You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Correlation Between ACT/SAT and MCAT Success
Started by StritchMD2011
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ACT: 32
MCAT: 29
Non-traditional, music major undergrad. Only bare pre-reqs. I think the correlation would've been better had i been a bio or chem major and had all the classes possible.
MCAT: 29
Non-traditional, music major undergrad. Only bare pre-reqs. I think the correlation would've been better had i been a bio or chem major and had all the classes possible.
1490, 36
Act: 31
sat: 1420
mcat: 33
sat: 1420
mcat: 33
I'm gonna say there's probably little to no correlation even though my scores are probably right in line with each other. I've been taking day-long standardized tests since I was 9, so I'm not exactly the best example for this.
SAT: 1550
ACT: 34
MCAT: 35
SAT: 1550
ACT: 34
MCAT: 35
This thread has caused me to wonder if there is any correlation between being breastfed and high mcat scores.
Probably. You'll have to start that one on your own.
Only correlation I can see is if verbal is bad on the SAT...its usually pretty bad on the MCAT....atleast in my case
SAT: 1320 (740 Math, 580 English)
SATII Writing: 710
MCAT:30 (8 on verbal)
Writing: Q
I'd say its pretty consistent....i have bad reading comprehension...but i'm a decent writer....so who knows maybe....
SAT: 1320 (740 Math, 580 English)
SATII Writing: 710
MCAT:30 (8 on verbal)
Writing: Q
I'd say its pretty consistent....i have bad reading comprehension...but i'm a decent writer....so who knows maybe....
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My SAT was 1040 but my MCAT was 29Q
I think that while there is a correlation it is possible to do well on the MCAT.
What was the major difference between both tests for me?
When I was in highschool I didn't care enough to actually study and practice a lot for the SAT. The MCAT is far more important of a test though.
I've taken both tests more then once in the respective times I took it. But again, like I said, I studied my arse off for the MCAT which I did not ever do for the SAT.
I think if there was any correlation it was with verbal because my verbal sucked in both and was what brought down my score in both cases.
I think that while there is a correlation it is possible to do well on the MCAT.
What was the major difference between both tests for me?
When I was in highschool I didn't care enough to actually study and practice a lot for the SAT. The MCAT is far more important of a test though.
I've taken both tests more then once in the respective times I took it. But again, like I said, I studied my arse off for the MCAT which I did not ever do for the SAT.
I think if there was any correlation it was with verbal because my verbal sucked in both and was what brought down my score in both cases.
Only correlation I can see is if verbal is bad on the SAT...its usually pretty bad on the MCAT....atleast in my case
SAT: 1320 (740 Math, 580 English)
SATII Writing: 710
MCAT:30 (8 on verbal)
Writing: Q
I'd say its pretty consistent....i have bad reading comprehension...but i'm a decent writer....so who knows maybe....
That is the story of my life! Haha. Otherwise I'd say there's no other correlation for me. Just in the verbal only.
After adding all of the MCAT/SAT pairs posted since my previous calculation (10 new pairs added to the original 24), the new regression equation is:
MCAT = 15.9 + 0.0134 SAT
... it's actually, QUITE similar.
I'm with Pianola!!!!! Freakin GENIUS = YOU MAJAHOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😛
That is almost on target with my MCAT score.
Sat: 1480 (740/740)
act: 31
mcat: 38 (13/13/12bs)
act: 31
mcat: 38 (13/13/12bs)
SAT Math: 790 👍 Verbal: 620 👎
MCAT: PS 15👍 VR 9👎 BS 15👍
Trend: low verbal peformance.
Conclusion after analysis: I don't know how to read or speak english 🙁. Can you english tutors out there teach me? I blame it on my grade school teachers.
MCAT: PS 15👍 VR 9👎 BS 15👍
Trend: low verbal peformance.
Conclusion after analysis: I don't know how to read or speak english 🙁. Can you english tutors out there teach me? I blame it on my grade school teachers.
I actually wasn't trying to provide a "predictive" equation, but a descriptive/"retrospective" equation... but I'm glad its proving to be somewhat valid.
p.s. Guju's are the best! Mo-tel, Ho-tel, Pa-tel. 🙂
p.s. Guju's are the best! Mo-tel, Ho-tel, Pa-tel. 🙂
I'm with Pianola!!!!! Freakin GENIUS = YOU MAJAHOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😛
That is almost on target with my MCAT score.
Yes, but you're a freak.Do my scores still represent the largest deviation from the regression after all these years?
I actually wasn't trying to provide a "predictive" equation, but a descriptive/"retrospective" equation... but I'm glad its proving to be somewhat valid.
p.s. Guju's are the best! Mo-tel, Ho-tel, Pa-tel. 🙂
haha I'm going to have to use that some time. never thought of it that way. lol
SAT (in 1993): 1380
MCAT (in 2006): 32T
MCAT (in 2006): 32T
SAT: 1270 (700 math, 570 verbal) 7th grade
SAT: 1360 (740 math, 620 verbal) 10th grade
SAT: 1480 (800 math, 680 verbal) 12th grade
SAT II MathIC: 800
SAT II Math IIC: 800
SATII Writing: 800
APCHEM: 5
APBio: 5
APEnglish Rhetoric:5
APEnglish Lit: 5
AP Calc BC:5
MCAT: 34 (13PS, 11V, 10BS, S)😡
f*ck the mcat
SAT: 1360 (740 math, 620 verbal) 10th grade
SAT: 1480 (800 math, 680 verbal) 12th grade
SAT II MathIC: 800
SAT II Math IIC: 800
SATII Writing: 800
APCHEM: 5
APBio: 5
APEnglish Rhetoric:5
APEnglish Lit: 5
AP Calc BC:5
MCAT: 34 (13PS, 11V, 10BS, S)😡
f*ck the mcat
SAT: 1300 (670 math, 630 verbal)
ACT: 30
MCAT: 27R (8, 10, 9) - yea I really sucked it up on the mcat!
