Correct/Best Way to tell schools you wont attend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiaFLSurf

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So now that the top choice schools are rolling in acceptances, what is the best way to tell other schools you were accepted at earlier that you will not be attending?

Writing, Phone Call, email (I assume this is the worst way).

Also, would you all recommend waiting until the financial aid packages come back before doing this? Im thinking about just holding onto all of them until May so I can see the $ I get from each school, but I also would like to help those on the waitlist of schools I think I may not go to.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

personally, i've just been rejecting them via email
like, i dont care what they think about me anymore, u know
it goes a little something like this:

"I would like to withdraw my application from _______ School of Medicine. I thank you for the opportunity but I have been accepted to my top choice. Please be aware that this decision in no way reflects on your ability to educate medical students. I wish you the best of luck in your future educational goals.
Sincerely,
MeLiMi"

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear Committee on Admissions.

I take great pleasure in your interest in me as a Medical Student. To give each Medical School the attention it deserves I thoroughly review each acceptance letter taking into account the credentials and accomplishments of the respective school. To ensure that all schools are treated fairly, the review process can take sometime. I appreciate your patients and I assure you as soon as a decision is reached you will be notified immediately.

John Q. Applicant

I think this is a nice way to stick it to a school. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Don't stick anything to anyone. They don't care about you or any other applicant. They will fill their class regardless of your acceptance of the offer. So, just send an e-mail and don't worry about it. Trust me, they're not worring about you.

I would just send a short letter. It takes <5 minutes.

for those that have withdrawn, did you mention anything about your deposit, or is it just a given that the school will automatically send it back?

thanks