Correlation Between ACT/SAT and MCAT Success

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
SAT:920(got a 300 on the english :D)
MCAT:30 (got an 8 in verbal :D)

See the trend

Members don't see this ad.

SAT - 1250 (Math 710, Verbal 540)
MCATS - 33 (BS 11, VR 8, PS 14)

BTW: SATII
Chem - 770
Bio - 660

CORRELATION!!!!

Only took the ACT...

I don't remember the specifics, but my score was a 25.

I did the MCAT and got a 37, PS(12), VR(10), BS(15)

Members don't see this ad :)
SAT: 1200 (640V, 560M)
SAT II: Bio - 700, Writing - 730, Math II: 560
ACT: 27
MCAT: 31P (11V, 10BS, 10PS)

ACT: 32
MCAT: 29

Non-traditional, music major undergrad. Only bare pre-reqs. I think the correlation would've been better had i been a bio or chem major and had all the classes possible.

This thread has caused me to wonder if there is any correlation between being breastfed and high mcat scores.

I'm gonna say there's probably little to no correlation even though my scores are probably right in line with each other. I've been taking day-long standardized tests since I was 9, so I'm not exactly the best example for this.

SAT: 1550
ACT: 34
MCAT: 35

Kind of a correlation maybe...
ACT: 34
SAT: 1450
MCAT: 37

This thread has caused me to wonder if there is any correlation between being breastfed and high mcat scores.

Probably. You'll have to start that one on your own.

Members don't see this ad :)
Only correlation I can see is if verbal is bad on the SAT...its usually pretty bad on the MCAT....atleast in my case

SAT: 1320 (740 Math, 580 English)
SATII Writing: 710

MCAT:30 (8 on verbal)
Writing: Q

I'd say its pretty consistent....i have bad reading comprehension...but i'm a decent writer....so who knows maybe....

1160 (660 Math, 500 Reading)

31M (11 P, 10 V, 10 B)

My SAT was 1040 but my MCAT was 29Q

I think that while there is a correlation it is possible to do well on the MCAT.

What was the major difference between both tests for me?

When I was in highschool I didn't care enough to actually study and practice a lot for the SAT. The MCAT is far more important of a test though.

I've taken both tests more then once in the respective times I took it. But again, like I said, I studied my arse off for the MCAT which I did not ever do for the SAT.

I think if there was any correlation it was with verbal because my verbal sucked in both and was what brought down my score in both cases.

Only correlation I can see is if verbal is bad on the SAT...its usually pretty bad on the MCAT....atleast in my case
SAT: 1320 (740 Math, 580 English)
SATII Writing: 710

MCAT:30 (8 on verbal)
Writing: Q

I'd say its pretty consistent....i have bad reading comprehension...but i'm a decent writer....so who knows maybe....

That is the story of my life! Haha. Otherwise I'd say there's no other correlation for me. Just in the verbal only.

After adding all of the MCAT/SAT pairs posted since my previous calculation (10 new pairs added to the original 24), the new regression equation is:

MCAT = 15.9 + 0.0134 SAT

... it's actually, QUITE similar.

I'm with Pianola!!!!! Freakin GENIUS = YOU MAJAHOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

That is almost on target with my MCAT score.

act: 33
mcat: 33

I guess it's my lucky number

SAT: 1430 (720 Math, 710 Verbal)
SAT II: Math IIC-700, Writing-690, History-660

MCAT: 30R (11/11/8 BS)

SAT Math: 790 :thumbup: Verbal: 620 :thumbdown:

MCAT: PS 15:thumbup: VR 9:thumbdown: BS 15:thumbup:

Trend: low verbal peformance.

Conclusion after analysis: I don't know how to read or speak english :(. Can you english tutors out there teach me? I blame it on my grade school teachers.

I actually wasn't trying to provide a "predictive" equation, but a descriptive/"retrospective" equation... but I'm glad its proving to be somewhat valid.

p.s. Guju's are the best! Mo-tel, Ho-tel, Pa-tel. :)

I'm with Pianola!!!!! Freakin GENIUS = YOU MAJAHOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

That is almost on target with my MCAT score.

