cosmetic botox

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

100YardDash

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A Physiatrist I shadowed speacializes in neuro rehab and his practice mostly consists of treating spasticity with botox and intrathecal Baclofen therapy. He also does botox for Bleparospasm and such. We discussed cosmetic botox and he was telling me that he chooses not to do it because the patient population is hard to deal with, specifically stating that they tend to be hard to satisfy with high expectations. I know he is speaking in general and every patient is different but I was just curious if any of you guys offer cosmetic botox and what are your thoughts on it.

I don't mean to come off as money hungry or assume that anyone else on here is, but I would think that cosmetic botox would be more popular considering the medicare/medicaid cut coming up this month and the fact that these patients pay out of pocket. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
While it may be no big deal to stick Botox in someone's forehead, it's not easy to attract those patients. People that do those kinds of procedures like cosmetic Dermatologists and Plastic Surgeons spend $$$ to advertise on TV or in glossy metro magazines, because the competition amongst themselves for a relative handful of patients is intense. They invest in glamorous, spa like clinics in the wealthy suburbs. Hell, sometimes the clinics are spas or beauty parlors with cosmetic procedures just happening to be one of the services that's offered. I saw a place like this at the town's upscale mall the other day.

To put it bluntly, you will not attract that kind of patient in any kind of large numbers to your offices.

Members don't see this ad :)
While it may be no big deal to stick Botox in someone's forehead, it's not easy to attract those patients. People that do those kinds of procedures like cosmetic Dermatologists and Plastic Surgeons spend $$$ to advertise on TV or in glossy metro magazines, because the competition amongst themselves for a relative handful of patients is intense. They invest in glamorous, spa like clinics in the wealthy suburbs. Hell, sometimes the clinics are spas or beauty parlors with cosmetic procedures just happening to be one of the services that's offered. I saw a place like this at the town's upscale mall the other day.

To put it bluntly, you will not attract that kind of patient in any kind of large numbers to your offices.

Sure, that's understandable. But, I wasn't implying to build a practice solely on providing cosmetic botox therapy. The discussion was brought up after I heard several patients asking about cosmetic botox during their scheduled visit for spasticity treatment. I dunno, just figured well hey, you already have the botox in house, why not just do a couple of cosmetic procedures on the side if patients are wanting it. Anyways, I was just curious. Thanks for the responses.

I work in a large multispecialty clinic and use Botox for pain and spasticity. We have a NP who has Botox parties outside the office and does well. No lack of folks desiring Botox or caring that he isn't Derm or plastics or an md.

another thing to consider is Malpractice coverage
Medical Protective (my med mal carrier) has a stipulation in my coverage. I filled out a survey when I signed up with them. Q#1: Do you use botulinum toxin in your practice? Q#2: Do you use it for cosmetic reasons? (this policy will NOT cover you for cosmetic administration).

I would have had to get a special rider on my policy for any cosmetic use. I did not bother to find out how much that cost.

I work in a large multispecialty clinic and use Botox for pain and spasticity. We have a NP who has Botox parties outside the office and does well. No lack of folks desiring Botox or caring that he isn't Derm or plastics or an md.

Stupid patients going to a stupid NP. A Match made in heaven.

I hope he doesn't order the Botox through your office.

another thing to consider is Malpractice coverage
Medical Protective (my med mal carrier) has a stipulation in my coverage. I filled out a survey when I signed up with them. Q#1: Do you use botulinum toxin in your practice? Q#2: Do you use it for cosmetic reasons? (this policy will NOT cover you for cosmetic administration).

I would have had to get a special rider on my policy for any cosmetic use. I did not bother to find out how much that cost.

Good point. Didn't think about the cost of insurance.

I've heard all the Derm and plastics guys delegate this to their np and pa.

I agree. Prior to medical school I worked for years in a derm office as an NP and I can tell you most derms and plastics I knew had an RN, NP, or PA performing botox while they focused on bigger procedures. In fact, when I left the practice the derm had to take one of those weekend courses (so he could continue to see those patients until he found my replacement) because botox was something he didn't learn in residency and he wasn't the one doing it in the office.