Cost of living

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jessica

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess cost of driving would have been a more appropriate title :)

Does anyone know whether car insurance, vehicle registration, gas, etc. are cheaper on the east coast (specifically Baltimore or Boston) vs. California?

I am trying to work out a budget for next year, and I'd like to take my car with me if possible (I know that both cities have good public transportation, but I am still making payments on my car and I owe more than it is worth, so even if I sell it I will still have to make payments... so I figured... why not just try to take it with me if I am going to have to pay for it either way??)

Can any of you help my clueless self? :confused: :p

Members don't see this ad.

No idea... sorry, but while we're at it, does anyone know the answer to the same question for Wisconsin versus Illinois?

•••quote:•••(I know that both cities have good public transportation</font>•••Baltimore's public transportation isn't awful, but I don't think I'd go so far as to call it "good." :)

Members don't see this ad :)
You can get free online quotes from Geico and I think Progressive, just enter the different zip codes you're trying to compare. I don't remember if they ask you for an actual address but you can use the school's address to get a pretty good approximation.

Registration often depends heavily on the age of the car, it goes down each year, but differently for each state, so it's hard to say on that count.

Gas is ~20-30 cents cheaper per gallon in Baltimore, and probably Boston too, than the Bay Area, not sure about Southern Cal.

Jessica,

You should call and get some quotes for car insurance. Try Progressive or something, that's what insurance companies live for--to give out quotes. I know that in Philly the rates for insurance are REALLY high (let's not even get into parking fees!!!). Apparently car theft is the crime of choice in Philadelphia. So I think it depends on the city. As for registration, aren't you from CA? It has to be cheaper than CA. But you can probably find out this info on the internet.

Gas is just as expensive, if not more so in So Cal vs. Northen Cali. . .

If you end up in Boston you DO NOT need your car. While the 'T' isn't perfect (especially if you're from NYC), it's decent enough to get you wherever you need to go. If I were to stay in Boston to go to medical school, I wouldn't bring my car back here. . . I've been in Boston for a year now without my car after being car-dependent since I was sixteen. You won't miss it during medical school here. Trust me. :)

Thanks for the replies everyone :) :D

I totally agree with the fly. It's much easier depending on the bus and/or train in Boston.

"Moo"-

As far as WI vs. IL:

gas is cheaper in Illinois than in the Milwaukee area due to a different "special" type of gas in Milw. The rest of WI varies, but is probably $.05 higher than in IL on average. The exception to this is probably Chicago, which I assume has high gas prices relative to its suburbs, the rest of IL (and WI).

Insurance---my guess is that WI is in general cheaper than IL...you can call an insurance agent and ask, all you need is the new zip code and the computer pops it right up for them.

Registration--I don't know initial registration fees but my WI plate renewal is $45/year.

I lived in Baltimore last summer for an internship and comparing it to the South it was more expensive. The gas would run about 30 cents more in Baltimore, but considering gas in the South is about the cheapest you can find...I guess that puts Baltimore about average. The only other thing that gets expensive is parking. There is hardly any free parking availible in Baltimore, so be prepared to pay some for that. Overall, I would definately recommend having a car there. I think it would be worth it.

Car insurance in Boston area is quite expensive.

Hi Jessica,
I moved to Boston from Colorado last year and my car insurance nearly doubled. I don't know how California compares, but I have heard (and experienced) that Boston has more expensive insurance than most cities. Also, I found it difficult to find a company that actually offered insurance for residents of Boston. Hope this helps!