Cost Justification?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eiiza6eth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have already been accepted to my state school (U TN), and I am very excited about the school. However, I just received an interview invite to a private school (creighton) approximately 700 miles away. This school was my number one choice, shot-in-the-dark-type school. Problem is, my state school is 18K per year tuituion while this private school is 35K. I am trying to decide wheter or not to fork over the great amount of money for a plane ticket, hotel, and the cost of missing work 2 days to interview at a school that I will probably love, but can't decide if I'd ever attend for the extra cost! So my question is, is there any justification in going an extra 17K to attend Creighton over UT?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes - the justification is that you'll be happier at your top choice school. It's worth the money for that.

I agree, and Creighton's tuition is closer to 40k for our entering year (something like 38,500 not including fees, etc.)

Members don't see this ad :)
"Fit" is worth it. Trust me.

eiiza6eth said:
I have already been accepted to my state school (U TN), and I am very excited about the school. However, I just received an interview invite to a private school (creighton) approximately 700 miles away. This school was my number one choice, shot-in-the-dark-type school. Problem is, my state school is 18K per year tuituion while this private school is 35K. I am trying to decide wheter or not to fork over the great amount of money for a plane ticket, hotel, and the cost of missing work 2 days to interview at a school that I will probably love, but can't decide if I'd ever attend for the extra cost! So my question is, is there any justification in going an extra 17K to attend Creighton over UT?

I agree with the others, I actually interviewed at the far away "dream school" first but was accepted to my state school in October and the private institution (nonrolling) this week. Now I am agonizing over the decision but if I hadn't gone to the out of state interview I wouldn't even have the luxury of making a decision! Go for it!!

Although UT wasn't my "dream school," after I interviewed there, I became really excited about it too. I feel I would "fit" there. I also have family, friends, and support here. I didn't realize Creighton was even higher than I listed. If I had gotten an interview there first, there's no doubt I would have gone, but now...I could go to Belgium just about for the cost. But, if I go interview and I really really love it, is it worth double the cost?

pinkice said:
I agree with the others, I actually interviewed at the far away "dream school" first but was accepted to my state school in October and the private institution (nonrolling) this week. Now I am agonizing over the decision but if I hadn't gone to the out of state interview I wouldn't even have the luxury of making a decision! Go for it!!

Tough call...it is nice to have family and friends nearby if you stay in your state, plus the low tuition, but I interviewed at Creighton, really nice school and campus, but Omaha seems kinda boring, and its far away for you...depends whats more important to you, but i dont think it would hurt to interview at Creighton, check it out, see how you feel, and compare the "feeling" to UTN...then decide...good luck!!

I'm sorry I disagree. Quality of life is important too---and so less debt is better--unless you dislike the state school for some reason

eiiza6eth said:
Although UT wasn't my "dream school," after I interviewed there, I became really excited about it too. I feel I would "fit" there. I also have family, friends, and support here. I didn't realize Creighton was even higher than I listed. If I had gotten an interview there first, there's no doubt I would have gone, but now...I could go to Belgium just about for the cost. But, if I go interview and I really really love it, is it worth double the cost?

Mind if I ask when you found out about the Creighton invite and how they notified you. I have been really interested in them too and everytime I check on my status they say that they haven't pulled my file yet and can't tell me when they will. I had given up hope but would be really pysched if they are still giving out invites.Thanks!

PS--If I were you, I would at least go an check out the school. You might end up at Tennessee but the more information you have when you make your decision will only make it easier to make.

I received the same response when i'd check my stats, only the lady informed me also that it was a random decision whose they pull next. So if you haven't been rejected, they probably haven't even looked at you yet! I just received an email asking me to confirm a date (1 of 3 fridays to pick from) that i would like to interview.

kwc1979 said:
Mind if I ask when you found out about the Creighton invite and how they notified you. I have been really interested in them too and everytime I check on my status they say that they haven't pulled my file yet and can't tell me when they will. I had given up hope but would be really pysched if they are still giving out invites.Thanks!

PS--If I were you, I would at least go an check out the school. You might end up at Tennessee but the more information you have when you make your decision will only make it easier to make.

I have heard from quite a few UT students that the first two years there are quite brutal in that the school does not give a hoot about the students. This has come from various medical students I spoke with. The last two years are excellent due to the tremendous hands-on you will get. Unless the administration has changed and they are listening to students I would interview at Creighton and see what happens. Talk to as many medical students as you can from UT and get the real scoop...

To the OP--i have to side with the state school here. I choose to stay at a state school because it was a good fit and MUCH cheaper (you have to think not only of borrowing for tuition, but also living expenses). By all means go interview at Creighton, but i would encourage you to think seriously about the cost in addition to personal factors (ie-family and friends are very important to your overall happiness in med school IMHO). As someone who just applied for residencies, i really think the importance of your medical school "name" is often overrated with regard to its influence on the residency application/selection process. There is some regionalism in the process (ie-local programs often know your LOR writers) but i was never intimidated by the other students from the "big name" schools. I too had the "dream program", but discovered it was not a great fit for me when i visited. I would suggest you go check out Creighton and see what type of vibe you get....it may not be the "fit" you think it is on paper. Then, you won't have to worry for the next four years that you choose poorly. Best of luck to you.

My advice is go to the interview. Almost everyone who comes through Creighton is greatly surprised about how cohesive our family is here and how great the facilities are . Omaha isn't half bad either (and I came from sunny San Diego). I was in a similar situation kind of. I got into Medical College of Ohio and after the first year there, they let you become a state resident where tuition is only like 20k. I was all ready to go to Ohio but Dr. Nipper called me up and invited me to Creighton. I jumped at the chance to go to Creighton even though I would end up paying 50k more over 4 years to attend. This is because I had a great vibe at Creighton during my visit and my gut told me I'd enjoy my 4 years here than at MCO (which is a fine school). My point is, you want to be happy where you are gonna be the next 4 years cause med school is no fun.

Jetson