moving and DMV issues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOFOSHO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
moved from state A to state B for a 1 year program. My car registration expires in August so I renewed it, however, DMV from state A will not send it to my new address in state B. I understand why they won't do it. Has anyone had this issue and successfully received registration/tag renewal in new state? I do not know who lives at the old address in state A so I wouldn't be able to ask them to send it. Will USPS forward it if I have mail forwarding? Does premium forwarding help?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have family/friends in state A they can mail it to, then they can send it to you?

It would probably be forwarded, but it depends on the state. The state generally has an interest in their DMV mailings being forwarded to the right people, to ensure people renew their plates.
The only people I knew who kept renewing in a prior state were those with family there to use the address.

Reactions: 1 users
moved from state A to state B for a 1 year program. My car registration expires in August so I renewed it, however, DMV from state A will not send it to my new address in state B. I understand why they won't do it. Has anyone had this issue and successfully received registration/tag renewal in new state? I do not know who lives at the old address in state A so I wouldn't be able to ask them to send it. Will USPS forward it if I have mail forwarding? Does premium forwarding help?
Have it forwarded

Likely would be forwarded, but this is likely to be a recurring problem for you. It would be better in the long run to just get your car registered in the new state. Some states have limited Saturday DMV hours, or on ward months it’s not uncommon to have random weekdays off. Would either of these be options for you?

I believe there's also a concern about insurance. Insurance rates depend upon where the car is mostly garaged. If you keep your car registered one place but actually use it somewhere else, there's some chance that if you submit a claim that your insurance company will refuse to pay, since you failed to tell them you were moving. I'm not a lawyer, nor has this happened to me -- so I'm not certain how valid it is.

Reactions: 3 users
I believe there's also a concern about insurance. Insurance rates depend upon where the car is mostly garaged. If you keep your car registered one place but actually use it somewhere else, there's some chance that if you submit a claim that your insurance company will refuse to pay, since you failed to tell them you were moving. I'm not a lawyer, nor has this happened to me -- so I'm not certain how valid it is.

Can confirm that rates vary by state.

Moved from State A to state B for a 1 year fellowship program. Changed the address with my car insurance provider. The rates dropped by half. Moved back to state A afterwards and right back up they went.

Had an interesting conversation with one of my attendings about the moving/address change issue. Sometime late in the academic year (e.g. April/May) it came up in conversation that I hadn't gotten a state B license or registered my car in state B. My attending was under the impression that I was breaking the law. It may be worth exploring if its kosher to simply change the address on your drivers license/registration or if you actually need to register in the state you are moving to.

Can confirm that rates vary by state.

Moved from State A to state B for a 1 year fellowship program. Changed the address with my car insurance provider. The rates dropped by half. Moved back to state A afterwards and right back up they went.

Had an interesting conversation with one of my attendings about the moving/address change issue. Sometime late in the academic year (e.g. April/May) it came up in conversation that I hadn't gotten a state B license or registered my car in state B. My attending was under the impression that I was breaking the law. It may be worth exploring if its kosher to simply change the address on your drivers license/registration or if you actually need to register in the state you are moving to.
I got a ticket in SC for "failure to aquire (sic) license plate" or some such (yes, the officer spelled "acquire" incorrectly). Went to court, got it reduced.

Most states will have rules on the timeline of this and a lot has to do with your state residency. I'd bet that since you are going to be living in and working in one state, and as a result likely filing taxes in that state, then all would consider you moving. Some states require you to update your driver's license and registration within 30 days. My intern year it took me about 4-5 mos to do it all though.

Reactions: 1 user

This is correct.

You get your insurance based on where you park your car. I'm sure it's hit or miss if you get into an accident on whether it's covered or not, but what's the point of insurance if it's hit or miss?

If you're in a no-fault state, then you're up the creek without a paddle if you don't have no-fault insurance. Most no-fault states require you to have no-fault insurance (or a rider) if you're there over 30 days. That includes both students and workers (ie., interns/residents). It's the law in these states.

I knew lots of interns who did not change their plates/insurance in the no-fault state I did my internship. All technically illegal since we were all considered residents of that state as we lived/worked there. And as a no-fault state, if any of them got into an accident they would have been in big financial/legal trouble.

Drivers' licenses/plates can often still remain out of state if you have ties to a different state (ie., you claim residency in your home state as a med student). Many states that's perfectly legal. But you still should have local insurance (and in the case of no-fault states, you need local insurance).

It would be hard for an intern/resident to claim out-of-state residency.