I actually wasn't trying to provide a "predictive" equation, but a descriptive/"retrospective" equation... but I'm glad its proving to be somewhat valid.

p.s. Guju's are the best! Mo-tel, Ho-tel, Pa-tel. :)

haha I'm going to have to use that some time. never thought of it that way. lol

SAT: 1270 (700 math, 570 verbal) 7th grade
SAT: 1360 (740 math, 620 verbal) 10th grade
SAT: 1480 (800 math, 680 verbal) 12th grade

SAT II MathIC: 800
SAT II Math IIC: 800
SATII Writing: 800

APCHEM: 5
APBio: 5
APEnglish Rhetoric:5
APEnglish Lit: 5
AP Calc BC:5

MCAT: 34 (13PS, 11V, 10BS, S):mad:

f*ck the mcat

SAT: 1300 (670 math, 630 verbal)
ACT: 30
MCAT: 27R (8, 10, 9) - yea I really sucked it up on the mcat!

my friend....

SAT: 1590 (PSAT: 236)
ACT: 36
MCAT: 29

yeah, I was pretty shocked. she supposedly likes osteopathy and was fine with that score. she didn't make any excuses, but knowing her, she didn't study for it all and just went in and took it knowing she could score well enough for osteopathic schools. she wouldn't have had those basic science classes for at least 2 years before her MCAT (she took physics and chem her freshman year, had bio credit from high school). I like how I'm making excuses for her when she didn't make any haha.

Maja, are you going to update the scatterplot?

SAT: 1270 (700 math, 570 verbal) 7th grade
SAT: 1360 (740 math, 620 verbal) 10th grade
SAT: 1480 (800 math, 680 verbal) 12th grade

SAT II MathIC: 800
SAT II Math IIC: 800
SATII Writing: 800

APCHEM: 5
APBio: 5
APEnglish Rhetoric:5
APEnglish Lit: 5
AP Calc BC:5

MCAT: 34 (13PS, 11V, 10BS, S):mad:

f*ck the mcat
Uh...that's a great MCAT score. You're in the top 10% of people who also rocked 800's on their SAT2's and 5's on AP's.

ACT: 35
SAT: 1510
MCAT: 37R, 41T

i'm a good test taker :p my grades are crap though! well, crap for the med school bunch anyway. w00t me!

ACT:33 (didn't study, took it once)
SAT:1330
MCAT:36P (studied a lot, took it once)

yea..its just i fell so far short of my own personal goals...and a 10 in bio??? you see these stories of people who leave passages blank on accident and guess on like 10 questions and still get 12s...i finished with like 20 minutes left on this section and went over all my answers and still only got a lousy 10:mad:

and if i knew how this processed worked i would take it over again! i was so worried about being "late" that i didnt take it over. and yet, i didnt submit secondaries till mid to late august...i wasnt complete at most schools till like fricken late october....and i still have 14 interviews :smuggrin:

o yea...and ive never studied for nething like that in my life...motivated by the thought of getting a BEAST ***** score that i could be proud of for the rest of my life...and it makes me worry about the boards...cuz i dont even think im gonna study for step1 the way i studied for the mcat...and i would like 2 get a 240+ score...and wat if i fall short again...the thought is short of frightening...call me neurotic:scared:

I would say no relationship besides reading maybe. I did not really study in HS just had fun and I made a 26 ACT. However, once I got to college I started to bust my but and make good grades. I made a 33 MCAT score

1280 SAT
32 MCAT

The equation predicts a 33 MCAT with my SAT score, so I would say it's a pretty good estimate.

haha I think I got the same grade on the ACT & MCAT! 31 & 31!

Never noticed before!

ACT: 27
SAT 1240

MCAT: 34

hmmm...........

ACT: 32
MCAT: 35P

Both are up there, but they're just so different! Does anyone else feel like they could royally destroy the ACT after going through college and preparing for the MCAT?

i've decided to do a little research and try to find out if there is some sort of correlation between the scores one has received on the act/sat tests and the scores received on the mcat. I'm still a high school student and i'm just very curious if there is some way to predict future mcat success. I just got my september act back and i got a 30 composite, which i was pretty happy with, considering it was what i was shooting for.

If everyone who has taken the act/sat and then the mcat could post their scores in some sort of order like this:

Act:xx
sat:xxxx
mcat:xx

i would greatly appreciate it.. I also know that this isn't necessarily a great prediction, but i'm just practicing some research for my psychology ap class. Thanks!:cool:

sat 1490
mcat 34s

First time I took the SAT (I didn't study for it at all)
Total: 1250 (vb:620, mt:630)
Second time SAT (3 months later, still did not study)
1420 (vb:670, mt:750)

First time I took the MCAT (studied my ***** off)
29R (ps:8, vb:11, bs:10)
Second time (studied hard, but not as much as the first time)
36Q (ps:14, vb:10, bs:12)

The moral of the story? I think standardized tests are pointless, subjective, and only tell you what kind of day a test-taker is having.