Cost of Moving

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loveumms

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is extremely variable but, I just wanted to get some rough estimates of the cost of moving.

For those of you who have moved recently can you please comment on where you moved from and to, if you used a rental truck or a moving company and how much you paid.

I just want to try and figure out how much I should be saving. Uhaul will work for the programs that are close but, if we have to move across multiple states I don't think I really want to have to drive a Uhaul and then unpack it ourselves (since I'm sure our friends/family are not willing to drive 10 hours to help us unpack).

Members don't see this ad.

As you note, it varies widely and depends on how far, how much stuff, and how much you pack yourself.

A cross-country move of a 3 bedroom home with appliances can run you $10-$15K by professional movers. The rate goes down the less stuff they have to move and the less distance. You can get on-line quotes from the major players.

Moving stuff yourself is always cheaper. You don't have to have friends or family come along to help unload as there are companies which provide day labor (UHaul gave me the info) in most cities...you hire a couple of guys for $20-$50/hr to help you in your new location. I spent about a thousand moving cross country, and that included food and hotels.

There have been several threads on this topic...most everyone hates UHaul (I never had a problem with them, but I used the largest trucks they have, rather than the smaller vans and trucks which get driven hard), and recommends Penske or other companies. There also have been warnings about not using the major professional moving companies, with some other companies holding your stuff hostage until you pay out several thousand more than they originally quoted you. So stick with the big guys...Mayflower, Bekins, etc

many moving companies provide free online quotes (u tell them what u need to have moved, how many boxes, etc). that might get u more specific info.