to be nearly as enjoyable and fulfilling as an EM rotation, AND the SLOE won't mean as much, AND when it comes time to rank you, you want residents to advocate for you based on how well you functioned in the ED. Which is different from how well you functioned as an ultrasounding tourist in the ED.

My vote: UAB EM! You'll have a great time.
Hey thanks for your response! That's really helpful.

Are ultrasound rotations boring? I kinda wanted to do one simply for some variety; just did an EM rotation, and then scheduling 3 more in a row just seemed like a lot...but what do I know haha.

Reactions: 1 user
Is this for a prime rotation month (July through October)? How many other audition rotations are you doing?

You do NOT need 3+ auditions in a row. 2 is plenty. I was burned out by my third audition and wish I hadn't done it.

Ultrasound would be a nice change of pace. You'll learn some useful stuff and get face time at that particular program. Plus Corpus is cool (in a low key way) and you can hang out on the beach and fish. The residents are very chill.

Hey thanks for your response! That's really helpful.

Are ultrasound rotations boring? I kinda wanted to do one simply for some variety; just did an EM rotation, and then scheduling 3 more in a row just seemed like a lot...but what do I know haha.
Ultrasound rotations can differ from institution to institution. Some will be entirely within the ED, others will have you go to other departments or work with ultrasonographers in the radiology department. I can only speak for myself, but my EM rotations were much more interesting than my ultrasound rotation, which was not based entirely in the ED. Even on ED US days, there wasn't enough pathology for me to stay busy for an entire shift, and imaging non-sick people with known normal anatomy gets old after a while (even if it is a good learning experience). Your mileage may vary, and I want to point out that this wasn't an Away.

That being said, if you have a SLOE from home, and you're doing 2 other Aways, you don't really need to do a third Away at all... If you're really invested in using that month to get your foot in the door, you'll get more bang for your buck out of UAB's EM Away. Rather than being burnt out on being "always on top of your game," I think your skills will have improved with repeated exposure to EM patients and you'll be able to really shine on shift. But if you're worried about your ability to sustain a stellar performance, the ultrasound rotation is likely easier (but still lower yield).

Is this for a prime rotation month (July through October)? How many other audition rotations are you doing?

You do NOT need 3+ auditions in a row. 2 is plenty. I was burned out by my third audition and wish I hadn't done it.

Ultrasound would be a nice change of pace. You'll learn some useful stuff and get face time at that particular program. Plus Corpus is cool (in a low key way) and you can hang out on the beach and fish. The residents are very chill.

It is indeed a prime-month rotation.

Yeah haha I've been jumping back and forth about if I wanna cancel my last one for that exact reason. I'm aware I don't need it, it's more just as a chance to evaluate a program and explore another part of the country...EM rotations are great for that with the binge work. Plus the area I live at for rotations SUCKS.

I did an EM-US rotation at York Hospital and absolutely loved it. I thought it was going to be tedious but was a killer rotation.

I didn’t ask for a SLOE because it was ultrasound, but I learned a lot and had a blast.

I did an EM-US rotation at York Hospital and absolutely loved it. I thought it was going to be tedious but was a killer rotation.

I didn’t ask for a SLOE because it was ultrasound, but I learned a lot and had a blast.
Nice! I actually applied for that rotation as well haha. Sidenote, they have an AWESOME Wilderness conference there every fall put on by one of their ER docs. Legitimately most fun I had all 2nd year. Worth it for anyone who remotely likes the outdoors.

Last edited: