Cost of M2 vs M1 year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

itssofluffy3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to figure out how much to budget for M2 by comparing it to M1 year.
Besides the cost of Step (+610$), can someone give an estimate about how much more money I need to take into account for step prep materials?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Review materials

-You will need to buy Pathoma, UWorld, and First Aid. People like Sketchymicro and other review books/materials too.
-You will buy practice NBME's which are around $50/each, I believe.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
-You will need to buy Pathoma, UWorld, and First Aid. People like Sketchymicro and other review books/materials too.

This sounds pretty accurate. I'd say in addition to the money for Step 1, $1,000 for review materials is safe (Uworld is ~500 for full year sub + self-assessments, 100-200 for nbmes, 100 for pathoma, which leaves 200-300 for other resources like sketchy and FA). Other than that it's pretty similar to first year.

I'd add that some people take a vacation after boards and before third year, so if you're considering doing that you might want to take out a little extra for that as well.

You may end up not needing it, but I'd budget for buying DIT or UsmleRx or something similar. Better to end up not needing it and having an extra $700 than find yourself in need of more guidance and without the cash to buy it.

I was so broke at the end of M2 lol
Seriously, every day after Step 1 was a countdown to pay day (refund check dropping).

Reactions: 2 users

Which of the NBMEs should I buy?

Budget to get all of them. You will buy them like the day of or day before you take them. It's $50 for "normal" feedback where you just get your score, and $60 for extended feedback which shows you the questions you got wrong (but not what the right answer was).
Not really related to OP's question, but according to some people I know who just took step 1, they just recently changed the practice NBME score report so that you can see the correct answers. Also, per the NBME self assessment website, they'll be doing that with the step 2 practice tests from July 10th on.

Maybe to reduce people posting online about questions? Who knows, but I think it's great news!

Not really related to OP's question, but according to some people I know who just took step 1, they just recently changed the practice NBME score report so that you can see the correct answers. Also, per the NBME self assessment website, they'll be doing that with the step 2 practice tests from July 10th on.

Maybe to reduce people posting online about questions? Who knows, but I think it's great news!

Honestly, they should give at least a short explanation too. AAFP has 1300 free FM questions and all have a paragraph with a citation. I think $60 for 200 questions deserves the same.