Correlation between Kaplan Diagnostic and MCAT scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jofrbr76

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I ask b/c i know everyone improves, but is there any certain # of points people tend to gain?

If you remember your scores (kap diag vs. Mcat), post'em, i'm curious

Members don't see this ad.

Are you referring to the mini-diagnostic test you take the first day of the Kaplan course?

I got about 20 on the first diagnostic and 37 on the real thing. Your first score likely won't be anywhere in the ball park of how you'll end up doing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jefe, how much did you study? How many practice tests did you do? Did your later practice tests reflect your amazing 37?

I concure with Jefe. I improved about 9-11 points from diag to real test.

i got a 26 on the mini diagnostic, and a 33 on test day. that came with very little actual work in the kaplan class (basically all i did was show up for class). i think the difference mainly reflected the difficulty of the kaplan tests, and my unfamiliarity with the exam (i did show up for all the practice full lengths).

I read the stuff Kaplan assigned a couple days before each class, and then 3 weeks before the test I just pounded through all of the mini practice materials they had. I went to all 5 of the full lengths and scored between 28 and 36 on them. So I ended up doing better on the actual MCAT than any of the Kaplan practice tests. (My verbal was actually lower than the practice tests, but I attribute that to lack of sleep in nervous anticipation the night before.)

I improved 6 points on the real thing. Just do a lot of practice tests. Hardest section to improve on is verbal.

Which practice tests did you do besides AAMC?

Originally posted by Premed315U:
•Which practice tests did you do besides AAMC?•••

I took the Berkeley Review prep course. They provide the signed-up students with 10-12 comprehensive diagnostics. How did I like to the Review? The instruction was SUPERBBBB( my inability to ever comprehend Physics was finally salvaged--got 12 on PS), BUT their diagnostics were not really reflective of the real MCATs..supposedly harder but I still did worse on the real MCAT. :(

I don't believe you people who "basically showed up to kaplan class and didn't study" and went up 10+ from your diagnostic to the real thing.

Okay, me: got a 23 on the diagnostic and 33 on the real thing. But that took like a **** load of work. Lots and lots and lots of work.

I went from 24-36..the diagnostic stinks.

Well some people just have a knack for standardized tests. I bet if you did well on the SAT you'll do well on the MCAT.

28 initial, 31, 31, 34, 36 for the diagnostics.

31 on the real test, and I had a great night's sleep, wasn't sick, wasn't remotely nervous, ate breakfast, etc etc etc.

I hate kaplan.

(In their defense, their verbal preparation is great...so many available practice tests)

the first diagnostic test meant little.
but the other practice tests were pretty accurate with regard to my score on test day.

kaplan's strong point is their practice problems.
classes, generally, weren't as helpful.