Correcting statement made during interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fluffywas

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I made a statement related to an obscure medical topic during a recent interview that was unintentionally inaccurate, after which the interviewer indicated that she would need to do follow up research on the topic. I didn't realize I was wrong until after the interview. What is the best way to approach this - should I send a follow up email with the correct information?

Thanks!

EDIT:

To provide more context:

[discussing medical topic related to my research]

Interviewer: Doesn't X do Y?

Me: No, X does not do Y.

Interviewer: Oh, I'll have to look into that...

[afterwards, I remember that X does do Y, but it is usually not significant. However, there are notable exceptions where it is significant]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Only if you want to get rejected.

Let it go.

To provide more context:

[afterwards, I remember that X does do Y, but it is usually not significant. However, there are notable exceptions where it is significant]

Doesn't it make sense for me to clear this up? Isn't it good to show initiative, correct mistakes? On the other hand, it could come off as too intrusive and unwarranted for a point that is so minor.

You seem pretty adamant that its a bad idea, which I can sort of see, but I would be interested in hearing why.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You can send a thank you card and write a little PS part at the bottom lightheartedly saying like oh yeah and X does do Y!

To provide more context:

Doesn't it make sense for me to clear this up? Isn't it good to show initiative, correct mistakes? On the other hand, it could come off as too intrusive and unwarranted for a point that is so minor.

You seem pretty adamant that its a bad idea, which I can sort of see, but I would be interested in hearing why.
1. It was dumb to argue with an interviewer about a medical mechanism of action

2. Let it go.

Reactions: 2 users
You can send a thank you card and write a little PS part at the bottom lightheartedly saying like oh yeah and X does do Y!
Also in the future don’t talk about a specific answer unless you know what you’re talking about

Reactions: 5 users
1. It was dumb to argue with an interviewer about a medical mechanism of action

2. Let it go.

I don't think its good to agree with information that you know is wrong, and in the context it wasn't inappropriate per se, other than the fact my answer should have been much more nuanced

I don't think its good to agree with information that you know is wrong, and in the context it wasn't inappropriate per se, other than the fact my answer should have been much more nuanced
Nope.

If you were knowledgeable enough on the topic to be arguing with an interviewer you wouldn’t have a thread about being wrong when arguing with an interviewer

You screwed up. It happens. But don’t pretend it didn’t happen

Reactions: 4 users
Nope.

If you were knowledgeable enough on the topic to be arguing with an interviewer you wouldn’t have a thread about being wrong when arguing with an interviewer

You screwed up. It happens. But don’t pretend it didn’t happen

I know I screwed up, I'm not disagreeing there

What do you mean specific answer?
Like a specific subject matter, especially with someone who probably has a pretty big knowledge base. Don’t dwell on it, mistakes happen, just do better next time

Reactions: 1 users
To provide more context:

No one will care, and your fate has already been determined by the interviewer. Sending in a note to correct something like this smacks of overweening perfectionism and angst. NOT what med schools want to see in candidates.

Reactions: 3 users
That interviewer either:
A: Is very passionate about the topic and 95.5% knew you were wrong at the interview, and went back to check to make sure they were right
B: He/she doesn't really care and forgot about it 5 minutes after you walked out of the room

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
That interviewer either:
A: Is very passionate about the topic and 95.5% knew you were wrong at the interview, and went back to check to make sure they were right
B: He/she doesn't really care and forgot about it 5 minutes after you walked out of the room

A was not the case. This was not an expert in the field. It's an obscure field. It's possible they didn't bother following up.

Reactions: 1 user

Pro tip: when you're a 3rd year med student and something like this happens on the rotation, unless you're 100% sure and it would likely lead to an adverse outcome for the patient you should not argue or correct the resident/attending. You can phrase it as "oh I thought ..." But if you definitively say something and it's wrong then you're in a world of hurting.

Reactions: 2 users
Hell even if you’re 100% sure they’re wrong, you might want to wait until you’re alone and ask unless like said the patients immediate health is at risk. No one likes to be called out like some dumb**** infront of other people.

Pro tip: when you're a 3rd year med student and something like this happens on the rotation, unless you're 100% sure and it would likely lead to an adverse outcome for the patient you should not argue or correct the resident/attending. You can phrase it as "oh I thought ..." But if you definitively say something and it's wrong then you're in a world of hurting.

I know the impression my story gives... I work with doctors every day in clinical settings and would never think of doing anything like this

Last edited: