Correlation Between ACT/SAT and MCAT Success

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First time I took the SAT (I didn't study for it at all)
Total: 1250 (vb:620, mt:630)
Second time SAT (3 months later, still did not study)
1420 (vb:670, mt:750)

First time I took the MCAT (studied my ***** off)
29R (ps:8, vb:11, bs:10)
Second time (studied hard, but not as much as the first time)
36Q (ps:14, vb:10, bs:12)

The moral of the story? I think standardized tests are pointless, subjective, and only tell you what kind of day a test-taker is having.
I agree. NOW BOW BEFORE MY STATS!

Members don't see this ad.

:)

Last edited:
ohhhh chubby. You're either a really funny class-clown or a completely shady bastard. I hope to meet you one day to get a better idea of which it is.

1610 and 23

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
As promised, here are the updated statistics regarding the correlation (or lack thereof) between SAT and MCAT. Only those very few EXTREMELY dramatic (like 900 SAT and 35 MCAT) scores have been excluded from the data set. Otherwise, they include every set of values provided since the beginning of this thread.

To my surprise: the correlation remains quite robust.

The updated regression equation is
MCAT = 17.3 + 0.0124 SAT

scatter3.jpg

As promised, here are the updated statistics regarding the correlation (or lack thereof) between SAT and MCAT. Only those very few EXTREMELY dramatic (like 900 SAT and 35 MCAT) scores have been excluded from the data set. Otherwise, they include every set of values provided since the beginning of this thread.

MCAT = 17.3 + 0.0124 SAT

scatter3.jpg

I didnt make it to the graph :(

I almost fit exactly on that line.

projected: 1320/33.7
actual: 1320/32 (however, my avg on practice tests (34) are even closer to that line)

Oh, and I think I scored a 28 on the ACT. Not positive...

If only that correlation had predicted my score - the equation gives me a two-point bump on my MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm doing alright. Yeah, it's stronger than the last one... but not that strong. For those of you who aren't familiar, it [essentially] means that a "change" (or in this case a "given") SAT score accounts for ~25% of the variation in your MCAT score... Probably not a very good way to look at it in this specific case, though. Clearly, the correlation is stronger than that.

I think the fundamental confounding variable is the difference in personality between the high-school self and the near college-graduating self. In terms of attitude, priorities, study habits and motivation, I don't "correlate" any more strongly with my high-school self than I do with the next-person's self. I am for all intents and purposes an entirely different person than I was in high school - even though my native intelligence and standardized test-taking ability are probably very similar [all else held equal].

I'm not doing too badly, what about you Mr. Hops?

And ~.5 isn't too shabby... Just shows its a relatively loose correlation.

Last edited:
I'm doing alright. Yeah, it's stronger than the last one... but not that strong. For those of you who aren't familiar, it [essentially] means that a "change" (or in this case a "given") SAT score accounts for ~25% of the variation in your MCAT score... Probably not a very good way to look at it in this specific case, though. Clearly, the correlation is stronger than that.

I think the fundamental confounding variable is the difference in personality between the high-school self and the near college-graduating self. In terms of attitude, priorities, study habits and motivation, I don't "correlate" any more strongly with my high-school self than I do with the next-person's self. I am for all intents and purposes an entirely different person than I was in high school - even though my native intelligence and standardized test-taking ability are probably very similar [all else held equal].
*nods* If I retook the SAT tomorrow, I could probably get an even better score than I got four years ago, just because of the time to get better at reasoning in between... Course, I got a 1470 last time, so I'd need like a what, 2300 to top it? :p

I doubt I could've COUNTED TO 1470 when I took the SAT. :p

*nods* If I retook the SAT tomorrow, I could probably get an even better score than I got four years ago, just because of the time to get better at reasoning in between... Course, I got a 1470 last time, so I'd need like a what, 2300 to top it? :p

There is no predicted score. I know many people will say this, but can you guys please give me a estimate score I will get if I study and with my sat scores.
SAT 1:
M - 700
CR - 620
WR - 660
SAT 2:
Math 2 - 740
Chemistry - 680 (self studied...should have studied more :( )

There is no predicted score. I know many people will say this, but can you guys please give me a estimate score
:confused: Uh...I think you answered your own question. MCAT and high school standardized tests scores correlate very poorly, so a predicted score is both mostly useless and pretty impossible to generate. If you want to amuse yourself, knock about 10-15% off of whatever percentile a 1980 is and look up the MCAT percentile chart on the AAMC website to find that number. It won't tell you anything meaningful, but whatever floats your boat.

SAT: 1480, 1540 second time
MCAT: 35M, 41R second time

lol why would u take it twice if u got a 35

Someone on the first page retook a 37!

