Cost of Attendance Scholarships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChemistryisFON

Reaction score
Hey! I was wondering if anyone knew of a list or examples of scholarships that could be applied to the cost of attendance/living/indirect costs of medical school? The big scholarships like Samvid and Tylenol only apply to tuition, so I am curious if anyone knows of any that can also be applied to the indirect costs. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I’m pretty sure they’re few and far between. Most companies don’t really feel a need to help out students who have the highest probability of being in the top 1-5% of income earners.

I’m pretty sure they’re few and far between. Most companies don’t really feel a need to help out students who have the highest probability of being in the top 1-5% of income earners.
POV: when your scholarship from the medical school is predominantly based on need :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
POV: when your scholarship from the medical school is predominantly based on need :rolleyes:
It’s largely about future earnings. Not making a value based judgement on whether companies should offer them, but this is why they don’t.

Reactions: 1 users
It’s largely about future earnings. Not making a value based judgement on whether companies should offer them, but this is why they don’t.
This^^^. Financial need = cannot attend without assistance. This applies in UG, since federal loans have relatively modest caps, and people whose parents have bad credit and/or low income simply do not have the ability to borrow the COA at most schools. Plus, they have very uncertain future earnings prospects, depending on what they are studying.

OTOH, every medical student in the country, other than those attending schools like CNU that do not participate in the federal loan program, has an ability to borrow the full COA to become a doctor, where even the lowest paying specialty will place them in top 1-5% of the country in terms of future income. People might be poor now, but no one "needs" scholarship money to attend medical school.

In fact, many low income applicants who are not fortunate enough to be admitted to Harvard, NYU, Columbia, etc. find that, even with a FAFSA EFC of $0, including their parents' income, their financial aid consists entirely of federal and institutional loans. They all go on to have great lives, either repaying the loans or becoming eligible for loan forgiveness.

Many private donors would rather their money go to pay for more teachers, social workers, philosophers, etc. than doctors, who, as @voxveritatisetlucis said, will have a very healthy future income to fund their education, and only need access to loans, not gifts.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
If you are an immigrant or child of an immigrant you could consider applying to the Soros scholarship: The Paul & Daisy Soros Fellowships for New Americans. They offer a very generous living stipend.

In addition, Dolores Zohrab Liebmann Fund has a stipend to cover cost of living.

I've also found a couple I'm eligible for through my State/Undergrad institution so that might be worth a try - I contacted my undergrad pre-med office directly and they were able to point me towards some scholarships and loans. I've also heard of people finding them through local Rotary clubs, although they all have their own terms as to what the scholarship can be used for.

Wishing you the best of luck :)

Reactions: 1 user
If there is a PEO chapter in your state, you could also get a nomination and apply to their funds. I think it is an educational loan with no interest until graduation, not a scholarship sadly.

Reactions: 1 user