ACT: 30
MCAT: 27R (8, 10, 9) - yea I really sucked it up on the mcat!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
my friend....
SAT: 1590 (PSAT: 236)
ACT: 36
MCAT: 29
yeah, I was pretty shocked. she supposedly likes osteopathy and was fine with that score. she didn't make any excuses, but knowing her, she didn't study for it all and just went in and took it knowing she could score well enough for osteopathic schools. she wouldn't have had those basic science classes for at least 2 years before her MCAT (she took physics and chem her freshman year, had bio credit from high school). I like how I'm making excuses for her when she didn't make any haha.
SAT: 1590 (PSAT: 236)
ACT: 36
MCAT: 29
yeah, I was pretty shocked. she supposedly likes osteopathy and was fine with that score. she didn't make any excuses, but knowing her, she didn't study for it all and just went in and took it knowing she could score well enough for osteopathic schools. she wouldn't have had those basic science classes for at least 2 years before her MCAT (she took physics and chem her freshman year, had bio credit from high school). I like how I'm making excuses for her when she didn't make any haha.
Uh...that's a great MCAT score. You're in the top 10% of people who also rocked 800's on their SAT2's and 5's on AP's.SAT: 1270 (700 math, 570 verbal) 7th grade
SAT: 1360 (740 math, 620 verbal) 10th grade
SAT: 1480 (800 math, 680 verbal) 12th grade
SAT II MathIC: 800
SAT II Math IIC: 800
SATII Writing: 800
APCHEM: 5
APBio: 5
APEnglish Rhetoric:5
APEnglish Lit: 5
AP Calc BC:5
MCAT: 34 (13PS, 11V, 10BS, S)😡
f*ck the mcat
When I get home from this interview trip, for sure!
Maja, are you going to update the scatterplot?
When I get home from this interview trip, for sure!
👍👍 Yay! You're awesome. Good luck with the interview!! 😀
ACT: 35
SAT: 1510
MCAT: 37R, 41T
i'm a good test taker 😛 my grades are crap though! well, crap for the med school bunch anyway. w00t me!
SAT: 1510
MCAT: 37R, 41T
i'm a good test taker 😛 my grades are crap though! well, crap for the med school bunch anyway. w00t me!
His old score expried. 😉
thaaaaaat makes more sense...
I know a few other smilar stories.ACT:33 (didn't study, took it once)
SAT:1330
MCAT:36P (studied a lot, took it once)
SAT:1330
MCAT:36P (studied a lot, took it once)
,
Last edited:
yea..its just i fell so far short of my own personal goals...and a 10 in bio??? you see these stories of people who leave passages blank on accident and guess on like 10 questions and still get 12s...i finished with like 20 minutes left on this section and went over all my answers and still only got a lousy 10😡
and if i knew how this processed worked i would take it over again! i was so worried about being "late" that i didnt take it over. and yet, i didnt submit secondaries till mid to late august...i wasnt complete at most schools till like fricken late october....and i still have 14 interviews![]()
o yea...and ive never studied for nething like that in my life...motivated by the thought of getting a BEAST ***** score that i could be proud of for the rest of my life...and it makes me worry about the boards...cuz i dont even think im gonna study for step1 the way i studied for the mcat...and i would like 2 get a 240+ score...and wat if i fall short again...the thought is short of frightening...call me neurotic

I would say no relationship besides reading maybe. I did not really study in HS just had fun and I made a 26 ACT. However, once I got to college I started to bust my but and make good grades. I made a 33 MCAT score
1280 SAT
32 MCAT
The equation predicts a 33 MCAT with my SAT score, so I would say it's a pretty good estimate.
32 MCAT
The equation predicts a 33 MCAT with my SAT score, so I would say it's a pretty good estimate.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ACT: 32
MCAT: 35P
Both are up there, but they're just so different! Does anyone else feel like they could royally destroy the ACT after going through college and preparing for the MCAT?
MCAT: 35P
Both are up there, but they're just so different! Does anyone else feel like they could royally destroy the ACT after going through college and preparing for the MCAT?
i've decided to do a little research and try to find out if there is some sort of correlation between the scores one has received on the act/sat tests and the scores received on the mcat. I'm still a high school student and i'm just very curious if there is some way to predict future mcat success. I just got my september act back and i got a 30 composite, which i was pretty happy with, considering it was what i was shooting for.
If everyone who has taken the act/sat and then the mcat could post their scores in some sort of order like this:
Act:xx
sat:xxxx
mcat:xx
i would greatly appreciate it.. I also know that this isn't necessarily a great prediction, but i'm just practicing some research for my psychology ap class. Thanks!😎
sat 1490
mcat 34s
First time I took the SAT (I didn't study for it at all)
Total: 1250 (vb:620, mt:630)
Second time SAT (3 months later, still did not study)
1420 (vb:670, mt:750)
First time I took the MCAT (studied my ***** off)
29R (ps:8, vb:11, bs:10)
Second time (studied hard, but not as much as the first time)
36Q (ps:14, vb:10, bs:12)
The moral of the story? I think standardized tests are pointless, subjective, and only tell you what kind of day a test-taker is having.
Total: 1250 (vb:620, mt:630)
Second time SAT (3 months later, still did not study)
1420 (vb:670, mt:750)
First time I took the MCAT (studied my ***** off)
29R (ps:8, vb:11, bs:10)
Second time (studied hard, but not as much as the first time)
36Q (ps:14, vb:10, bs:12)
The moral of the story? I think standardized tests are pointless, subjective, and only tell you what kind of day a test-taker is having.