CORRELATION BETWEEN MCAT & THE BOARDS?

Discussion in 'Step I' started by Pursuing MD, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Pursuing MD

Pursuing MD Senior Member

Hello there,

Is there any correlation between performing well on the MCAT and performing well on the boards? Similarly, is there any relationship between a high undergrad. GPA and performing well on the boards or medical school?

I got a 21 on the MCAT and I am afraid that if I were to take the boards I would not perform well...should I be concerned?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. bonecutter

bonecutter Member

<a href="http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/research/bibliography/julia001.pdf" target="_blank">AAMC</a>

Try this link

4. Thanks for the link. As one whose results on the MCAT were mediocre at best, the situation is a bit scary. I got a 28 on the MCAT but had a 4.0 in undergrad. I guess I'll just hope I learn to do multiple choice tests between now and the boards...

5. Tonsils

Tonsils Junior Member

There is no correlation between MCAT and USMLE. Two are very different test. MCAT focuses on verbal reasoning more than scientific reasoning. USMLE involves some reasoning, but bulk of the material is pattern recognition.

6. Ryo-Ohki

Did you even click on the link? No correlation?!

Remember, there is an ceiling effect with MCAT scores. We accept only the upper range of MCATs (excepting URMs and cases of nepotism) into medical school. Imagine if the entire range of MCATs/GPAs were allowed to go to medical school and take the USMLEs

7. JoeJo

JoeJo Junior Member

"Remember, there is an ceiling effect with MCAT scores. We accept only the upper range of MCATs (excepting URMs and cases of nepotism) into medical school. Imagine if the entire range of MCATs/GPAs were allowed to go to medical school and take the USMLEs"

that is an extremely closed minded response. I personally know of students with 2.5 or 2.6 GPA from undergrad, that ended up studying internationally, and ROCKING the boards, 90+. Remember, we all make mistakes in life, it is not fair at all to be so judgemental.

8. Ryo-Ohki

I expect, on average, a person who has a 21 MCAT/2.5 GPA to score less then a person who has a 35 MCAT/3.7 GPA if both were allowed to go to the same medical school.

Yeah, that makes me very closed minded.

DoctorWhoo likes this.
  9. JoeJo

JoeJo Junior Member

look, I am not trying to argue with you. Just simply stating that it is not good to make a generalized statement that anyone not getting superior results in undergrad will not score well on the USMLE. If that is how you feel good for you. I am just stating that it is possible to do well on step I with mediocre undergrad results.

10. BushBaby

BushBaby Nipplelina

Attending Physician
    I went to the AAMC site and it seems their scores of are reflective of only 14 participating schools...so as long as you aren't attending one of those participating schools you should be A-OKAY...lol. And this data is almost over 10 years old (1992/1993).

11. Peeshee

Peeshee Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    There CAN be a correlation between MCAT and USMLE, but for a lot of students, there is no correlation. Many students did not dedicate themselves during undergrad. but now in medical school, they are more dedicated and committed to learning, so they may not have done well on the MCAT but most likely will do well on the USMLE.
    I wouldn't worry about if there is a correlation or not...just do the best you can!! They are 2 different exams!

12. guitarguy23

Medical Student
    I got a 19 the first time I took the MCAT and got a 258 on Step 1 bro. Expand your horizons doc.

allojay likes this.
  13. Psai

Psai Account on Hold
    Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    You're responding to a post from 12 years ago, the guy is probably retired by now.

#12 Psai, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  14. rodmichael82

Medical Student
    Wow @ massive late bump

15. notbobtrustme

notbobtrustme Crux Terminatus
    Banned Account on Hold

Medical Student
    epic necro bump

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. 4thQTHailMary

Medical Student
    27, 262 here. Come at me bro

18. guitarguy23

Medical Student
    I know I was just being nostalgic :)

I was halfway through high school at that point haha

19. LostinLift

Medical Student
    Combining the humblebrag and necro bump, the necrobumble.

#17 LostinLift, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
    001100010010011 likes this.