Cost of living?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NittanyKitty

NCSU CVM c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently working on a spreadsheet of all of my estimated costs for attending the schools where I've been accepted. Making a financially "sensible" investment in my education is a huuuuge part of this decision for me, so I'm trying to account for as many financial expenditures as I can. Right now I'm having some trouble finding information on average monthly gas/electric/water/etc. payments. Would anyone mind sharing a ballpark figure of what they pay for these utilities and if they're living in an apartment/house/condo/tent/car/hole? I'm specifically interested in Philly, Wisconsin, and Missouri, but any help would be great. 🙂 Even if it's an estimate, it'll definitely be better than nothing!
 
Hey Nittany!!

I talked to a real estate agent the other day and he said for a 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment/duplex type place it usually runs around $120 per month if 2 people are living together. Most places had free trash removal/lawn care and some even had free internet. A couple also let you rent washer/dryer in your apartment for $30 extra per month. Also, most places had a $300 non refundable pet charge or a monthly charge of around $20.00. I hope these figures are accurate he seemed like a knowledgeable guy.

p.s I think you should join the University of Missouri CVM class of 2014 facebook group. There are a couple people in the group who are also deciding between Mizzou and another school 🙂
 
For Madison utility prices, you can go to www.mge.com and look up average costs for a specific address. (Look under "Average Energy Use and Cost" on the lower left-hand side.)

(You can look up my old apartment, if you want a ballpark for a 3 bedroom, 1 bath basement-level apartment in a small building--9 units total). The address is 141 W Gilman St Apt G.

I can't remember what our costs were (we were lucky enough that the landlords accidentally put "owner pays utilities" in the lease... haha! So we never paid this cost out of pocket.) This building was newly rennovated, so the cost is probably lower than in older buildings, especially if you interested in a house. (Most of the houses in Madison are super old and not well-insulated).

PS Rent here was ~$1400/mo.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The address is .

Hey, I may be a bit of a freak, but I strongly suggest NOT posting your address on a public forum. PM if you want to share but there are some really freaky predators around.

for the OP, you can look of COL averages on google.
 
Hey, I may be a bit of a freak, but I strongly suggest NOT posting your address on a public forum. PM if you want to share but there are some really freaky predators around.

for the OP, you can look of COL averages on google.

She did say that was her OLD apartment. 😉
 
my bad. silly old me just believes in not making anyone vulnerable. I will go back ot the old fogies place now.
 
Hey Nittany,

I live in an all-electric 2 bedroom condo with washer, dryer, dishwasher and electric heat (all of which contribute to that electrical bill!). Last month our electricity bill was $185. That was definitely the most I've ever paid for an electrical bill but 1) we are on the first floor, above an unheated basement, 2) I've always had either gas or oil heat and 3) the average temperature in January (at least according to PECO) was 33 degrees!

Back in September/October, our bill was more in the $100 range.

We don't have cable, but do have internet and phone thru Comcast. I think that bill is around $70/month.

Water is "free" in my building, and in a good number of the bigger apartment buildings in the area from what I've heard.

On another note, if you end up at Penn and really want to budget, Alpha Psi (the veterinary fraternity) is looking for people to live in their house next year. It is dirt cheap and has a HUGE backyard, which is awesome if you have a dog.
 
Hey, I may be a bit of a freak, but I strongly suggest NOT posting your address on a public forum. PM if you want to share but there are some really freaky predators around.

for the OP, you can look of COL averages on google.

Geez louise, people! I haven't lived at that address for three years... Plus anyone who has access to mapquest or google maps can look up any address. Its not like I put the master key outside and said "have at it..."
 
my bad. silly old me just believes in not making anyone vulnerable. I will go back ot the old fogies place now.

Aw, sumstorm, don't leave - I like when you give advice! 🙂 You're way too fast-paced for the old fogies place anyhow.