Cost of living in Minn?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marinemammal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I plan on going to U of M, and wanted a somewhat decent idea of what, besides tuition I need to budget for. I've been looking at some places in downtown St. Paul, but they are very $$$. So this got me wondering is looking at the apartments I am is even feasible or should I resign myself to some cold dark cellar apartment?;)

What does everyone spend about in living expenses? Like rent and utilities? Also, does anyone live by themselves, or roommates the way that everyone goes?

Thanks!!

(Repeating debtors mantra to myself- I must not spend more than needed. I must not spend more than needed...):)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I rented a loft off of University and Raymond with my husband while I was in school. Our housing was subsidized (HUD housing), but still cost about $850 per month plus electricity (which ranged from $60 per month in the winter to $120 per month in the summer). For the apartment we had, the price was quite reasonable, but I think most people lived in apartments that were closer to $550 or $650 per month. There are people in the St. Anthony Park neighborhood that rent out rooms to students, and those homes are usually walking distance from school.

I'd say most people lived with roommates, but not everyone. That definitely makes expenses more reasonable!

Good luck finding a place to live :)

Hi all,

I plan on going to U of M, and wanted a somewhat decent idea of what, besides tuition I need to budget for. I've been looking at some places in downtown St. Paul, but they are very $$$. So this got me wondering is looking at the apartments I am is even feasible or should I resign myself to some cold dark cellar apartment?;)

What does everyone spend about in living expenses? Like rent and utilities? Also, does anyone live by themselves, or roommates the way that everyone goes?

Thanks!!

(Repeating debtors mantra to myself- I must not spend more than needed. I must not spend more than needed...):)

Hi, marinemammal! Off topic, but you should post on the Minnesota c/o 2014 thread. There are six of us soon-to-be first-years in there. A few of us are even planning to get together next week, although it sounds like you may be an OOS resident?

On topic, I used to live in downtown St. Paul and loved it, but you might find cheaper options closer to campus. Plus the commute from downtown to campus will take longer than you expect... Have you checked out the Vet Med Roommate Connection Facebook page yet? It might help you get an idea for rent and utility prices in the campus area. Plus they have listings for housing even if you don't want a roommate.

Good luck. Can't wait to meet you in the fall!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd put in a vote for looking for rooms to rent in Saint Anthony Park - that's where I'm living, and it's both a really nice part of town and very convenient to the school. I'm not sure about pricing in this area, though. (My rent situation is a little different, so I don't know if telling you how much I pay would be really helpful.)

Hey,
I was just looking around the boards and noticed this post.
I currently live in St. Paul at an apartment for 585 a month.
You should look in Prospect Park, Marcy Holme's (although this neighborhood has a high crime rate) and Como. Como will be your best bet..especially in St. Paul. Like others have said, St. Anthony Park is good, too. If you don't mind the commute Roseville isn't too far.
Good luck!