But yea, I didn't prepare that much, got some GI problems that day, and had to take a #2 in the middle of the PS section(ran to a restroom first, of course). I figured I'd do better the next time around, plus I figure that I needed something to make up for my lackluster EC's and GPA.

According to the formula posted in this thread from users' data, my SAT correlates to a 36 MCAT. Oh, I really hope I could end up doing that well!

I know many people will say this, but can you guys please give me a estimate score I will get if I study and with my sat scores.

Uh, there is a formula posted a couple posts above yours that you can use. Doesn't guarantee anything, this is all for fun. :p

MCAT = 17.3 + 0.0124 SAT

scatter3.jpg

Great, I'm going to get a 46!

Great, I'm going to get a 46!

That's because you're supposed to use the SAT out of 1600, not 2400. If I use my SAT out of 2400 in that formula I'd get more than a 45, LoL.

That's because you're supposed to use the SAT out of 1600, not 2400. If I use my SAT out of 2400 in that formula I'd get more than a 45, LoL.

Aww dammit. Measly 36.

SAT: 1350
MCAT: 33

Some guy at one of my interviews says my MCAT is higher than expected from my SAT score. I guess there IS a correlation, or he wouldn't have made that remark. He said a 1450 or so is about a 33, so let's just do some cross-multiplication to figure this out!

1450/33 = 1350/x

x = 30.7

I SHOULD have had around a 31 on the MCAT then!

Normally I would resist the urge to post on such a blatant "look at my awesome standardized test scores" thread, but I got an early decision "rejection" today, so I'm giving myself permission for some ego-stroking.

MCAT: 35R
(old) SAT: 1550

interesting. according to the correlation formula i will only get a 34/35...

2110/2400.

but i have a 39s.

i guess my brain is a on a continuous growth compared to the general population who has stagnated ;)

usmile- 110%

Someone on the first page retook a 37!

But yea, I didn't prepare that much, got some GI problems that day, and had to take a #2 in the middle of the PS section(ran to a restroom first, of course). I figured I'd do better the next time around, plus I figure that I needed something to make up for my lackluster EC's and GPA.

I retook with a 37, but that's because it expired.

SAT: 1380 (partied the night before and didn't study at all)
ACT: 32
GRE: 800 math / 570 verbal / 6 writing
MCAT: 41Q

interesting. according to the correlation formula i will only get a 34/35...

2110/2400.

but i have a 39s.

i guess my brain is a on a continuous growth compared to the general population who has stagnated ;)

usmile- 110%

Do hs students usually take the SAT in Canada? That could be a possible reason, because if the SAT is not the primary test that everyone must take, you might not have focused on it as much.

SAT: 1350
MCAT: 33

Some guy at one of my interviews says my MCAT is higher than expected from my SAT score. I guess there IS a correlation, or he wouldn't have made that remark. He said a 1450 or so is about a 33, so let's just do some cross-multiplication to figure this out!

1450/33 = 1350/x

x = 30.7

I SHOULD have had around a 31 on the MCAT then!

lol... I don't think think you can do that.

There has to be some serious bias in the self-reporting online too. Ppl with good MCAT and SAT will volunteer their scores most. Ppl with one bad score and one good score are more reluctant, and ppl with two bad scores will least likely give their score.

That must totally mess up the regression and r-value.

ACT 31 (4th try) - never studied
SAT 1430 (3rd try) - never studied
MCAT 39 (only try) - studied

Do hs students usually take the SAT in Canada? That could be a possible reason, because if the SAT is not the primary test that everyone must take, you might not have focused on it as much.

ur right. the SAT is not a primary test and our high school grades are more impt for admission purposes to university.

however, i feel the major difference is really that i was just in general younger. my practice up to the actual SAT was 5 practice tests, one per week, and is probably why i didnt do as well as my mcat score suggest i can.

and i did think that a 2110 was a pretty darn good score at that time.

i used to sat to apply to johns hopkins and weee they rejected me... which they are probably going to do so again! :laugh:

SAT 1
M 630
V 550

T =1180

SAT 2
M 620
V 610
T =1230

SAT 3
M 680
V 630

T= 1310

GRE ( Felt like SAT 4)
M 800
V 720
T= 1520

MCAT 1
P 11
V 5
B 11

T= 27

MCAT 2
P = 14
V = 9 (Didn't even finish a section and I strongly feel that if I wasn't so nervous and if i didn't slowed down when I was reading I could have gotten a 11 if I had time to do the last passage) (on practice my scores ranged from a 7 to a 12)
B= 13

T= 36

The only pattern I see is that I generally tend to do better after i retake.

Last edited:
Dang, ezsanche, that is a great improvement on the MCAT as well as on the SAT vs. GRE.