CORRELATION BETWEEN MCAT & THE BOARDS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pursuing MD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there,

Is there any correlation between performing well on the MCAT and performing well on the boards? Similarly, is there any relationship between a high undergrad. GPA and performing well on the boards or medical school?

I got a 21 on the MCAT and I am afraid that if I were to take the boards I would not perform well...should I be concerned?

Members don't see this ad.

<a href="http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/research/bibliography/julia001.pdf" target="_blank">AAMC</a>

Try this link

Thanks for the link. As one whose results on the MCAT were mediocre at best, the situation is a bit scary. I got a 28 on the MCAT but had a 4.0 in undergrad. I guess I'll just hope I learn to do multiple choice tests between now and the boards...

There is no correlation between MCAT and USMLE. Two are very different test. MCAT focuses on verbal reasoning more than scientific reasoning. USMLE involves some reasoning, but bulk of the material is pattern recognition.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you even click on the link? No correlation?!

Remember, there is an ceiling effect with MCAT scores. We accept only the upper range of MCATs (excepting URMs and cases of nepotism) into medical school. Imagine if the entire range of MCATs/GPAs were allowed to go to medical school and take the USMLEs

"Remember, there is an ceiling effect with MCAT scores. We accept only the upper range of MCATs (excepting URMs and cases of nepotism) into medical school. Imagine if the entire range of MCATs/GPAs were allowed to go to medical school and take the USMLEs"

that is an extremely closed minded response. I personally know of students with 2.5 or 2.6 GPA from undergrad, that ended up studying internationally, and ROCKING the boards, 90+. Remember, we all make mistakes in life, it is not fair at all to be so judgemental.

I expect, on average, a person who has a 21 MCAT/2.5 GPA to score less then a person who has a 35 MCAT/3.7 GPA if both were allowed to go to the same medical school.

Yeah, that makes me very closed minded.

Reactions: 1 user
look, I am not trying to argue with you. Just simply stating that it is not good to make a generalized statement that anyone not getting superior results in undergrad will not score well on the USMLE. If that is how you feel good for you. I am just stating that it is possible to do well on step I with mediocre undergrad results.

I went to the AAMC site and it seems their scores of are reflective of only 14 participating schools...so as long as you aren't attending one of those participating schools you should be A-OKAY...lol. And this data is almost over 10 years old (1992/1993).

There CAN be a correlation between MCAT and USMLE, but for a lot of students, there is no correlation. Many students did not dedicate themselves during undergrad. but now in medical school, they are more dedicated and committed to learning, so they may not have done well on the MCAT but most likely will do well on the USMLE.
I wouldn't worry about if there is a correlation or not...just do the best you can!! They are 2 different exams!

I expect, on average, a person who has a 21 MCAT/2.5 GPA to score less then a person who has a 35 MCAT/3.7 GPA if both were allowed to go to the same medical school.

Yeah, that makes me very closed minded.

I got a 19 the first time I took the MCAT and got a 258 on Step 1 bro. Expand your horizons doc.

You're responding to a post from 12 years ago, the guy is probably retired by now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Combining the humblebrag and necro bump, the necrobumble.

Last edited: