Correlation between science GPA and MCAT scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knightstale4

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Na

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Very much for me.

I have basically a 4.0 science GPR, and got

PS:13
V:8
BS:13

It's different for everyone though because I have met people who make A's in science classes, but only because they study for weeks before the tests. They retain nothing and didn't do too well on the MCAT science (or not outstanding at least).

The more you get out of your classes the less you will probably need to study, obviously. I studied for about 3 months before mine.

No....I have a 3.35 BCPM which is lower than the absolute majority of people on SDN and I had a 10 and a 12 in the science sections, which seems at least average on SDN, if not above it. To top it off, I got a 12 in PS, and I took the test w/o physics II or gen chem II, and I really struggled in physics I - I got a B+, but only thanks to a major curve and a good lab grade. I had like a 71% average in the class.

I have a high GPA (3.8 +) with my prereq science being a 4.0 and I probably will be lucky to break a 30.

I just do not test well on standardized tests. I have gotten better as I get older but never to the level I expect based on my GPA.

I guess it is because I memorize things instead of learn them.

However, I have been working on it.

If the MCAT did not have Physics, I know I could do well. It is my problem area.

So, to me, I think that it may help predict for some, but I would look more at how you did on the SAT. I think the best predictor of standardized tests are previous standardized tests.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this is very person-specific and we can't give you concrete answers.

I have a very high GPA and got a 10 and 11 in the science sections. I burnt most of my time learning Physics II and re-learning Gen Chem :(

i dont really think there is a correlation in general because i know too many people that have lower gpa's that get good MCAT scores.

On the other hand, it would seem like there is a correlation for my case:

3.75 overall
3.84 BCPM
32O MCAT 8VR 13PS 11BS

BTW, when one says that they couldnt break a 30, does that mean they were able to make a 30 but nothing higher, or does it mean that they couldnt make a 30???

To all of you who have taken the MCAT, the actual one and receieved a score, do you think there is a correlation between MCAT and undergraduate science GPA? If you did well in college, do you attribute your MCAT success or failure to your classes, or to the amount of work you put into studying with outside sources/notes?

I am really hoping not, and I hope it is motivation level and MCAT. Otherwise, I am screwed. :scared::confused::eek::mad::smuggrin:

Be sure to share your thoughts :D;):p:cool:

GPA depends very much on the school, which is why we have MCAT. Getting an A at CalTech or MIT is harder than getting an A at just about any school. GPA also depends very much on major. Engineers have much lower GPAs on average than any other majors and that's not because they are stupider. So looking for a correlation between grades and MCAT scores is kind of pointless.

There isn't much correlation at all.
A GPA is highly reflective of mainly work ethic, motivation, and study skills. The MCAT is highly indicative of intelligence and reasoning skills.

Example: Person A with 3.8 GPA who studies for 5 hours/night to maintain the 3.8 and gets a 25 on the MCAT would not have great reasoning skills (or high test anxiety) while Person B with a 2.8 GPA barely studying but gets a 35 would have high reasoning skills. Person A has "maxed-out" their potential and not much room for improvement (overachiever) while Person B still has a high ceiling of improvement (under-achiever).

i dont really think there is a correlation in general because i know too many people that have lower gpa's that get good MCAT scores.

On the other hand, it would seem like there is a correlation for my case:

3.75 overall
3.84 BCPM
32O MCAT 8VR 13PS 11BS

BTW, when one says that they couldnt break a 30, does that mean they were able to make a 30 but nothing higher, or does it mean that they couldnt make a 30???

I want a 30 or higher but based on my usual standardized test performances, I doubt that I can get a 30 or higher on the test. So, to answer the question, getting 30+

I doubt you can make any sort of correlation. It depends greatly on the classes themselves, the student's intelligence, reasoning skills, and a bunch of other things.

You need to remember a lot of information in order to do well. On the other hand, if you work hard and do everything in your power to memorize the information, you might do well. But if you can't reason through an argument, then you might not, no matter how much you study. That's why studying for the MCAT is so much more than just remembering all the information that might be tested. You HAVE to take practice tests in order to figure out how they ask you questions and how to take the test. That's as important, if not more, than actually knowing the information.

To all of you who have taken the MCAT, the actual one and receieved a score, do you think there is a correlation between MCAT and undergraduate science GPA? If you did well in college, do you attribute your MCAT success or failure to your classes, or to the amount of work you put into studying with outside sources/notes?

I am really hoping not, and I hope it is motivation level and MCAT. Otherwise, I am screwed. :scared::confused::eek::mad::smuggrin:

Be sure to share your thoughts :D;):p:cool:

Well, I was reminded of one osteopathic medical school-level study that examined a bunch of different factors; the study (N=434; OSUCOM) found that the undergraduate science GPA didn't really show a substantial correlation with any of the MCAT sectional scores (r=-0.09, VR; r=0.13, PS; r=0.18, BS; r=0.03, WS), but within that dataset, only the BS section had a significant correlation (P<0.001) with science UGPA; it also had the highest correlation of the group (Evans and Wen, 2007; correlation matrix).

Anyway, what I take away from that study data and my own experiences is that the science sections of the MCAT are minimally correlated with your science GPA. It's certainly nothing to write home about, in my opinion. There are many factors that impact GPA, such as motivation, study habits, consistancy, and external factors. However, don't let this data deceived you. My personal opinion is that, in general, you do need to have an adequate knowledge base of the required sciences in order to play the MCAT game well. Make sure you know how to apply the knowledge elements that are required for the MCAT and that there aren't any holes in your knowledge. This can be fatal with respect to MCAT performance. On the other hand, the MCAT is also an assessment of your test-taking abilities. Thus, it is essential that you practice taking the MCAT under real conditions, that you have good test-taking strategy, and that you learn from your mistakes and hone your test-taking skills.

Good luck.